• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What’s your favorite MilSurp carry piece?

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Thought occurred to me as I rotated my Colt Detective Special into my carry queue tonight. I’ve carried all of my hand guns at one time or another, but have found that it’s one of these four I carry most often. The one I use depends on concealability, season, clothing, and whether using a holster or in the pocket.

They are:
1939 Walther PPk, .32
1910 M08 Colt .25
1915 M08 Colt .380
1937 Colt Detective .38 Special

Funny, three of four are Colts. I know the .25 isn’t much...it’s for ultra concealable occasions...and will still punch through 5/8 plywood, believe it or not. I have spent a lot of time at the range to be comfortable with them and find a reliable carry round in each caliber. I currently carry the PPk at work. The +P load I use hits harder than most .38 specials do. That’s why I’m looking again for a M13 Sauer...even a smaller .32 than the PPk.

So do any of you’uns carry your oldies?

t
5A127C7B-E0C1-4E92-90AF-B50E00A5979F.jpeg A023E8F6-E1A7-4531-A110-30D70E545D46.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh, absolutely! My carry rotation comprises four firearms, and the one I carry when I'm in the mood for a 9mm (or when I think I'll need more than 7 rounds in the gun!) is my Inglis Mk I*, manufactured by the Canucks in 1944. Original mag plus a standard-cap on the other hip.

The ergonomics of the BHP really are amazing.

My other carry pieces are all 1980s-vintage: a Model 10 snubbie in nickel, a Randall 1911, and a Colt Lightweight Officers ACP. Those aren't milsurp, though.

I'm a modern kind of carry guy, so carrying milsurp wouldn't really apply to me.

But.... If I had a nice Browning Hi-Power, I might carry that. I used to have a Walther PP in 7.62, but never carried it.

Last edited:
I have a very nice 1938 PP that's lights out accurate....but the PPk can go in my pocket whereas the PP needs a holster. 32 Browning is my favorite caliber. IMG_0792.jpeg IMG_0800.jpeg IMG_0801.jpeg
t

....and hopefully a .32 Sauer next year....
Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 2.55.20 PM.png

I'm a modern king of carry guy, so carrying milsurp wouldn't really apply to me.

But.... If I had a nice Browning Hi-Power, I might carry that. I used to have a Walther PP in 7.62, but never carried it.
I was going to say the same.

I'd carry one of my Hi Powers if they weren't Waffen Stamped.

Problem now, due to COVID, is finding handgun ammunition. Pre-election time, shelves were bare. Gone are the Walmart days of $39.99 for 100 rounds of Remington .38 special 125gr +P SJHP that I use in the Detective...it’s the closest to the load I carried as a Fed 30 years ago. Looked on gunbroker; it’s now $100-$135 a box of 100.
t

I've only carried two of my milsurps:

1.) My East German Makarov
2.) My Hi-Power

The Makarov is nice, heavy for its size, but still fairly compact.

Well that's not right, at LEAST shoot it once, then put it away :)

IMHO, there isn't anything like a HP. 1911s don't do much for me, HPs are a whole different story.

1911s were my first love and I still carry them happily, but I shoot that Inglis HP really well. I get that firearms technology has advanced just slightly since 1935... but not in my gun safe. The only semiauto I have with a design more modern than that Inglis is a SW model 459. What's that one, 1965?

As a bonus to the thread, there have been times when, in a wave of insanity, I've IWB'd a Webley Mk V. Talk about a milsurp...

I came "this" close to having a milserp EDC.

I got my -03 FFL specifically so I could take posession of an out of state relative's father's WW-II bringback, a 1941 J.P.Sauer 38H, before a divorce made it go somewhere out of the family. I immediately fell in love with it. It's the grandaddy of the modern Sigs. Being issued to poorly trained german police, guards, etc., it has all the safety features: SA/DA, cocker/de-cocker lever, slide mounted safety, loaded chamber indicator and a mag disconnect. It eats 32ACP. Fortunately, but not for me, about the time I was looking for a holster, their marriage took a big turn for the better. Now, him, her and the JP Sauer 38H are living happily ever after. Meanwhile I'm getting cold stares from my modern polymer framed EDC.[rolleyes]

1911s were my first love and I still carry them happily, but I shoot that Inglis HP really well. I get that firearms technology has advanced just slightly since 1935... but not in my gun safe. The only semiauto I have with a design more modern than that Inglis is a SW model 459. What's that one, 1965?

As a bonus to the thread, there have been times when, in a wave of insanity, I've IWB'd a Webley Mk V. Talk about a milsurp...
Please carry a Colt Walker.

Well that's not right, at LEAST shoot it once, then put it away :)

IMHO, there isn't anything like a HP. 1911s don't do much for me, HPs are a whole different story.

Except for the fact that the safety lever system on the BHP blows absolute miserable donkey chunks, unless you go aftermarket.

If I was forced to carry a milsurp, I'd carry a 1911 over that any day of the week due to that lever alone. The 1911 safety is inutitive and just works, and even on the older guns
its not horrendous to manipulate.

Then there's the f***ing magazine safety, but at least that shit is removable. But by default, a BHP has at least two strikes against it.

Except for the fact that the safety lever system on the BHP blows absolute miserable donkey chunks, unless you go aftermarket.

If I was forced to carry a milsurp, I'd carry a 1911 over that any day of the week due to that lever alone. The 1911 safety is inutitive and just works, and even on the older guns

Then there's the f***ing magazine safety, but at least that shit is removable. But by default, a BHP has at least two strikes against it.
Get f***ed.

Get f***ed.
[rofl]

It's poop though, you can't deny it. I have one here in my posession that's slightly less than poop, because that f***ing nub thing has been replaced
on it. There are a couple of places, IIRC, that make levers for it that are even less shitty.

The gun is almost a paperweight without it.

[rofl]

It's poop though, you can't deny it. I have one here in my posession that's slightly less than poop, because that f***ing nub thing has been replaced
on it. There are a couple of places, IIRC, that make levers for it that are even less shitty.

The gun is almost a paperweight without it.
The safety? Yeah it is. The mag disconnect too but that's fixable.

I'll put it this way for ya Monica. You know I'm a glutton for 45, but I'd still go for a HP over a 1911. So, there's that. [laugh]

And there are less HP elitists than 1911 ones. They're almost worse than AR elitists. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee.

Niche case but as a lefty at least many Hi-Powers have an ambi safety so I can use it. I'm not aware of any milsurp 1911s that have one.

I'm a modern kind of carry guy, so carrying milsurp wouldn't really apply to me.

I carried a BHP when I lived in NH for undergrad and I found its two pounds of mass assuring. The BHP is a nice gun for OWB or open carry. I never noticed the heft and at the time I was probably 5'8" and 140lbs. In a nice holster and worn under a hoodie or jacket, the BHP is quite fine.

The safety on the BHP sucks, yes. But there's a few things to keep in mind about it: (1) the 1911 safety sucks as well when you're looking at original, military-issue 1911s and 1911A1s, at least it does for me because the safety on a GI 1911 amounts to a bump on the frame; in comparison, the BHP safety (1935 design) is contemporaneous with an original 1911A1 safety (1924 gun), and the BHP safety is better than the old 1911 safety. (2) The BHP Mark IIs and Mark IIIs have improved safety catches and the Mark IIIs specifically are ambidextrous. (3) The mag safety on a BHP is pretty much a non-issue unless (a) you're shooting competitively with it and have to do a lot of unload/show clear, which I've done and I've gotten around by just telling the range officer "this has a mag safety" and by carrying an empty mag in my pants pocket; or (b) you get into the defensive situation where you've dropped the mag, have a round in the chamber, and can't insert a new mag, or the person you're up against is literally on you and managed to drop your mag on your gun, and either situation is pretty out there.

People shit on the BHP's trigger because of the mag safety but I never noticed a decrease in my shooting abilities specifically because of the mag safety. If you give me the BHP and another mid-sized (BHP has a 4 5/8" barrel, its close to full size but isn't as big as a 1911 or Beretta 92) 9x19, I'll shoot just as accurately with the BHP as I will with other guns. Just takes time and practice, like anything else.

Now, I'll add that I've since switched to polymer striker fired pistols with red dots because Browning discontinued the BHP and mine, a BHP Mark III Standard, has about doubled in value; the BHP isn't ideal for adding a red dot; and I'd rather have a Glock trigger safety than having to deal with any manual safety like on a BHP or a 1911. If I can't have a Glock/Steyr, I'd rather have a BHP over a 1911. But, that's what I know and everyone's got biases.

Niche case but as a lefty at least many Hi-Powers have an ambi safety so I can use it. I'm not aware of any milsurp 1911s that have one.

Let's be clear, the surplus Mark II and Mark III BHPs are police surplus, not military surplus. I'm sure some police department or the FBI has some ambi 1911s. Obviously, though, as we both know, those aren't available for $500-600 (or, were) like the Israeli police surplus BHPs.

I have yet to shoot a Hi-Power. I have a P-38 that’s very comfortable and I shoot very well with. The 5.5” barrel makes it an awkward carry piece though.
t

I have had a couple Sauer 38Hs, including a beautiful '41 bring back rig. Unfortunately as a lefty, or by the design, the serrated take down lever under the frame at the top of the trigger guard would make my trigger finger bleed after 2-3 magazines.
t

Train with a BHP safety and it won't be a problem any longer.

Agreed. It's a poor design. But it doesn't stop me from carrying it. Other things outweigh the safety. Sights are no good either, on most milsurp BHPs, but the Inglis sights are excellent.

I dont have a milsurp 1911 so I have to go with
CZ 52 - mean hunk of steel
CZ 82 just a nice fitting gun , very ambidextrous , somewhat complicated in design and MF to reassemble, wotks great and shoots good

QP7eCm0.jpg

dude your no lefty, the safety can easily be used LH.
get out of your righty mindset.

Thats why I like the CZ 82, i can with out thinking use it LH or RH.
I shot the 1911 enough that even if I put a ambi safety on it , I would not use it .

Curious why one would carry (I assume EDC) a milsurp? I've got a few and words like weight and reliability come to mind vs. current day models. Regarding reliability, there are plenty of fine milsurps out there, I'm just not sure I'd trust my life with a carry piece that is essentially older than I am and comes close to a boat anchor in weight. Just a thought, not trolling.

Curious why one would carry (I assume EDC) a milsurp? I've got a few and words like weight and reliability come to mind vs. current day models. Regarding reliability, there are plenty of fine milsurps out there, I'm just not sure I'd trust my life with a carry piece that is essentially older than I am and comes close to a boat anchor in weight. Just a thought, not trolling.

Because we like 'em.

And plastic guns turn me off. For me, it's kinda that simple.

Because we like 'em.

And plastic guns turn me off. For me, it's kinda that simple.

Understood...I like mine too but I also don't have a problem with the chemical goo that makes the ozones get its panties in a knot (and I ain't talkin Bakelite). 🤣 [cheers]

The weight i can see but honestly alot of milsurp pistols unless abused and worn out IMHO have no more reliability issues than modern designs. If modern guns where so much better we would not see the "my new gun is a pos " threads
My EDC is a Ghay40 4013tsw or a 60s vintage 38spl pocket carry.
I do carry the Cz82 , the CZ52 is a f***ing tank to carry but i do sometimes. 1911 was my 1st edc and dont mind it one bit. Although its not the most natural pointing handgun in my hands. Hence the 4013tsw double stack. I like a wide grip even though I have small hands

Back
Top Bottom