What are the WARMEST non-wool winter SOCKS?

GlockJock

NES Member
Gonna be working/walking outdoors a lot for work that winter...I can't wear wool (skin allergies etc), but want to find the warmest socks I can for winter...BUT...they can NOT be WOOL....Any suggestions / thoughts?....Thanks

Why cant you wear wool over a pair of socks? Double up on the socks with an insulated pair of boots. And my feet get so hot I can wear jeans a medium sweatshirt and hat in all but the coldest of days.

I am very happy with my alpaca socks. Still animal, not sheep. Don't know if that is an issue.

This.

There are several other wools that are warmer than sheep’s wool. Alpaca, Bison, and musk ox. In that order IIRC.

I have a pair of bison socks and bison knit gloves. They are pricey but noticeably warmer than my merino wool socks.

I also wear a thin polypropylene sock in between the insulating sock and my foot to wick away any moisture from my skin. This also makes a big difference.

A good pair of boots goes a long way here and it is important to make sure that you have plenty of room in that boot. People oftenselect boots that are too tight.

Bob

Find a really good local outdoor store in your area. They will sell the Darn Tough line. Not sure what of theirs is wool or not, but they are the best socks I've ever worn, better than Wigwams and Smartwools.

The Darn Tough socks are a blend of merino wool and other materials they do an excellent job keeping your feet dry anytime of year. I have been wearing these sock for several years they are great and your feet will love you and they are American made as well. Another sock I wear is Fox River American made as well and they have some really socks for the extreme cold that I wear. If you work outside both sock brands will take over your sock drawer completely.

Darn Tough are my favorite socks.
Not sure about non wool.

Wool: Darn Tough:
If you had to, a person can wear the same pair for more than one day and still not smell.

I wear Snap On socks every day, love 'em. Even though they are pretty warm, I'm sure there are warmer socks out there.

Im sure there are, but those and a good pair of boots served me well. I never really liked the wool socks. I think good boots are more important than the socks

Darn Tough socks have a LIFETIME warranty if you can believe it.
Our Guarantee
How does your warranty work?
In a nutshell, if you wear a hole in them, we will replace them free of charge, for life. Our socks are guaranteed to be the most comfortable, durable and best fitting socks you can buy. If for some reason you are dissatisfied with your purchase, visit our Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee and fill out our online warranty form.
Pricey, but made in the USA and worth it.

They have a line "cool-max" or something like it which doesn't use wool.

Otherwise Alpaca wool socks will be the warmest you can find around commonly enough before getting into rare exotic wools.

Why cant you wear wool over a pair of socks? Double up on the socks with an insulated pair of boots. And my feet get so hot I can wear jeans a medium sweatshirt and hat in all but the coldest of days.

This. A pair of polypropylene liner socks under a pair of wool or cotton boot socks encased in a thinsulate-insulated and gortex-lined boot. This setup lets your feet breath and draws moisture away from your feet into the outer pair of socks. Keeps them warm and dry. A good boot is pretty important to this working, though.

Cabela's Men's Midcalf Polypropylene Liner Socks — Two-Pack : Cabela's

Can't attest to the non-wool Darn Tough variety but if they're even half as awesome as the wool ones get them.

I used to do some serious mileage at work(blow out sox[Smart Wool] inside a month and a new pair of New Balance every seven-eight weeks), I've got some Darn Toughs going on a year now and are still holding together. I've saved so much loot going with them I'm not even going to bother sending them in for replacements, I'm more than happy to spend another ~$15 a pair to support them.

I checked....unfortunately, they're wool.

Under there FAQ, they have another product called Coolmax....maybe that's a summer sock though?
What is the difference between Merino Wool and Coolmax?
Merino wool is a durable, natural fiber that keeps you cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Merino wool wicks moisture away from your skin and it dries very quickly. Merino wool is naturally anti-microbial which means you can wear merino wool socks for days on end without them getting that funky workout smell. Coolmax is a durable man-made fiber that is ideal for warmer temperatures. Coolmax wicks moisture away from your skin and also dries very quickly. Coolmax is an excellent alternative for those may not prefer wool or are allergic to wool fibers.

...I can't wear wool (skin allergies etc), but want to find the warmest socks I can for winter...BUT...they can NOT be WOOL....Any suggestions / thoughts?....Thanks
GlockJock, have you ever tried wearing merino? Like you, I just cannot wear wool against my skin. But a few months ago, for the first time ever, I bought a pair of merino boot socks. They're incredible. NO itch, no scratch, and merino has other laudable characteristics.

Buy a pair and try them?

Darn Tough socks have a LIFETIME warranty if you can believe it.
Our Guarantee

Pricey, but made in the USA and worth it.

They have a line "cool-max" or something like it which doesn't use wool.

Otherwise Alpaca wool socks will be the warmest you can find around commonly enough before getting into rare exotic wools.

Thanks - I bought some Darn Tough socks a couple of years ago based on some rave reviews. They shrunk so much that I can't even get them on my feet any longer. For $15 I can get 3 pair of black extra large Carhartt socks, the best socks on the planet for big footed people.

I wear Snap On socks every day, love 'em. Even though they are pretty warm, I'm sure there are warmer socks out there.
i have a pair of winter snap on socks picked up 20 years ago when I tried thier branded boots. The boots where shit but the socks are still going 20 years now. They are not very heavy but serioulsy I only where them on the coldest of days whe out doors. Good boots go a long way.
i have a pair of redwing boots for cold days when active IIRC its 600 grams of insulation might be 800?. I wear my everyday socks with these.
if im going ice fishing or know im not going fo be moving a lot i go for my heavier boots which are in need of replacement. I cant even remeber what brand these are. Tall rubber 1200 g insulation, old and the rubber got gas on them few years back and are now falling appart.
I generally dont wear "warm" socks unless I know im going to be out in 20'f or less for extended times. That does not happen often.

GlockJock, have you ever tried wearing merino? Like you, I just cannot wear wool against my skin. But a few months ago, for the first time ever, I bought a pair of merino boot socks. They're incredible. NO itch, no scratch, and merino has other laudable characteristics.

Buy a pair and try them?
Correct ammundo. Merino Wool/Smart Wool doesn't itch due to its structure. I have several pairs of Merino Boot Socks. Can walk in them all day, no slipping, no blisters, warm and no itch.

never purchase from REI they are anti 2a. You Shop at d icks too?
Yes, we are well beyond the point of where we better start standing shoulder to shoulder. We simply must be aware of who is with us and who is against us. REI is against us and non of us should ever darken their door.

Back
Top Bottom