What are the odds? SPRINGFIELD lTC

Hello guys so i am a noobie and have questions. Firstly is what are the chances of me being able to get a unrestricted ltc, in the town of springfield MA. Iv heard some got theirs and others havent, while others got theirs in 30 days and others waited 6 months. Aswell as do k get the licence in the mail or do i have to pick it up, i was told that i would get a letter in the mail saying its ready to be picked up. I found it odd that i did not have meeting with the cheif of police eaither. Id like to state at this time that i am 21 years old. I have a clean record not even a speeding ticket. And i took the necessary saftey course as well as have 2 officers for references. I had my prints done on March 22 2018. Any info will be appreciated as well as what should i do if i dont get the ltc, i know i can appeal it but how do i go about doing that. Thanks

Springfield is likely still top 3 worst issuing authority in the state, And I am going to guess that without retaining counsel (lawyer) your chances are right around ZERO, unless something changed there recently.

You'll get an LTC, but it will be restricted. Have fun with that.

-Mike

I'd be willing to bet the license will be restricted. Nobody I know with LTC's out of Springfield has met with anyone in the PD for an interview. I don't know how true it is, if at all, but supposedly the chief doesn't even see the apps, it's a rotation of the "upper brass".

When the license is ready, they send you a postcard telling you to pick it up. You can try calling the clerk's office at the PD.

OP, it depends which Captain gets your paperwork. I know of at least one Captain there that is Pro 2A who will approve unrestricted if you have no issues with your criminal history. Other Captains will approve it based on the reason you want an unrestricted LTC. Plan to get a restricted one though. If you want the restrictions dropped you will likely want a lawyer to draw up the appeal and argue your case for you.

Good luck, hopefully you randomly get a Pro 2a Captain

Last edited:
My brother and nephew both have no restrictions from Springfield.
No strings were pulled to obtain.

May you have the same luck.

Why don’t a lot of young people get into shooting? Instead of a welcoming environment, they run into grumpy ol’ bastards like us. Then we bitch and moan that people don’t want to try shooting.

Good luck with the LTC.

I think a lot of young people just haven’t had the “attention to detail” mantra beat into them by crusty old NCO’s to a point where it would be painful to not check and double check your work.

The attention to detail thing is then imparted onto the users every day life, like keeping your weapons cleaned and oiled, knowing if your weapon is charged or not or if it’s charged with the safety off laying on the bench while people are downrange, etc, muzzle discipline while on the range and so on. IMO it’s important for us older shooters to try and impart that attention to detail to the young ones coming up. Sometimes that starts right here.

OP, not trying to beat up on you, I read your follow up post about fat fingers and small phone, so just take it for what it is, and good luck with the LTC!

Welcome to NES.

My brother and nephew both have no restrictions from Springfield.
No strings were pulled to obtain.

May you have the same luck.

I also have a friend that has an unrestricted LTC out of Springfield and no strings were pulled.

You guys on the eastern part of the state are the real moonbats. The only reason Hampden county is a blue county is all the welfare liberals in Springfield and the Limousine liberals in Longmeadow, most other areas around Springfield are red. If Springfield didn't have so many section 8 welfare type Democrats it would likely be red too.

Wasn't a law passed a while back that now that everyone "seen fit" to have a permit, is issued a Class A and if not, the Chief has to provide a letter stating while the applicant is "not suitable"? As long as you took a training class and don't forget to put ALL LAWFUL purposes on the app, no matter who says what about that statement. Because that is what an LTC is.

Wasn't a law passed a while back that now that everyone "seen fit" to have a permit, is issued a Class A and if not, the Chief has to provide a letter stating while the applicant is "not suitable"? As long as you took a training class and don't forget to put ALL LAWFUL purposes on the app, no matter who says what about that statement. Because that is what an LTC is.

Via The Acts of 2014, the legislature did eliminate new issuance of LTC-B. However, MGL c. 140 s. 131 specifically gives issuing authorities the right to issue LTCs with restrictions which the issuing authority deems proper.

See excerpt from paragraph (a) of MGL c. 140 s. 131 below:
[Paragraphs (a) to (c) effective until January 1, 2021. For text effective January 1, 2021, see below.]

(a) A Class A license shall entitle a holder thereof to purchase, rent, lease, borrow, possess and carry: (i) firearms, including large capacity firearms, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes, subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of firearms as the licensing authority deems proper; and (ii) rifles and shotguns, including large capacity weapons, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes; provided, however, that the licensing authority may impose such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of large capacity rifles and shotguns as it deems proper. A violation of a restriction imposed by the licensing authority under the provisions of this paragraph shall be cause for suspension or revocation and shall, unless otherwise provided, be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000; provided, however, that the provisions of section 10 of chapter 269 shall not apply to such violation.

Paragraph (f) of MGL c. 140 s. 131 describes revocations and appeals. An individual who is aggrieved by a denial, revocation, or restriction imposed on his/her license has the ability to attempt to appeal it, if (s)he so desires.

See the quote below

(f) A license issued under this section shall be revoked or suspended by the licensing authority, or his designee, upon the occurrence of any event that would have disqualified the holder from being issued such license or from having such license renewed. A license may be revoked or suspended by the licensing authority if it appears that the holder is no longer a suitable person to possess such license. Any revocation or suspension of a license shall be in writing and shall state the reasons therefor. Upon revocation or suspension, the licensing authority shall take possession of such license and the person whose license is so revoked or suspended shall take all actions required under the provisions of section 129D. No appeal or post-judgment motion shall operate to stay such revocation or suspension. Notices of revocation and suspension shall be forwarded to the commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services and the commissioner of probation and shall be included in the criminal justice information system. A revoked or suspended license may be reinstated only upon the termination of all disqualifying conditions, if any.

Any applicant or holder aggrieved by a denial, revocation, suspension or restriction placed on a license, unless a hearing has previously been held pursuant to chapter 209A, may, within either 90 days after receiving notice of the denial, revocation or suspension or within 90 days after the expiration of the time limit during which the licensing authority shall respond to the applicant or, in the case of a restriction, any time after a restriction is placed on the license pursuant to this section, file a petition to obtain judicial review in the district court having jurisdiction in the city or town in which the applicant filed the application or in which the license was issued. If after a hearing a justice of the court finds that there was no reasonable ground for denying, suspending, revoking or restricting the license and that the petitioner is not prohibited by law from possessing a license, the justice may order a license to be issued or reinstated to the petitioner or may order the licensing authority to remove certain restrictions placed on the license.

Last edited:
Just an update, had my prints done March 22,2018 and picked up my LTC today july 23,2018. For restrictions i have hunting and targetting. I am going to write a appeal letter and drop it off tommarow or friday at the springfield PD.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that all applicants should get a firm answer regarding restrictions. If no answer, time to consult an att'y if not a green town. Easy for me to say, but sometimes you just have to "buy" your rights. Jack.

Back
Top Bottom