What are these?

shotgunwilly870

NES Member
A friend found these and isnt sure what they are I know they look like blanks they are .308 with red stuff inside any idea what they are for sure?
e2ype2e2.jpg
y8uraqys.jpg

They look like the low pressure practice rounds for .308. Great for bolt actions but don't have enough pressure to cycle semi-autos. But I've only seen those in blue plastic tips (German manufacture I believe). These appear to be brass bullets. Blank rounds don't have a bullet or tip and are crimped closed.

I think they're blanks. Can you pull the 'projectile' part off or not? If not, blanks.

Look like blanks.Look like some of the stuff we used in BCT.They will work with a semi auto if you have a blank adapter.

Yep... blanks.

Not 100% sure if it's 7.62/.308 or not, although it does look like it (that's not a standard USGI ammo can).

The red tip is a small piece of cardboard wedged inside to keep the powder in.

It's easily pushed in so you can dump the powder out... which you can save for fun and games, all sorts of mischief [smile](I would not use it for reloading).

Last edited:
My Yugo AK has the grenade launcher sight/gas block off to direct all the gases out the barrel to launch grenades I wish they were 7.62x39's I could launch some golf balls
y9anavu4.jpg

Not for the M1 Garand...

These are. The ones with 5 crimps
Safety.jpg

M82 (M60 Machine Gun Blanks, de-linked.)

M82.gif
215837d1309111221t-7-62x51-blanks-

This. They are the blanks for an M60 machine gun, but they are missing the links. I had to carry enough of those during our field training exercises 20 years ago. I still have several strands linked together that my nephew is displaying in his room.

M82 (M60 Machine Gun Blanks, de-linked.)

M82.gif
215837d1309111221t-7-62x51-blanks-

The red wax like substance in shells like that should be "blanks" BUT have heard from years ago that if pointed at someone the wax plug can cause injury.

Back
Top Bottom