What are you shooting AT this weekend?

Today I'll be participating in a 2-gun Zombie Match (centerfire rifle and pistol) at Rockville Fish & Game in Vernon, CT. In honor of 9/11/01, I've heard that they're gonna replace some/most of the zombie targets with this:

47eb4c49-9924-fdff.jpg

OZOMBIE BIN LADEN

So, essentially, I'll be killing zombie terrorists! Fun!

I was shooting at some self-healing targets. Tried to get my new scope sighted in but before I could get a read on where the bullet hit, the target healed. Wasted a lot if ammo!

Last edited:
Archery targets. Had my new claplock crossbow out at archery practice. Shot a royal round score of 64... not bad considering that A) I hadn't practiced at 40 yards and B) the damn thing shoots a foot or so left at 20 yards. I think the prod needs to be remounted... [sad]

40 yard target - the two misses at the bottom were me not being sure what elevation to use. Looks like point-blank on this thing is about 35 yards as the last four bolts were aimed about 6"-8" above the center of the target.
IMAG0693.jpg

IMAG0441.jpg

The usual cardboard and steel. I'm missing WPRC's IDPA match for a friend's wedding, but I'm shooting Area 7 on Sunday.

Oddly enough, I was at a wedding yesterday, too.

Last edited:
Went out with my son today, he was shooting at paper targets with my .22 bolt in preperation for some squirrel hunting.

I grabbed his Stevens .410 single shot and bagged me some huge dragonflies that were the size of small pigeons. [laugh]

got the tech sights installed on my wife's 10/22, sighted her in at 25yds after a bit of instruction and a lot of patience....
then let her go to town on some zombies...

IMAG0426.jpg

much more PC than what i was shooting at....

Friday I shot cardboard and steel at Harvard. Worked stage 10 all day Saturday. Sunday bowling pins with the .22, steel plates with the .45 and then paper with the black powder rifle.

A good weekend. [grin]

why would you shoot pins with a .22?

Well, Lunenburg used to do it.... it was pin tops, where they cut the top half of the pins and put them on a small table. It's a whole hell of a lot cheaper than shooting full pins on both sides of the equation. Not as exciting, but it was cheap fun.

-Mike

Why not? They are great targets. [thinking]

We use a mix of full size 10-pins, 1/2 candle pins, pin tops, and a few other assorted small targets including small metal rams and some Nu-Bold type targets.

Ross, Singletary rod and Gun in Oxford. Last shoot for the summer season is next Sunday 9/18/11.

if it's pin tops on a small table i can imagine i would get injured less making a small table than i would if i was to make another full-sized table. [laugh]

unless someone has shredded that part of the table there's a spot with my blood on it on the newer of the two NLRG tables.

'Cause it's fun?

Why not? They are great targets. [thinking]

We use a mix of full size 10-pins, 1/2 candle pins, pin tops, and a few other assorted small targets including small metal rams and some Nu-Bold type targets.

Ross, Singletary rod and Gun in Oxford. Last shoot for the summer season is next Sunday 9/18/11.

Nenamasek used to have a rimfire class - they used full candlepins.

I'd love to go next weekend but I won't be in the area in the morning. Oh, well. I'll keep an eye out for next year.

The pin shoot at Chicopee Sportsman's Club also uses .22 only... but they only require that the pin is knocked down, not that it clears the table. They also use pin tops (once the pins get too heavy) and full or 1/2 candle pins.

Sadly, I never made it out to the range. I did take the kids out in the back yard with BB guns on Sunday though. We had a large piece of cardboard and I spray painted my best rendition of a terrorist on it.

Last Sunday and this Sunday we shoot pins with a 22 @ 25 yards at Singletary Rod & Gun in Sutton. The pins are the biggest targets and by the time you get to target #6 you are shooting at the very top of a pin. It's fun so I bought some off an NES member, at a good price, I might add!

Back
Top Bottom