What 2m frequencies to monitor while traveling?

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
Looks like I'm going to be doing a lot of back and forth between here and one of our northern neighbors.

Is there a usual frequency that hams monitor while driving? (kind of like channel 19 for CB). Just wondering if I should finally dig out that mobile antenna and spring for a new CB (since my two 30+ year old ones are pretty well toast!) in addition to my HT for interstate driving. 'Cause I do like hearing what's going on on the road, I like to chat, and long drives get boring quick.

146.520 is the simplex calling frequency on 2m, however you will probably hear more activity on the repeaters.

I would set-up to scan the repeaters along the route. I just finished 800 miles round trip to PA. I monitored 146.52 a fair amount and heard almost nothing. I threw out a bunch of CQs and did get one guy to chat with me. He was traveling the opposite direction so the conversation didn't last long. I found HF to be the best way to kill time when I don't know the repeaters. I either listened to the Moblie Marritime Net (14,300.00), checked in to ECARS or just dialed around to find someone to talk to. Sunday I stumbled on W9IMS, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway's club doing their annual special event during the Indy-500 week. Should be a cool QSL card.

Back
Top Bottom