• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What’s your deer slug gun of choice? (Ma only)

One week to go. Any deer with those slug guns? I got one on a second shot after missing the first deer. Made another shot 4 days later and missed a headshot from 40 yards or so. Unfortunately the adrenalin of the moment has me missing those other shots from standing off hand. Not the guns fault for sure.
I'm aiming for the lungs 10 out of 10 times. I like a sure thing. Let it run 40 yards it'll fall eventually.

I'm aiming for the lungs 10 out of 10 times. I like a sure thing. Let it run 40 yards it'll fall eventually.
I would be happy with that shot. My only ops were head/neck or ruin the shoulder/chest recently. I’m out all this week hunting so certainly I’m lookin for that broadside shot. I’ve not sat in a stand yet and have only been running and gunning. I will have the chance to sit my stand this week but I’m antsy and love to move around.

One week to go. Any deer with those slug guns? I got one on a second shot after missing the first deer. Made another shot 4 days later and missed a headshot from 40 yards or so. Unfortunately the adrenalin of the moment has me missing those other shots from standing off hand. Not the guns fault for sure.
I learned my lessons a long time ago. Wait for the broad side and skip the headshots /straight on shots. A deer at 30 to 40 yards looking straight at you is a very narrow target.....I'll admit back then I lacked the patience and tried a few shots head on and missed a few times. Now I just wait to see if they turn. Headshot.....my son took a buck with a headshot between the eyes two years ago but it came out of a laurel patch head on 10 feet in front of him. That's much different than 40 yards......and even though he was successful some of our hunting buddies have him some shit about it

Several years back I bought a used Winchester 1200 with a B-square scope mount and a Simmons x4 scope from a fellow NES'er and that's been my deer gun ever since. I have never once had to adjust the scope, even though I've taken the the whole thing apart for cleaning at the end of each season. I brought it to the range the day before shotgun opener like I do every year, and from the standing unsupported position, fired one round perfectly centered in the target at 50 yards, then hit the gong at 100 from the same position. GOOD! I have yet to even fire it at a deer this season though. Saturday or bust!

Several years back I bought a used Winchester 1200 with a B-square scope mount and a Simmons x4 scope from a fellow NES'er and that's been my deer gun ever since. I have never once had to adjust the scope, even though I've taken the the whole thing apart for cleaning at the end of each season. I brought it to the range the day before shotgun opener like I do every year, and from the standing unsupported position, fired one round perfectly centered in the target at 50 yards, then hit the gong at 100 from the same position. GOOD! I have yet to even fire it at a deer this season though. Saturday or bust!
It's been one of those seasons for alot of hunters!

Worst thing about headshots is blowing the animal's jaw off and the deer starving to death over the winter because you were too stupid to wait for an ethical shot for a clean kill. If you do take the shot you better be capable of driving tacks offhand and get one in the brain cavity.

Worst thing about headshots is blowing the animal's jaw off and the deer starving to death over the winter because you were too stupid to wait for an ethical shot for a clean kill. If you do take the shot you better be capable of driving tacks offhand and get one in the brain cavity.
You're assuming every one hunting is a one time a year marksman. Zero their rifles in Sept, have one point of impact range, etc.

I'll make sure I post pics of my next head shot. Head shots under 50 yards from a supported position are pretty easy. My rifle and I are cable of .75 MOA. I've seen plenty of fudds miss kill shots with their 30.06's broadside at 30 yards. I've seen many video of "archers" wounding lots of deer never to be found. I haven't missed a head shot yet and if the opportunity presents itself I will do it again. It's all about knowing your gear and being proficient with it.

You're assuming every one hunting is a one time a year marksman. Zero their rifles in Sept, have one point of impact range, etc.

I'll make sure I post pics of my next head shot. Head shots under 50 yards from a supported position are pretty easy. My rifle and I are cable of .75 MOA. I've seen plenty of fudds miss kill shots with their 30.06's broadside at 30 yards. I've seen many video of "archers" wounding lots of deer never to be found. I haven't missed a head shot yet and if the opportunity presents itself I will do it again. It's all about knowing your gear and being proficient with it.
Headshot.....sure! If you know your tools and your skill.....and your in range to make it. This was my son's....10 yards with a 50 cal muzzle loader. Buck stuck its head out of a laurel patch looking straight at him. Waiting on a broadside would not have happened because the deer would have bolted if he waited. Not all head shots are bad. This buck never felt a thing.

IMG_20171213_110614974.jpg

Headshot.....sure! If you know your tools and your skill.....and your in range to make it. This was my son's....10 yards with a 50 cal muzzle loader. Buck stuck its head out of a laurel patch looking straight at him. Waiting on a broadside would not have happened because the deer would have bolted if he waited. Not all head shots are bad. This buck never felt a thing.

View attachment 321810
Just looked closer and noticed his left eye is looking like a case of Grave’s disease, lol

Benelli M2 20g, field, semi. Rifled barrel, shoots sabots very accurately. Leupold 2-7 Scope.
sold my 12, 20g is plenty.

I use to use a Benelli, M1 Super 90, Smooth bore, with black iron rifle sights. Stupid accurate at 50 yards. In the mid 90's I picked up a Remington, lightweight, 20. Then I added a red, fiber optic, front sight and green, fiber optic, rear, along with a rifled barrel. Using pricy, 2 3/4" Hornady, 250 gr., SST, slugs, I took it to the club to sight it in and found it to be spot on at the 100 yard line. It's taken plenty of deer while having less recoil and being very light to carry during a full day of hunting. Don't guess I'll ever get rid of it. It will go to my nephew, who just got 4 pheasant on his first ever hunt, with its twin brother. A straight stocked version, of the same shotgun, with a 3 choke barrel, that I picked up a few years back.

My gun of choice? I have many to choose from including a Savage 220 which is a great accurate gun. 99% of the time carry a stainless Thompson Center Omega muzzleloader w a 1.5-5x Nikon Omega BDC scope, it's more accurate than I am most days at the range, easily a 150 yd gun but Id wager most deer I've killed are inside of 50-60 yds. the only thing a slug gun gives over the Omega is a quick follow up shot (not really great with the 220 unfortunately), but if I do my part a follow up shot isn't necessary with 250 gr Barnes TEZ's behind about 75 gr by weight of BH209.

I don't bother with shotgun anymore, I use either an inline or flint lock muzzleloader for the whole season, usually if I tag any deer during archery or shotgun, I'll switch to a flint lock for muzzleloader season just for the nostalgia.

Benelli M2 20g, field, semi. Rifled barrel, shoots sabots very accurately. Leupold 2-7 Scope.
sold my 12, 20g is plenty.
My dad is looking to get this same gun for deer hunting in MA. He’s been hunting in ME for the last 50 years but just started hunting in MA a few years ago. Has a Mossberg 20 gauge pump but held a M2 at Kittery trading and said it was really light and very nicely made. Wants to “upgrade”. Currently $1400 at Bass Pro and midway.

I have an M2 20g Field with rifled slug barrel, very accurate and lightweight. I have dropped quite a few deer with it. No complaints whatsoever.
love 20 for deer.
tell him to go for it!

I alternated between my A5 Sweet 16 and my H&R 16ga topper. I really liked the topper because it was easier to load / unload and way lighter and more pleasant to carry. Didn't matter, never saw anything worth shooting.

For both, I used Remington Sluggers and can guarantee a 4" group at 75 yards offhand. Not super great, but good enough for an antlered rat.

……way lighter and more pleasant to carry….

….For both, I used Remington Sluggers and can guarantee a 4" group at 75 yards offhand. Not super great, but good enough for an antlered rat.

That’s the main reason I never switched to rifled slugs. The smoothbore barrel is soooo much lighter and easier to carry. Plenty accurate for deer where I hunt.
Bob

I have an M2 20g Field with rifled slug barrel, very accurate and lightweight. I have dropped quite a few deer with it. No complaints whatsoever.
love 20 for deer.
tell him to go for it!
Got the M2 with the Leupold 1.5-4 scope, sighted in today for my dad. The Hornady SSTs shot good enough but the fancy copper Federals I got direct from Federal last week were VERY accurate. They should be at $4 per shell😳
Currently sold out now

25 yards:
73EFE5A5-06AA-4196-89CF-EC545D1E0ABC.jpeg

50 yards (same hole):
ABCA7B47-CD9A-45AF-A36E-387B08C0B060.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom