• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What are the rules on buying a pistol for transfer later?

My wife is going for an NRA course in a couple weeks and then her permit. She saw a handgun she likes but its a limited edition. I know where one is available but my question is how do I transfer it to her later once she has her permit? Never done anything like that before. Thanks for any info.

There are two ways I would approach this.

1. Buy the gun or put a deposit on it and have the gun-shop put it aside for you until she gets her permit.

2. Buy it and then when she receives her permit bring the gun to the local FFL and transfer it. (I am not sure what's involved in CT face to face transactions).

buy the pistol, transfer it to her later by calling the state and getting an authorization number, you then drop off 3 or 4 copies of the half sheet size transfer form,same type as your ffl uses, to your local pd

Straw Purchases are frowned upon.

But if you and your wife have the same License, you both have the legal right to carry the same weapon - right ?

Why transfer it at all ?

...how do I transfer it to her later once she has her permit?

Here ya go...

CT DESPP said:
Private Sale of Firearms

Pistols and Revolvers

A DPS-67-C and a DPS-3-C (4 copies) must be completed. The seller of the handgun must contact the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit at (860) 685-8400, or 1-(888) 335-8438 and obtain an authorization number for that sale. This number is to be added to both forms. The DPS-67-C is to be retained by the seller for 20 years. The seller should retain the original copy of the DPS-3 for their records, give one copy to the purchaser as a receipt, submit one copy to the local police authority where the purchaser resides and submit a final copy to the Commissioner of Public Safety.

despp: Firearms

Straw Purchases are frowned upon.

I've never heard of the definition "straw purchase" being used to describe purchase of a firearm for someone who may legally buy one him/herself. Do it to much, or purchase with the intention of resale, and you risk trouble acting as a dealer without a license.

Kevlar Has the right info. Very easy. I have done this plenty of times buying guns from the Classifieds or from friends.

for liability purposes and to show that you are a dedicated self defense practicer, own your own pistol, keep service/repair/ammo records. this demonstrates you are not just a casual user who may have grabbed the gun and unintentionally discharged it. i document my training and safety classes as well.

for liability purposes and to show that you are a dedicated self defense practicer, own your own pistol, keep service/repair/ammo records. this demonstrates you are not just a casual user who may have grabbed the gun and unintentionally discharged it. i document my training and safety classes as well.

Maybe it's the four Heinekens and two Sierra Nevada's, but I don't have a damn clue as to what you're talking about. I'll read this again in the morning when I'm sober.

straw purchase is purchasing for someone who otherwise couldn't legally obtain a firearm.....

buy the damned thing, hand it to her.....
do you have his and hers milk bottles in the fridge?

straw purchase is purchasing for someone who otherwise couldn't legally obtain a firearm.....

buy the damned thing, hand it to her.....
do you have his and hers milk bottles in the fridge?

Exactly.

This is not MA.
Remember, one does not need any kind of permit to possess a handgun, or even to own one.

The scenario you described is not a straw purchase. You are husband and wife. You live in the same house. She is not a PP.

Buy the gun. Bring it into your marital domicile, let her shoot the gun.

When she gets her pistol permit, she can carry it. There is no need to legally transfer the gun.
If she wants it to be "her gun". Thats fine. But there is no legal requirement to do so.

In CT you can actually loan a handgun to a non-permit holder. Perfectly legal. They can't leave their home with it. But its legal for them to keep it in their home.

since you are sober think if you were in court after you shoot an intruder and they try to prove you accidentally discharged the pistol you were using, and they try to prove you were untrained and unfamiliar with the weapon. who will look better to a jury? the guy who has documentation as to proficiency and can enter files, records other evidence without having to take the stand or you just saying im a good shot and i it was not an accident. why do you think cops have to qualify every year or 6 months, its a liablity thing. if you dont see what i mean just do it anyway and you will be better off in case something happens, or consult an attorney and pay for the same advice i gave.

Exactly.

This is not MA.
Remember, one does not need any kind of permit to possess a handgun, or even to own one.

The scenario you described is not a straw purchase. You are husband and wife. You live in the same house. She is not a PP.

Buy the gun. Bring it into your marital domicile, let her shoot the gun.

When she gets her pistol permit, she can carry it. There is no need to legally transfer the gun.
If she wants it to be "her gun". Thats fine. But there is no legal requirement to do so.

In CT you can actually loan a handgun to a non-permit holder. Perfectly legal. They can't leave their home with it. But its legal for them to keep it in their home.

Pretty much what I was saying.

Husband - Wife.

Both licensed.

Why care who owns what ?

since you are sober think if you were in court after you shoot an intruder and they try to prove you accidentally discharged the pistol you were using, and they try to prove you were untrained and unfamiliar with the weapon. who will look better to a jury? the guy who has documentation as to proficiency and can enter files, records other evidence without having to take the stand or you just saying im a good shot and i it was not an accident. why do you think cops have to qualify every year or 6 months, its a liablity thing. if you dont see what i mean just do it anyway and you will be better off in case something happens, or consult an attorney and pay for the same advice i gave.

Exactly. Getting training and a PP is a nicety that is a smart thing to do. However, if your options are either to be unarmed without a permit or armed without a permit, being armed is clearly the better choice.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
Pretty much what I was saying.

Husband - Wife.

Both licensed.

Why care who owns what ?

Thats not what I said. You actually missed my point.

They are NOT both licensed, and they don't need to be licensed.
In fact, NEITHER need to be licensed to keep a handgun in the home.
Like I said, you can loan a handgun to a person, or people who do not have a state issued Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers a/k/a Pistol Permit.

Other ways to LAWFULLY possess handguns without any kind of license are:
1) you moved to CT with handguns and never got a permit
2) you bought a handgun before '94, when you didn't need a permit to buy a handgun
3) you had a permit, bought a gun, then let your permit expire

Don

p.s. I don't know if you are in MA, but you are thinking like someone from MA.

Back
Top Bottom