What are you doing for Field Day?

Hello folks. New here. I am an N2 since before there was a No-Code license and I have no idea what happened since. Was very active. ARD, PIO, AEC for two counties, Instructor, club officer...

Have any plans to get out into the field? I'd think participating in Field Day, or at least stopping by one, would be on many folks here's agenda.

If you've never been, take some time, find a spot, and go. But plan to spend some time to really take in what went on and is going on.

If you ARE going or participating, please share who, what, when, where, how, why...

Gehr

Not sure where you are located, but feel free to stop by our site in Swansea, MA. We have a pair of club's holding a combined FD. We are rolling out our newly made portable tower for our Mosley Classic 36 tri-bander.

eh, been a ham for 20-odd years (and believe me, i know a lot of odd hams....) not going to do a thing, haven't touched my license or my radio in probably 8 years...... the intertubes done got me.....

I"m part of the Sturdy Club, they hold Field Day at North Attleboro's WWI Park. I would be there...but we have an upgrade going on this weekend...so I'll be working 20 hour days covering 24 hour shifts between three of us from Friday night until midnight Tues.

Spent the day at the top of Mt Wachusetts operating on 6m and 2m as W1GZ club call. Not a huge number of contacts (~50) compared to the pileups on 10m, but talked to S.FL on 6m and PA on 2m. I ran my home QTH mini-field day during my daughters graduation party yesterday - great weekend of radio.

-Tim KQ1Y

This was my first Field Day and I had a blast. My son and I got our tickets 1.5yrs ago and we really haven't been on HF until now. We are members of the Cape Ann club in Gloucester who set up in the ball field at Fuller Elementary school. My son begged to camp the night so while he got trained on the 40M station I went home for the camping gear and my hand-held satellite antenna.

My 12YO son worked the 40M station from 2:00pm until 11:30pm with only ocasional breaks (proud daddy smiley goes here). I floated around between the digital, 6M/2M, GOTA and CW stations but my main job was to hit a satellite for 100 points. I failed, but not for lack of trying. Two FM satellites have died and a 3rd has software problems. That left 2 I could work, and of course their passes were at inhumane hours: 230am, 3:30am, 5:00am and just before Sunday closing 1:50pm. One guy copied all my info but the sattelite was cutting in and out due to rotation and I never got his class and location. Still, it was kind of fun to be up in the middle of the night in the fog.

Good people, good food, good fun. I'm definetly doing Field Day again next year.

Last edited:
Great job by your son!

I worked W1GLO on 6m on Sunday at 12.26 - look forward to QSO's in the future! You have HF at home?

-Tim
KQ1Y

We just missed you. We were working 6M for few contacts around noon Sunday, but I don't remember any MA contacts.
I just got an FT-857 hooked to 2 ground rods and a 100' long wire antenna. I'm still learing how to work the radio and really should be paying attention to the house chores but I'll be trying some HF QSOs this weekend for sure. Among other things Field Day got my boys Ham juices flowing again and I want to keep up his momentum.

John. Nice interview!
Bob, great job with your son. We've got to get our kids together on the air. My son has a couple of friends but theyndont qso too often.

It looks like my 13yo son and I will be camped out at a school in Gloucester with the Gloucester club. This year I learned some CW so I'm planning on doing some CW when the experts are too tired (or drunk) to man the CW tent.

If I have time before, I'm also going to take a thermoelectric cooler and see if I can't make a 12V battery charger by heating one side with a candle and cooling the other with a CPU heatsink/fan. If it works it will get the clup extra points for contacts with non-put-put generator power. On paper I should be able to get an amp into the battery which would be more than enough to make some low power contacts.

There was talk of the club borrowing a 100' crank-up tower on a big trailer (needs commercial driver's license) but I think that fell through. That would have been cool.

Back
Top Bottom