What are the odds?

So with all the political talk in the air and some really strong candidates for AG and Gov. what do you all think about the idea that we could get some serious gun reform for the better. I mean I know it's a long shot and sounds like I'm putting the cart before the horse, BUT, and its a big but it seems as though we could get some very pro gun officials, and hopefully get rid of some foolish laws in this state.

Just pondering....[thinking] what say you?

In MA, it will require some wins in the court... They will resist until they are told by the FEDs to straighten up...

Once a few big ones go through, then you might see some movement on the political side. I'd love to be proved wrong, but I am not holding my breath either for sufficient wins to tip the scales on reps, or for those that are there and get in to change their mind or have the clout to change things.

There are too many moonbat voters in MA from whom they derive their power. It's not just about who is in office, its your neighbors who have grown up in a gun-free zone that have to be convinced...

In MA, it will require some wins in the court... They will resist until they are told by the FEDs to straighten up...

Once a few big ones go through, then you might see some movement on the political side. I'd love to be proved wrong, but I am not holding my breath either for sufficient wins to tip the scales on reps, or for those that are there and get in to change their mind or have the clout to change things.

There are too many moonbat voters in MA from whom they derive their power. It's not just about who is in office, its your neighbors who have grown up in a gun-free zone that have to be convinced...

Thats the thing though alot of it goes hand in hand. I feel like Massachusetts gun owners completely hide that they are gun owners. I'm wondering if organizations like GOAL put the pressure on the pols, who are hopefully truly pro gun, and kind of allow us as a group to "come out" and be more educating to the antis it could maybe help? I feel like gun owners need to help put the pressure on a little more. I definitely think alot of us hide in fear of losing our right to own. Just my .02

on an ignorance level....does our AWB expire? or is it perm? maybe they wouldn't resign if it expires?

Last edited:
Thats the thing though alot of it goes hand in hand. I feel like Massachusetts gun owners completely hide that they are gun owners. I'm wondering if organizations like GOAL put the pressure on the pols, who are hopefully truly pro gun, and kind of allow us as a group to "come out" and be more educating to the antis it could maybe help? I feel like gun owners need to help put the pressure on a little more. I definitely think alot of us hide in fear of losing our right to own. Just my .02

on an ignorance level....does our AWB expire? or is it perm? maybe they wouldn't resign if it expires?

I'm new here, and to gun ownership in general. So take this for what it's worth.

I hear a lot of talk around here about how if you value your freedom, do not ever let on that you are into firearms because if you live in Massachusetts it is not a question of if but rather when it will come back to bite you in the ass. This is probably great advice if you are concerned only for you and yours, and if that's the case, that's great.

However, for people that want to see meaningful change in the way the government treats lawful gun owners, this is really problemmatic. The only way to effect change is to have a large enough base of voters that people in power do not have any choice but to listen to you. In the case of gun owners, that basically translates to being an evangelist for gun ownership and getting people to get over the knee-jerk "guns are bad" mindset.

I've been very surprised by how much people really do have an interest in learning more about guns, but they're just afraid to go digging on their own because it is a taboo topic and you are at risk for being considered some kind of nut-job.

If you want to change attitudes, take some non-shooters to the range. That's the only way to make a lasting difference.

It has no sunset... It will remain until repealed... I suspect the courts will do this long before the political will exists to do it by vote.

As we saw with 2259, GOAL has certainly made progress, but there are still too many progressives, MCOPA and others who stand to lose power or face in this argument.

The AG race will be key. The "safety edicts" can be removed with the stroke of a pen. The Gov can introduce all the bills he wants, but they still have to make it through the state House and Senate. I think we stand to make some real gains in both this election, so even if Patrick stays in office, he won't be able to ram his agenda through. That's basically the reason the Dems had to resort to the AG's edicts in the first place.
I am very optimistic that change for the good is coming to MA. We have to all get out there and help McKenna get elected.

The worst gun laws in MA will get repealed right around the time pigs (other than MA politicians, and frankly calling some MA politicians pigs is insulting to pigs. ) and start making regularly scheduled flights at Logan airport.

Outside of the current AG's race (and even if Jim wins, he still has VERY limited influence) my prediction is absolutely nothing will happen if it doesn't involve a court battle at this point. Some laws could change as an indirect result of Heller/MacDonald..... but that is likely even going to take years by itself.

The elemental problem in MA is there are too many moonbats, and as time goes on, this gets worse. A lot of people will go "but but, there are a lot of independent voters in MA" and what "independent" usually means, is "usually will vote for a democrat or a worthless RINO".

It also doesn't help that MA house and senate pretty much have endlessly corrupt, rotten to the core, leadership, either. In between Chick-Fil-A and a couple of speakers that have gotten hit with federal indictments, we're racking up a score on political corruption in MA, especially if you start counting the massive garbage dump sized amounts of soft corruption that happens every day in the state. This obviously has a drastic effect on what bills get floated, etc. Ironically enough we've also benefited from legislative sloth as well. Uhauls OGAM proposal failed because the legislators, and the legislative leadership, hate him. They might all be moonbats/statists, but that's not enough glue to get them on the same page.

-Mike

Last edited:
I'm new here, and to gun ownership in general. So take this for what it's worth.

I hear a lot of talk around here about how if you value your freedom, do not ever let on that you are into firearms because if you live in Massachusetts it is not a question of if but rather when it will come back to bite you in the ass. This is probably great advice if you are concerned only for you and yours, and if that's the case, that's great.

However, for people that want to see meaningful change in the way the government treats lawful gun owners, this is really problemmatic. The only way to effect change is to have a large enough base of voters that people in power do not have any choice but to listen to you. In the case of gun owners, that basically translates to being an evangelist for gun ownership and getting people to get over the knee-jerk "guns are bad" mindset.

I've been very surprised by how much people really do have an interest in learning more about guns, but they're just afraid to go digging on their own because it is a taboo topic and you are at risk for being considered some kind of nut-job.

If you want to change attitudes, take some non-shooters to the range. That's the only way to make a lasting difference.

Pjorg, I agree with you a 100%, that why I make it my personal mission to introduce every responsible person I know to shooting. I've brought two over, who have both become members at Manchester. I'm now working on some of my wife's friends. That's a win win for me. If her friends start going, I might finally be able to talk her into getting a license too. I tell her, "honey we live in Tewksbruy, getting your Class A unrestricted, in case we move, we "might" have an easier time holding on to them without hassle if we move.

Last edited:

Great point. The only reason I enjoy guns now, and am a member of this forum is because some one I knew took me to a range. Before that I honestly didn't see a need for them other than LE and could have cared less about what happened in regards to legislation. That has all changed recently and I am glad it has. As soon as I have my LTC I will make it a point to introduce guns to people I know that would have never have bothered otherwise.

IMO, the odds on getting a pro 2A candidate like Jim McKenna elected are greater if his pro-gun advocacy is not brought to light to the general public at large. It could possibly serve as a poison to his election. The reason I bring this up is that if Jim gets the chance to be featured on one of our local radio talk shows and we push our gun agenda, then we may lose possible votes. I believe a sneak attack is needed to obtain our rights as gun owners. Jus' sayin'

IMO, the odds on getting a pro 2A candidate like Jim McKenna elected are greater if his pro-gun advocacy is not brought to light to the general public at large. It could possibly serve as a poison to his election. The reason I bring this up is that if Jim gets the chance to be featured on one of our local radio talk shows and we push our gun agenda, then we may lose possible votes. I believe a sneak attack is needed to obtain our rights as gun owners. Jus' sayin'

I fully agree with this and IIRC I discussed this with Jim early on in his campaign.

Using the illegals issue, letting pedophiles go while you advocate prosecuting the Dad who slugged the pedophile in the act, etc. will go a long way to getting Jim elected by those that hate guns.

I agree with those who say lawsuits will be the way to get change. It doesn't seem like many if any of the candidates we have to choose from are ever going to comply with our wishes unless we have the wins in court where they have to comply. I don't think I have seen one person in public office that hasn't flip flopped from their campaign promises, mislead folks in some way or been a little corrupt so I am weary of anyone that I vote for.

Back
Top Bottom