What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Oh also made some of these for @Knob Creek and @TrashcanDan to try out in their wheel guns.
215 grain 38s from a 2 cavity Lyman 358627

View attachment 409416

I used the 180 gr version of that at Fall Walls of Steel in Sept.
Took down the poppers with ease.
Placed 244 / 303 with a time of 248.28, which isn't fantastic but I'll take it considering I was Stock Revo div and I was a little faster than some of the Open Revo and production semi-auto shooters.

Placed 244 / 303 with a time of 248.28, which isn't fantastic but I'll take it considering I was Stock Revo div and I was a little faster than some of the Open Revo and production semi-auto shooters.
Respectable for sure.

Damn right! I was there!!

Damn right! I was there!!

I THINK I was there too. ;)

Last night I cleaned up and covered the 2 Dillon SDB's (where I make 9mm and .45) and moved the chair over to the Rock Chucker. I'm hell bent on making at least 200 rounds of .308 before a winner of the POTUS race is declared. I can usually only spend about an hour per day reloading these days.

I got the only box of xtreme 200 grain .45 bullets at Cabelas today and loaded a few with 6 grains of HP38. I'll try them tomorrow. I'll also try SR4759 compared to AA5744 in the trapdoor with the Lyman 457125. The trapdoor likes that bullet as long as it's not going too fast. No primers or rimfire ammo at Cabelas but it was worth a look.

Decapping/resizing pin stuck?

Use a wood chisel. Hold the pin to one side, and split the case open about 1/3 to 1/2 down. Then gently pry with a flat head screwdriver. Workd like a charm. Super quick. Just get a cheap 1/2" to 1" chisel from Home Depot or Lowes.

I bought a 3-pack of .308 pins months ago after I snapped the tip off trying to punch out a damn berdan when I wasn’t paying attention. Already back at it but I’ll certainly take your advice to save that pin thank you!
C0E72A91-E4B0-4D0D-B100-C2BCEB1002AB.jpeg

I've currently got about 7 cases on my reloading Bench I've have to chisel off. It happens especially with mixed pickup brass and when you're doing something like watching Netflix at the same time you're processing.

So far tonight the cases that are giving me shit are Hornady match. The other regular Hornady cases are no problem at all. Tighter tolerances in the match cases maybe?
I don’t watch anything while I’m reloading anymore. Made too many stupid little mistakes. Music or podcasts only now.

So far tonight the cases that are giving me shit are Hornady match. The other regular Hornady cases are no problem at all. Tighter tolerances in the match cases maybe?
I don’t watch anything while I’m reloading anymore. Made too many stupid little mistakes. Music or podcasts only now.

Try giving the inside of the case mouths a light spray with some One Shot.

I use to despise One Shot but over the years I'm pretty certain they changed their formula and it works much better now.

I never do that. I'm just spraying 1k cases at a time with lanolin in a box, shaking it and going to town. Lee dies.

I don’t shoot nearly as much rifle as I do pistol so I go slow on the latter and roll each case across the lube pad before resizing. Some day I’ll speed it up on rifle rounds.

Just got back from the post office and loaded up 15 UTG 30rnd window mags and 5 Hexmag Series 2 mags.

Two more cans of linked Lake City .50bmg 4:1 ball/tracer on the way. The Palmetto web site now shows it for 299.99 with free shipping but when you add it to your cart the price jumps to 349.99/ +shipping. I put my order in yesterday before this increase so got the two additional cans for $299.99/free shipping each.

Prepping more .223 brass......the most tedious reloading cartridge out there when there's thousands to do.[banghead]

Last edited:
Just got back from the post office and loaded up 15 UTG 30rnd window mags and 5 Hexmag Series 2 mags.

Two more cans of linked Lake City .50bmg 4:1 ball/tracer on the way. The Palmetto web site now shows it for 299.99 with free shipping but when you add it to your cart the price jumps tp 339.99/ +shipping. I put my order in yesterday before this increase so got the two additional cans for $299.99/free shipping.

Prepping more .223 brass......the most tedious reloading cartridge out there when there's thousands to do.[banghead]
i just looked at the 2 boxes of 223 cases i have...aprox 10k ....waiting on a return call for a brass processing service. If the price is good and they anneal I might just sub it out.

i just looked at the 2 boxes of 223 cases i have...aprox 10k ....waiting on a return call for a brass processing service. If the price is good and they anneal I might just sub it out.

I thought about doing that many times before but I just do it in batches. I'm under no pressure for ammo so I do it until my eyes cross then walk away or change caliber. [smile]

I thought about doing that many times before but I just do it in batches. I'm under no pressure for ammo so I do it until my eyes cross then walk away or change caliber. [smile]
I dont have efficient way to anneal. If i can get these 10k cases processed and annealed i wont have to process any brass for a long while.

I dont have efficient way to anneal. If i can get these 10k cases processed and annealed i wont have to process any brass for a long while.

I don't concern myself with annealing. My brass is mostly once fired with some batches of twice fired and what few mouth splits that pop up I can afford to crimp them closed and toss them in the scrap bucket.
I crimped only three out of about 1000 cases the past couple of days and it wasn't even my brass it was range pickups.

I don't concern myself with annealing. My brass is mostly once fired with some batches of twice fired and what few mouth splits that pop up I can afford to crimp them closed and toss them in the scrap bucket.
I crimped only three out of about 1000 cases the past couple of days and it wasn't even my brass it was range pickups.
lots of this brass is 2-5+ reloaded. I can feel on the trimmer and through the die and seating the bullets the "hardness" the neck tension is not the same either. Same load on once fired will group better than the brass thats been sized 5 times or so. Just want to get it all down and annealed in one swift batch.
I have enough loaded plinking 55 grain ammo and enough prepped brass to get by for a good while. Having this batch ready on hand for when I run out would be nice. my "match AR brass" is still plentiful also

Last edited:
I learned after shooting at 600 how important brass is to the equation. So now I reload my go to ammo with 0-1 fired brass only.

That said, with mixed headstamp brass AND steel casings loaded with 77gr Sierra I can shoot 18" groups at 600 with my 1.5-5x MRT2 Leupold 18" primary gun.

That group comes down by half with good brass.

I still reload mixed brass and steel for training ammo. I'm confident I can easily shoot someone in the face out to 300yds with that mixed ammo.

The trapdoor shot better with the 5744 than it did with the 4759. The .45 loads with the HP38 shot well.
I went to the Reading range on Wednesday and it was full of guys shooting black powder.

We stsrted talking about trapdoor loads and they all recommended 5744. My manual also has 5744 as the best powder for a few loads.

I was going to use it in the BFR, but people say it burns dirty. My guess is the shorter barrel doesn't allow for a full burn.

Sorted 2, 5 gallon buckets of brass, mostly 9mm and 5.56. Bit of .45, as well as 30-06 and .308 in there. Made quick work using shell sorters sitting on top of an empty 5 gal bucket which was sitting on a vibratory tumbler. Dumping half a coffee can or so at a time in the sorters with the tumbler running and it works a treat. Best part of the day though was my Shockbottle 100 round case gauge came in the mail(9mm). They had a black anodized blem on sale for $74.00 so i pulled the trigger. No clue where the blem is, couldn't find it. I was really tired of gauging 500 or more 9mm one at a time. Recently did 3 batches of 500, and only gauged a hundred or so. I've got 1400 more i need to gauge, so timing was perfect!

Back
Top Bottom