what brand 7.62x39 ammo do you shoot

greencobra

NES Member
Geting ready to get an AK, never shot 7.62x39 or looked at the ammo before. Frankly I just know 2 brands, Wolf & Tula. See tons of both, especially last Feb at the Wilmington show, seems to be cheap enough. This is Russian surplus? There only seems to be one bullet weight, 122 or 123 gr., i forgot what I just read, but this is the std military round I'm thinking? Does anyone reload this round cause Im guessing maybe not unless you want a different weight bullet? Throw some facts at me, I can take it.
EDIT: plan on adding a scope later but only have a 300 yd range, Harvard, but want to go out to 500. Just trying to see what it will do. A range toy right now.

Last edited:
Both mentioned
Expect pie plate accuracy + or - at 100yrds with either but they run well through a standard AK

I used to shoot mostly Tula, but then I started buying Golden Tiger by the case.

I never had a bad round from any of the brands I've tried.

Most of the 7.62x39 ammo you will find is FMJ, but there is also hollow point and soft point out there. By the case, HP is around the same price as FMJ. SP tends to be more expensive and harder to find, and is probably only worth buying if you plan to hunt with it.

Wolf, Golden Tiger, Brown Bear, Silver Bear, Tula, Red Army, Herter's, all seem to function just fine. Yugo surplus is the only brass cased that I have found. It works well too, and used to be the cheapest, but crates are harder to come by now. It is also corrosive.

It's AK. Whatever is cheap. I shoot a ton of Brown Bear and it goes bang every time.

price out some .312 dia you will quickly see reloading is not cost effective. you will gain nothing. plus you would need to find boxer primed brass.....
buy what ever you can find.....
you will probably have better luck hitting targets @ 300 with iron sights than with a scope..... let us know how you make out.
as for ammo I like golden tiger

I would DEFINITELY test a 20 round box of hollow point 7.62x39 in your AK before buying it in bulk.

Most AKs run FMJ ammo with no problems. The same cannot be said for hollow point ammo.

It was made as an afterthought, as it wasn't truly developed alongside the AK during the rifle's beginnings.

My WASR and my friend's Yugo M-PAP would get NASTY failure to feed malfunctions with JHP that were a bitch to clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with the others on here, whatever is cheapest. More often than not I find Tula, but don't really care if it's FMJ or HP. My Saiga seems to eat whatever (as a any true AK should)

I would DEFINITELY test a 20 round box of hollow point 7.62x39 in your AK before buying it in bulk.

Most AKs run FMJ ammo with no problems. The same cannot be said for hollow point ammo.

It was made as an afterthought, as it wasn't truly developed alongside the AK during the rifle's beginnings.

My WASR and my friend's Yugo M-PAP would get NASTY failure to feed malfunctions with JHP that were a bitch to clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's interesting. I never heard of that before. I guess I must have gotten lucky with my M&M M10, as I've accidentally bought several boxes of both HP and soft point that were mixed in with regular fmj and never had any issues with any of them. Good info though.

wolf, wpa (wolf "performance"), golden tiger, tula, brown bear, silver bear, red army. there is also surplus ammo and some brass ammo but that is expensive.

golden tiger is the best value. Stock golden tiger and shoot through the other steel cased stuff. Golden tiger is lacquer coated, sealed bullets and primer and the bullet is a boat tail.

Golden Tiger and Brown Bear.
this is a smart man..LOL...I have never had a failure with any 7.62x39 round, ever....I have a case or was it 4 of Golden Tiger that is put away, so what I shoot is Wolf, WPA, Brown Bear Laq coated not Poly (Either is ok though) Red Army May be corrosive I hear so I don't shoot it, and last is Tula. Any animal will work just fine .

Last edited:
Tula and Wolf here, I have some Red Army I havnt shot yet but reading here Mike says he hears its corrosive which I did not know. Im not 100% certain that all of this cheap Tula/Wolf ammo isnt corrosive all the way but geezuz my Rifle gets DIRTY after shooting a few hundred rounds through it with this stuff, never a failure so far after about 5-7 hundred rounds fired though.

Shoot everything. Golden Tiger is my favorite by far. Fiochi and PPU, Red Army Elite, and Arsenal are all brass cased. You will pay through the nose for the nose for them.

GT, brown bear is my usual go to. Lots of Yugo saved up which i play with from time to time. I would say that is my favorite, but come on, who wants to have to clean their AK everytime?

And 300 yds is pretty far...I can still hit pretty well w all mine at 300, but 500...ha that i have not given a go yet.

Golden Tiger..... clean, my commie guns love it, failing that, Wolf WPA, Wolf MC, Tula if i'm desperate....
i have some Norinco SHTF if i get REALLY desperate....

Cobra, the main thing is to buy NOW!

Don't go nutty, but buy a case or two.

Why?

I use walmart's ammo case as a forecaster to National tragedies, unfortunately the cases are ALMOST FULL....again.

Cobra, the main thing is to buy NOW!

Don't go nutty, but buy a case or two.

Why?

I use walmart's ammo case as a forecaster to National tragedies, unfortunately the cases are ALMOST FULL....again.

^
This
Buy it cheap ,and stack it deep as the saying goes.

I shoot a SKS D and M and have a 3 friends who shoot AK's. Between us I guess we've just about shot most of the 7.62 rounds out there. Most ammo will work fine in your SKS/AK. Steel cases are fine to shoot and Brass is fine to but for my two cents it not worth the extra cost unless you plan to reload. However we stay away from any ammo that is corrosive. If I cant tell the ammo is noncorrosive, I pass on buying no mater how cheap it is.

Brown/Silver Bear/Wolf is good but I think the best 7.62x39 ammo is the Golden Tiger stuff.
Never heard of anyone who's had any problems with it and I like to stick with a good quality round that works so I'll know how it will perform.

The best place to find Golden Tiger (at the best price) is up in Merrimack NH at Collectable Arms and Ammo.
They carry it by the box (20rds), 30 cal. ammo can (480rds), half a case (500rds) and full case (1000rds).
We usual stop by every month or so and pick up a case or two and split it 4 ways.

With all that stuff happening with Russia we may decide to get a few more case next time we go over.
Figure its better to have (at a lower price) and not need it then to need it and have to pay for it at a higher price!

Back
Top Bottom