• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Went to Dean Safety at the mill

A bit of an oversimplification. Every business select the customers they target, true. But how many times do you see a steakhouse with a sign out front that said "If you order a salad you are an idiot and not welcome".

No, it's not. Your POV is jaded by the notion of "open retail". A lot of people are doing business in something other than that model. Also other businesses "offend" snowflakes like that all the time, it's just not put up on a sign. That's literally the only difference here- the sign just forestalls some of the inevitable time-wasting conversations from happening.

Problem: In any gun shop there is an enormous amount of "possible customers" (at least 20%, sometimes up to 50% or more) who cross the retail threshold that are basically just there to waste your time and suck information out of you; then in turn they will skinflint and go elsewhere to buy their stuff if they bother buying it at all.

Solution: Do something that will piss off low info/low IQ buyers/time wasters, get them to self-deselect. These people are more likely to be tire kickers.

Putting up something that will offend dumb/weak people is absolutely brilliant.

Of course it business owner's right to do it however is best for them. Or in this case, the tough guy way they understand.

Nothing "tough guy" about it. It's a humorous shit filter, is what it is. If someone is "upset" by that sign or thinks its a "tough guy" thing, that's probably not the kind of customer they want to do business with. It's a great way to filter out people who seem to have a pole permanently jammed up their ass.

Not understanding what you are saying?
  • The mill business increased 10x. Spoiler alert: all gun related business has gone through the roof. The mill did nothing special.
  • You will only use the mill for stuff your FFL cannot get or his volume makes it unreasonably priced. Yet, you congratulate yourself for supporting you local FFL. These two statement (your words) are in direct contrast.
Even though I work 10 minutes from the mill, I am so happy that I am not even tempted to go there. Every story or testimonial that the mill-lovers posted have made it sound worse and worse. Maybe @MAGAArms is cooking up another marketing campaign!
You misread my post. I said I was willing to pay extra at my local FFL for things he could get but had to price higher than the DE. I said I only use the Mill for things I can’t get from my local FFL, no matter what the price. And I wasn’t saying that the Mill did anything special to increase its volume, I just said I thought they did a good job in handling it.

ETA you might be confusing when I said that my local FFL simply can not get certain things that either the Mill or the DE can get because his volume is not high enough to even get an allocation of certain firearms. In some cases, if it is a common gun that he just can’t get from his distributors but I can get from one of the major internet vendors, I’ll buy it from the internet and use him as the FFL and give him a $50 transfer fee.

Last edited:
No, it's not. Your POV is jaded by the notion of "open retail". A lot of people are doing business in something other than that model. Also other businesses "offend" snowflakes like that all the time, it's just not put up on a sign. That's literally the only difference here- the sign just forestalls some of the inevitable time-wasting conversations from happening.

Problem: In any gun shop there is an enormous amount of "possible customers" (at least 20%, sometimes up to 50% or more) who cross the retail threshold that are basically just there to waste your time and suck information out of you; then in turn they will skinflint and go elsewhere to buy their stuff if they bother buying it at all.

Solution: Do something that will piss off low info/low IQ buyers/time wasters, get them to self-deselect. These people are more likely to be tire kickers.

Nothing "tough guy" about it. It's a humorous shit filter, is what it is. If someone is "upset" by that sign or thinks its a "tough guy" thing, that's probably not the kind of customer they want to do business with. It's a great way to filter out people who seem to have a pole permanently jammed up their ass.

Fair enough. Just not how I choose to do business. And it perpetuates the gun store myth, which I guess is exactly how mooks like this choose to build their brand. I personally end up doing a ton of business with my initial customers who are "tire kickers", so I see the other side. Que Sera.

Do any of you Mill dealers have Sig P365s? Myself and two buddies are looking to pick one up...3 total.
Not SAS, not XL, just the plain Jane version.
A friend of mine picked one up recently at the Mill. Bought it from one of the "other" stores. I believe he had more. Probably hard to spot though, he had a lot of garbage for sale as well.

agree. If I had a space available on the floor I would make it available for that use at N/C to whoever wanted to manage it. Problem is that when a space comes up it suddenly fills up with FFL tenants. The hallway widens
The trigger sucks but that’s an easy fix. Outside of that Nothing, it’s a great carry gun.
I really like my Shield .45. For nine mike mike, the P365. Had two shield 9’s and did not like, but found the .45 to be good handling and carrying for the size.

I have purchased many firearms from Randy and this thread reminds me of my favorite Italian restaurant about 10 yrs ago. Mino Gliberti owned Buon Appetite in Westfield and one evening a customer ordered a fish dinner/entree. When waitress brought his order he asked for grated cheese and waitress said no go, you don't put cheese on fish in an Italian restaurant. Customer started arguing and asked to speak to boss. Mino came out of kitchen and asked what's the problem, customer explained he wanted cheese and Mino said no go, Italians don't put cheese on fine fish, it's an insult. Customer was pissed stated the I'm the customer and I'm right. Mino replied my restaurant, my rules. Customer departed in a huff and went to dining forum to bitch about Mino and to state he would never return. He was roasted on Masslive by loyal customers and Mino replied, my restaurant my rules. Next time we dined there(reservations were suggested) Mino had menu's reprinted with a disclaimer on bottom that stated no cheese will be added to fish entree's. I so miss him and his cooking. This was during Obama admin and he bitched he couldn't hire good help because of the stimulus package. He would say to us, "this is all the fault of you're f***ing President". I told him I didn't vote for Obama [rofl]

LMAO. I'm betting you'd be pretty pissy too, with a pole jammed up your ass. You could have said stick, but no, you've gotta use a pole.

Last edited:
I really like my Shield .45. For nine mike mike, the P365. Had two shield 9’s and did not like, but found the .45 to be good handling and carrying for the size.
I never tried the Shield .45 but have heard good stuff from a couple guys I know. The P365 is outstanding for sure

When I lived in Milan I often dinned out at any one of the many trattorias there. I'll never forget getting banned from one place for not finishing my meal. I actually was just full, but the waiter asked if there was anything wrong with the food. I said I was just full and that the food was fine. He asked if I wanted to take the leftovers home, but I was not going to be home for a while and since it was summer I didn’t want to leave it in the car (this was lunch time). So the waiter comes back with the chef/owner who asks me what’s wrong with the food. Again, nothing I’m just full. He says that if I don’t like the food, I don’t have to pay for it. I say the food was fine, I’m happy to pay for it. He starts to get pissed off and says if the food was fine why didn’t you eat it. He just would not believe I was just full and didn’t want to eat anymore. This went on for a while until he final just said, “get out, I don’t want your money and I don’t want you back in here.’ I was never sure if he was just putting on a show with the American for the benefit of his Italian customers or if he was really serious, but I never did go back.

Years ago myself and several other police firearm instructors (possible @lowbuckbob was with me this day but I can’t remember) were asked to test the ‘new’ M&P .45 when they were first introduced and police depts wanted to swap up from 9mm to .45

SW was offering a fair discount if we decided to then go with their offering. We said sure send us a couple cases for testing and a bunch of us went down to Hanson and started going over them.

No exaggeration at all, we had 9 catastrophic malfunctions on the very first day of testing.

Slides locking up to the point of being unserviceable, even after beating them with hammers they wouldn’t budge, triggers literally snapping in half on the range at that stupid hinge they have, I don’t remember the other issues (it’s been over ten yrs) but they were literally the worst pistol I had ever seen or fired in my life. We were dumbfounded that SW even let these things leave the building. We boxed up the rest of them unfired and sent them back with a big “lol no thanks we’ll pass”.

I did hear maybe a year or two later they came out with the new Gen or fixed whatever but ever since then I kind of twitch any time I see SW anything. It was and should of been embarrassing for them to allow those things to leave the factory floor.

ETA: Editing the above post to reflect accurately. It was not a Shield, in fact, it was an M&P .45 that blew chunks.
Thanks to @Glockster30 for the correction.

Last edited:
What have you got against pea soup. Try sitting in a hunting stand for a few hours in December. You'll be grateful for pea soup then.
My idea of a "hunting stand" is a ski chalet on a mountain in NH with a fireplace and hot tub. I'll let you have the pea soup.

Problem: In any gun shop there is an enormous amount of "possible customers" (at least 20%, sometimes up to 50% or more) who cross the retail threshold that are basically just there to waste your time and suck information out of you; then in turn they will skinflint and go elsewhere to buy their stuff if they bother buying it at all
who is the snowflake again I forgot?

Years ago myself and several other police firearm instructors (possible @lowbuckbob was with me this day but I can’t remember) were asked to test the ‘new’ Shield .45 when they were first introduced and police depts wanted to swap up from 9mm to .45

SW was offering a fair discount if we decided to then go with their offering. We said sure send us a couple cases for testing and a bunch of us went down to Hanson and started going over them.

No exaggeration at all, we had 9 catastrophic malfunctions on the very first day of testing.

Slides locking up to the point of being unserviceable, even after beating them with hammers they wouldn’t budge, triggers literally snapping in half on the range at that stupid hinge they have, I don’t remember the other issues (it’s been over ten yrs) but they were literally the worst pistol I had ever seen or fired in my life. We were dumbfounded that SW even let these things leave the building. We boxed up the rest of them unfired and sent them back with a big “lol no thanks we’ll pass”.

I did hear maybe a year or two later they came out with the new Gen or fixed whatever but ever since then I kind of twitch any time I see SW Shield anything. It was and should of been embarrassing for them to allow those things to leave the factory floor.
Ok now I get where the hate comes from, I actually didn’t research the gun when I bought it probably around 2014 maybe? I’ve got easily over a 1000 rounds through mine without any issues at all. Honestly before I read this I was kind of shocked at the negativity towards them in this thread but chalked it up to each his own.

Wait a minute, this is the exact opposite of the Nigerian email scams. They are so poorly written with spelling and grammar errors intentionally to weed out anyone with half a brain from responding because they don't want to waste any time on people who might be too smart to get conned out of their money. They only want the complete idiots who are easy prey to respond. It's a pretty smart ploy when you think about it. Maybe they should edit the sign on the door asking for an email address to sign up to be notified when the Shields and Taurus' come in and we can then email them the Nigerian email scam and make a killing. Just a thought.

Attachments

• WhyFromNigeria.pdf
    540 KB · Views: 7
Admittedly, I'm lazy and didn't read any of the previous 237 posts, other than the first...

All I want to know is... "Is there going to be a Boycott, Yes or No?"

just kidding.

Back
Top Bottom