What brand of 9mm ammo is not "Plated", I've got a Ported barrel I want to shoot

I'm seeing these warnings on Blazer and Federal to not use this ammo with Ported barrels, so anyone know what brand is not plated and is actually Jacketed ammo?
I'm a little bummed and pissed as I have tons of blazer (that's what I always shoot) and quite a bit of American Eagle.
I thought I was all set for a while but I guess not [sad2]

Bummer! Any FMJ or JHP will be jacketed- hence the 'J'. Is your Blazer and Federal ammo labeled FMJ? That would blow if it's labeled FMJ but is only plated layer.

So many brands of FMJ. I have Winchester white box, Fiocchi, and probably several others in the ammo box.

Bummer! Any FMJ or JHP will be jacketed- hence the 'J'. Is your Blazer and Federal ammo labeled FMJ? That would blow if it's labeled FMJ but is only plated layer.

So many brands of FMJ. I have Winchester white box, Fiocchi, and probably several others in the ammo box.

yes they all say FMJ but when you read closely they use a "[FONT=&amp]a full metal jacket copper plated bullet, brass casing" Blazer does it , lawman does it and Federal Does it.
[/FONT]
of course the 3 brands I usually tend to use.
I'm hoping fiocchi and Sellier & Bellot are not plated as I can get along with those 2....even Aguila if need be,
but I can't find specifics on those

yes they all say FMJ but when you read closely they use a "[FONT=&]a full metal jacket copper plated bullet, brass casing" Blazer does it , lawman does it and Federal Does it.
[/FONT]
of course the 3 brands I usually tend to use.
I'm hoping fiocchi and Sellier & Bellot are not plated as I can get along with those 2....even Aguila if need be,
but I can't find specifics on those

they are probably using "plated jackets" take a magnet to them see if they attract a magnet. You then have steel plated copper coated bullets. Another easy test. Take a pocket knife to the jacket if they are plated it will cut into it much easier than traditional FMJ
I can only imagine what they are using for jacket material these days. I can see aluminum and zinc being in the mix at some point if not already out there.
I would also gander that IF its just plated lead it might just be more prone to shave off material going though the break/comp

Last edited:
well I got it to the range today and I must say a red dot on a 5" barrel is the balls. LOL!
I shot Blazer brass 124
American Eagle 124
Fiocchi 115 and 124
Lawman 124
and Geco 115.
I had no problems with any of these rounds except the Geco
I had 2 fail to feeds so I punted on that stuff (My shield loves it so it's all good)
I had the best results with the Fiocchi 124 and American Eagle 124.
the Blazer was fine but I did feel some scrapings bounce off of my arm while shooting with it.
No issues with the Lawman either. I brought a cloth with me and a little bottle of Hoppes 9 cleaner and wiped down the front end
of the barrel and the slide every 40 rounds or so, it stayed pretty clean. I think I'm going to go with Fiochi as soon as I can find a place that
doesn't rape me on it and actually has it in stock.

Last edited:
I thought all ammo from federal and blazer was full metal jacket. That's news to me. I reload but I'll have to do more research just out of curiousity.

I thought all ammo from federal and blazer was full metal jacket. That's news to me. I reload but I'll have to do more research just out of curiousity.

I would not be to happy if it was sold as FMJ and find out its just plated. IDK I just think it's a tad shaddy to say FMJ vs plated.
It's nice to know what your really getting.
Also it's funny plated may have issues with muzzle devices. I have shot along side some pistol and rifle shooters with cast bullets and brakes and comps with no lead spitting out?

Last edited:
Federal, Speer, and Blazer are all made by the same company. Speer and American Eagle definitely call their plates bullets FMJ. I've never heard of steel plated bullets either - steel jacketed sure, but that's not what OP is referring to.

It's not an issue with muzzle devices which are slightly over bore size. However ports in a barrel can strip plated bullets.

got out there again yesterday and shot some Blazer, American Eagle and Lawman.
Had no issues with any of the 3 but when shooting the Blazer I did feel some metal filings bounce off of my left arm :(
I took this gun home on Saturday cleaned it and hit the range with it twice, put 350 rounds through it. cleaned it last night,
what a bitch to clean around the ports.
Also looking into Sellier and Bellot 124 gr , lot of positive reviews online about how hot and clean that stuff is. We shall see :)

Wow I just did some quick research and Blazer and American Eagle both use a plated bullet. Had no idea. I wish I had known this years ago before I reloaded and was limited to lead/plated ammo at my indoor range....

got out there again yesterday and shot some Blazer, American Eagle and Lawman.
Had no issues with any of the 3 but when shooting the Blazer I did feel some metal filings bounce off of my left arm :(
I took this gun home on Saturday cleaned it and hit the range with it twice, put 350 rounds through it. cleaned it last night,
what a bitch to clean around the ports.
Also looking into Sellier and Bellot 124 gr , lot of positive reviews online about how hot and clean that stuff is. We shall see :)

S&B and Herters brass ammo (sold at Cabelas) is loaded very warm - if that's what you're looking for.

I am still somewhat in the dark here about who does not use a plated bullet and who makes a truly jacketed bullet that is safe to use in ported barrels.

So I've heard back from Magtech and Fiocchi, both are good to go in Ported barrels.
still have not heard back from Federal in regards to American Eagle
or Sellier and Bellot

heard back from American Eagle---good to go
I tried some of the USA line Armscor 124gr the other night. Pleasantly surprised at how clean and accurate it ran. Good kick to it as well, I am waiting
to hear back them them as well.

This isn't a particularly informed reply, but I almost exclusively shoot Federal Aluminum 9mm and have found plenty of them after firing (particularly after a vehicle course where I found a number of mangled ones that had gone through glass and sheetmetal). The jacket seems perfectly thick on these bullets. Wouldn't have even occurred to me that they could be an issue.

I'm also guessing Blazer has a decent jacket because I had a big piece of jacket with a bunch of lead attached ricochet into my leg in the aforementioned course. Didn't seem copper plated to me, when I picked up the fragment. Full disclosure, the frag came off a Blazer .40S&W FMJ but I'd think it would be the same for 9mm.

Another thought... You could throw a cutting bit on a dremel and cut into your existing ammo to see if the jacket is thick.

Armscor responded as well
"We do not recommend using due to shaving of Jackets while passing ports."
so they are out to.
Looks like
American Eagle
Fiocchi
Sellier and Bellot
Aquila
and Magtech are my "safe" choices to use with my ported barrel.
Hello Nick
We do not recommend, do to shaving of jacket while passing across the ports
Hello Nick
Hello Nick

You can also look into American Eagle Syntech - AE9SJ1 - assuming you can find it. Basically Nyclad for 9mm.

Golden Sabers appear to be a true jacketed bullet, based on the jacket material I've recovered from my berm.
RMR makes their own 124 FMJ-FN if you roll your own.

upqyRW7l.jpg

also just heard back from Speer on the Lawman total jacketed 124 and 147 and according to their rep,
their plating is 5 to 8 times thicker than what you'd usually see on a plated bullet (VS what's on blazer Brass)
so they said it is fine to use in a ported barrel. I mean , I still shoot blazer through mine (I have a ton of it)
and although it does get my barrel ports dirtier than the S& or Fiocchi, I haven't had any issues with it.
I'm starting to wonder if this is just all legal "let's cover our butts" jargon.
Oh and NavalOfficer , there are a couple of guys local to me that are starting to reload their own 9mm
so I may hook up with them and split some costs and get into it. Right now I just don't have the time (or any of the equipment)

Last edited:
Gotcha. I believe I've used up all of those bullets anyway; they are all loaded up now. The pieces of jacketing that I pick up from the pit tells me that these are truly a jacketed bullet.
Although reloading 9x19mm with 115g FMJ isn't very big savings, it does make some sense when loading an obscure or uncommon bullet. The Wolf steel-cased 115g at $7.50 (Wal-Mart) is tough to beat and that seems to have a very tough jacket material.
Good luck.

I've been having real good luck using
S&B 124 gr
Aguila 124 gr
Lawman 147gr (quickly becoming my favorite)
American Eagle 147 is also good but more $$ than the Lawman
The S&B seems to run the cleanest out of the 4 and seems to be plenty accurate but
the Lawman 147 shoots very soft through a 5" ported barrel so my follow up shots are quite good with it.
I've probably shot 2,000 rounds in the last 5 weeks of these 4 rounds so I've got a good baseline to judge
with now.
If I could get the Lawman 147 for the same price I can get the S&B or Aguila it would be game over I'd
just stick with that round full time.
I've got a buddy who lives very close by that I've been shooting with (we've been plowing through ammo) that has been reloading
.45acp for quite a while and lately we've been collecting our 9 mm casings, as he's been talking about reloading 9 now for a while,
so he's open to us splitting cost etc and trying some custom loads.
he just recently picked up a Colt 1911 in 9mm and he's in love with the thing so I see a lot of 9mm heading down range LOL!

dropped ina KKM non ported barrel this week so I am good to go with any ammo I like.
after all of that I found the Aguila 124, the S&B 124 and the American Eagle 147, the 3 best shooting rounds out of this gun.
A friend reloads and his 147gr round is just awesome and makes power factor so I'm hoping he makes a ton of them , so I can buy some of those for match use.
I feel like the KKm barrel is actually more accurate than the stock OEM ported one as well......go figure

Back
Top Bottom