• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What’s That In My Foot?

DJBrad

NES Member
I thought I would post this story since I see a lot of strange things in the clinical setting wrt radiographical findings. I was shooting xrays on this 60 y/o Spanish speaking male. He had a written order for weight bearing views of his right foot for concern of a mass growing in size over the past few months. I marked the spot with a BB which gives better localization for the Radiologist who reads the images. On the first shot I was like, “Fmj?”. Of course I asked the guy when he was last shot while running away, lol. “12 years ago”, he said. “They said they took that out of me.” Nope. Happened in Santo Domingo.
C98C11F4-CF82-4486-9702-9726E8A27FDE.jpeg 66CE8D54-2BA4-47A6-B32F-01BD269FEB5D.jpeg 1DC7F1FA-0FB0-43C9-A471-1221DCC8C924.jpeg

You would think he would have noticed this sooner.

I have about a dozen screws in my ankle and I can feel the heads of every one of them.

Edit to add that I need to type faster.

He’s gonna get a dozen screws eventually. I didn’t ask if he had any fractures from the shooting but incidentally he has bad OA in most tarsal bones and the entire ankle joint.

My exes youngest (at tge time, like 9 yrs old?) stepped on a toothpick and it broke off in her foot. They removed it but she literally didn’t stop limping until she was about 14 or so.

One take away is that anyone shot goes on to live a full life after the shooting because of FMJ. If these were RIP’s or HST’s you can imagine there would be a hell of a lot more scrubbed from this plane. I’m sure there are many still out there living their best after taking a Glaser slug too.

Wow...and completely intact. I'd save that as a lucky charm. Wonder if he was shot multiple times. They pulled one out thinking they found it, but there was a second in there.

Jesus. Lol. How can you not tell there is a f***ing bullet still in your foot??
I've seen it happen (literally). Short form - person shoot self in leg, falls over, thinks hole in thigh was from keys in his pocket. Eventually sees MD about foot pain weeks later when an x-ray is taken and a 225 LRN 45 ACP projectile was found. Subject later died a natural death, and was never an NES contributor.

Last edited:
One take away is that anyone shot goes on to live a full life after the shooting because of FMJ. If these were RIP’s or HST’s you can imagine there would be a hell of a lot more scrubbed from this plane. I’m sure there are many still out there living their best after taking a Glaser slug too.

Did they pull the bullet and weigh it? was it a 115 or something 80 or 90?

I'm going to guess that bullet got there from a ricochet or something like that, or went through some intermediate barrier before it hit their foot.

Did they pull the bullet and weigh it? was it a 115 or something 80 or 90?

I'm going to guess that bullet got there from a ricochet or something like that, or went through some intermediate barrier before it hit their foot.
I posted this about 5 mins after finishing the study. They may look at that X-ray and determine he needs some corrective surgery as well, so maybe do a package deal ala Mass health.

Based on the position of the boolit I would say he was running away and someone was shooting low. Maybe a Big Papi scenario. Ricochet off the ground or could also have been off a hard object around the area.

Looks to be in un-altered state. I doubt ricochet.

I was not at the event Boudrie described however I am quite familiar with the case and knew the injured fellow.

It WAS literally weeks. Once it was discovered, the joke going around the club was that John's Dr. had placed him on a diet.

So far he has lost 225 grains........................................ [rofl] :p:D[rofl][laugh2]

Last edited:
I got a piece of brass embedded in my cheek just under my safety glasses from an out of battery in an Uzi ( I'm left handed) so my face was exposed to the ejection port and it took two years to surface. I told my doctor about it about a couple of weeks after it happened and he said as long as it's not infected it will work its way out......it did two years later. It snagged on a washcloth when I was washing my face so I got the tweezers out and carefully worked it out of the skin. I didn't know the shape of it so I was careful. Turned out to be just slightly larger than 1/8th X 1/8th piece of shell casing brass.
I taped it to a piece of paper to show my doc next visit and told him he was right, it just took a while. Still have in a drawer somewhere.....just a reminder to wear eye protection.

Wow this reminds me of the piece of glass I pulled out of my left hand by the base of my thumb. I put my fist through a windshield (don’t ask) and cut myself when I pulled out. This happened when I was 16. The beginning of this year I pulled this out of it after two months of a weird lump by the scar. The glass was in there for almost 26 years. Taught me to never pull out!

Attachments

• 46F36549-AEC6-490F-8D7D-5755463499DF.jpeg
    46F36549-AEC6-490F-8D7D-5755463499DF.jpeg
    237.2 KB · Views: 64
Back
Top Bottom