Went to condition 0 zero today

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulR

NES Member
First time in a while. I walked into the bank to cash a large check to get some Christmas cash. There is a foreign man ( I must be a xenophobe) in the vestibule screaming through a cell phone in a foreign language I cannot understand (yep, xenophobia). So I walk in, think not too much of it. One teller is waiting on someone, the other teller is just standing there, so I start to walk up to her and I notice an unattended backpack on the floor in front of her area...I say "oh, did someone forget a backpack?" She says "it's his" and points out to the man still screaming on the cell phone in the vestibule. "ah" I say, then I look up to her teller table area and also notice a pile of papers of his and whatever else I don't recall. The man continues to raise everyone's awareness. The other teller says "I can help you over here". As I walk up to her counter area, she takes my check, begins my transaction, I stand and wait, reach into my pocket discreetly "CLICK".

She counts all my hundreds, transaction done.
As I leave the man is still in the vestibule, I watch him as he watches me stuff my cash in my other front pocket.
I drive off to get my large moca latte.
Next location: I'm saying to myself "ok, remember the safety's off now, so if you have to draw, don't friggen flip it again or your dead meat" lol,
It's always tough to carry a Sig sometimes where the safety is one way and a Shield where the safety is the other way.

Next location: I'm saying to myself "ok, remember the safety's off now, so if you have to draw, don't friggen flip it again or your dead meat" lol,
It's always tough to carry a Sig sometimes where the safety is one way and a Shield where the safety is the other way.

That’s why none of my carry guns have a safety. No sense adding a possible complication.

Glad it turned out to be a non-event.

Bob

I gotta ask - when you saw him, why not go through the drive-thru instead?

I hate the drive through.
I was already committed to the teller.
It was a decent chunk of change, although the teller knew me, wasn't I would get one that knew me, and I feel weird asking for that much through the drive through.
It was one where she had to re-count, and get an over-ride from the manager type transactions.
:)

First time in a while. I walked into the bank to cash a large check to get some Christmas cash. There is a foreign man ( I must be a xenophobe) in the vestibule screaming through a cell phone in a foreign language I cannot understand (yep, xenophobia). So I walk in, think not too much of it. One teller is waiting on someone, the other teller is just standing there, so I start to walk up to her and I notice an unattended backpack on the floor in front of her area...I say "oh, did someone forget a backpack?" She says "it's his" and points out to the man still screaming on the cell phone in the vestibule. "ah" I say, then I look up to her teller table area and also notice a pile of papers of his and whatever else I don't recall. The man continues to raise everyone's awareness. The other teller says "I can help you over here". As I walk up to her counter area, she takes my check, begins my transaction, I stand and wait, reach into my pocket discreetly "CLICK".

She counts all my hundreds, transaction done.
As I leave the man is still in the vestibule, I watch him as he watches me stuff my cash in my other front pocket.
I drive off to get my large moca latte.
Situational awareness at its best!

Your safety should come off, only when the gun is coming onto target. Accident waiting to happen, just my opinion, take it for what it’s worth.
I you practice enough, it will be automatic. Unless you planned on shooting through pocket, in which case you would probably only get off one shot.
Glad all was ok.

I’m confused. So an unattended bag and guy talking loudly in a language you don’t understand concerned you. In what way? Usually the unattended bag thing has to do with there being something bad in the bag, so a gun does you no good. The prudent thing to do would be leave, not disengage a safety if your concerned.

And as far as the safety thing goes, if you concerned about a shooter, it’s still prudent to leave not disengage it. If it’s not a serious concern but rather a raised awareness situation, why disengage it?

This does indicate a training/equipment issue, especially since you mentioned you sometimes carry a different pistol with a different type of safety that you think could cause mistakes on your part.

Condition 0 wouldn’t have helped you if that bag would have detonated. You should have just left.

Clicking off the safety in your pocket is asking to be “fixed” without anesthesia

I’m confused. So an unattended bag and guy talking loudly in a language you don’t understand concerned you. In what way? Usually the unattended bag thing has to do with there being something bad in the bag, so a gun does you no good. The prudent thing to do would be leave, not disengage a safety if your concerned.

And as far as the safety thing goes, if you concerned about a shooter, it’s still prudent to leave not disengage it. If it’s not a serious concern but rather a raised awareness situation, why disengage it?

This does indicate a training/equipment issue, especially since you mentioned you sometimes carry a different pistol with a different type of safety that you think could cause mistakes on your part.

You're exactly right. I could use more training. Thank you. Can you recommend someone/professional that does situational training? Thanks again. :)

I would add, If you determine the back pack may be a problem. Leaving yourself is not the entire answer. Getting everyone out expeditiously, without waving your arms and then alerting LE of the situation is a better track.

I’m confused. So an unattended bag and guy talking loudly in a language you don’t understand concerned you. In what way? Usually the unattended bag thing has to do with there being something bad in the bag, so a gun does you no good. The prudent thing to do would be leave .... if your concerned....

IMHO = ☝ THIS 👆

I was mainly referring to training involving firearms manipulation , though of course it’s never a bad idea to train about other things too.

Many people won’t use firearms with manual external safeties for carry guns to just eliminate any potential issues involving them, but if you are going to carry a firearm with one, you should be confident enough in your ability to use them so that you aren’t even thinking things like preemptively disengaging it, concerned about accidentally engaging it when you don’t want to, or what condition it’s currently in. That you recognized these things is a good thing. Recognizing you may have an issue is the first step. It means it can be corrected.

The first thing I’d recommend is to consolidate your manual of arms (with regards to your carry guns). Sometimes carrying one gun with one safety and another with a safety that operates differently or in the opposite way opens you up to problems that otherwise wouldn’t exist. If you are going to use a manual safety, that’s fine. But you want them consistent in their operation in all your carry guns.

Situational awareness at its best!
I probably would argue leaving, getting a cup of coffee and coming back 20 minutes later would have been the smarter play.

Only time I would carry with a safety would be emergency pocket carry or new holster on break in week.

You do get bonus points for carrying with one in the chamber. And for noticing a malcontent.

I dont know why but my dad s words are echoing in my head.
If you think you need to carry where your going maybe you should not go there.
Switch the words up a bit....if you think you need to pre disengage your safety maybe you should just leave or f*** it draw down on the guy and pull a "is this your f***ing bag, dont leave your shit laying around ! Now come get your bag and get the f*** out of here"!!!!!

"Bonesinium said:
I’m confused. So an unattended bag and guy talking loudly in a language you don’t understand concerned you. In what way? Usually the unattended bag thing has to do with there being something bad in the bag, so a gun does you no good. The prudent thing to do would be leave .... if your concerned...."

Foreign Language meaning: He could have been yelling "my backpack bomb didn't go off so I'm going to go back in there and start shooting everyone bladdy blah blah".....and I never would have known what he was yelling as I walked by him. :rolleyes:
[tinfoil]
I continued into the bank and decided to complete my transaction for the reason that A) chances of something going south on an overall basis were still slim to none....and 2) I hate traveling to this bank which is in the next town over anyways since they got rid of my local branch, and I really didn't feel like screwing around having to come back yet again on account of some whack job.
In general terms: Things weren't normal, so I increased my awareness.
[popcorn]
sorry for the crappy story. 🤡

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom