Wet 9mm Bullet Fired at Half Velocity

Did a little test the other day and thought I'd share what I found since I'm sure people don't do this every day.

I put one of my carry rounds in a plastic bag of water and left it there for a week. Then took the round to the range and shot it. The round in question is an ASYM SDX, which is very similar to the Corbon DPX. It doesn't have a sealed primer but I'm actually guessing the moisture got in through the top, not the bottom since the primer went off but the velocity was low. I suppose another possibility is that the primer burned incorrectly and just didn't ignite the powder very well.

Anyway, this load usually clocks in at ~1175fps out of my Glock. This round clocked 592fps.

This doesn't necessarily help anyone but I found it interesting in concept since if I ever were to leave a box of ammo or a loaded mag somewhere where they were wet for an extended period, I would apparently need to relegate those rounds to the range-use box.

Did a little test the other day and thought I'd share what I found since I'm sure people don't do this every day.

I put one of my carry rounds in a plastic bag of water and left it there for a week. Then took the round to the range and shot it. The round in question is an ASYM SDX, which is very similar to the Corbon DPX. It doesn't have a sealed primer but I'm actually guessing the moisture got in through the top, not the bottom since the primer went off but the velocity was low. I suppose another possibility is that the primer burned incorrectly and just didn't ignite the powder very well.

Anyway, this load usually clocks in at ~1175fps out of my Glock. This round clocked 592fps.

This doesn't necessarily help anyone but I found it interesting in concept since if I ever were to leave a box of ammo or a loaded mag somewhere where they were wet for an extended period, I would apparently need to relegate those rounds to the range-use box.

Id we worried of a possible squib at that velocity. I would shoot those.

Back
Top Bottom