• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Making your own case lube.

(1) 4oz bottle of liquid lanolin
(1) 32oz bottle of 91% or greater isopropyl alcohol
(1) spray bottle

Warm the lanolin under very hot water for at least 60 sec to lower viscosity. Pour into spray bottle. Fill bottle nearly to top with isopropyl alcohol. Leave some air in bottle. Put spray nozzle in, shake vigorously for about a minute.

You're now good to go for at least 50,000 5.56 cases or about 35,000 .308 cases. See my earlier video about coating in cardboard box. You will need to shake it for at least 30secs before each use. Keeping it room temp helps a lot on keeping the spray nozzle from gumming up.

This is the first time I've mixed a new bottle in 2 years. Which included doing the 30k .223 cases this year.

20201124_002622.jpg

Loaded up some .223. 19 cents per round sure beats the current market price.

Then, prepped 47 6.5x55 cases.
.19 cents, thats expensive!
i have some cheap fodder i load up for plinking.
Bought enough 55 grainers to last years.
The real saving comes when your loading higher quality bullets. 77gn Nosler custom comps run 19 cents each and bergers are .30+ each. Your paying $1+/rnd for most 223 match ammo.
i just broke into my stash of primers that cost me .025¢ ea. The resuply for those are .035¢ , what ever the cost to resupply those ????

i was just given 40 once fired lapua 6.5 swede cases. $40 savings right there

.19 cents, thats expensive!
i have some cheap fodder i load up for plinking.
Bought enough 55 grainers to last years.
The real saving comes when your loading higher quality bullets. 77gn Nosler custom comps run 19 cents each and bergers are .30+ each. Your paying $1+/rnd for most 223 match ammo.
i just broke into my stash of primers that cost me .025¢ ea. The resuply for those are .035¢ , what ever the cost to resupply those ????

i was just given 40 once fired lapua 6.5 swede cases. $40 savings right there
I can go cheaper, but I will save the real garbage for the $500 AR and not a nicer rifle. I have some pulled 55gr that ran me 4 cents each.

I can go cheaper, but I will save the real garbage for the $500 AR and not a nicer rifle. I have some pulled 55gr that ran me 4 cents each.
I bought a bucket of general dynamics 55gn about 10 years ago. They are plinking only for sure, must have been rejects, weights varry +/- 5 grains, jackets are all sorts of colors, cannelure if they have it are inconsistent. All said and down I think it was .025 each. Bought by weight back then. Plus a boat load of hornady 55gn that are so much better at .04 each.
I dont get to the range much and most times its a match of some type. So im running better bullets.
Stocked up deep on noslers in 2017 for a average of .13 each. Was backing up that stock back in jan and running around .20-28¢ now.

I hit the sack kind of early last night about 8:15. Woke up at 1AM, had coffee and sat down at the press and loaded 250 40sw then went back to bed.
This morning went to the post office and picked up 1000 45acp 185gr hollow base, round nose jacketed bullets. Loaded up 25 with some Titegroup to test.
Pulled 30 tracers from the bmg ammo to be replaced with 695gr AP projos and powder adjusted.

For a long time I've been working towards simplifying my stock of bullets and powder. Got into one of my moods to clear out low-stock powder and bullets I have accumulated, things that I don't have bulk stock of and don't plan to buy more of. This mood has been going on for over a week. It took over 1300 rounds of light 38 special 125gr coated lead TCFP loads, but I used up my N320. I had 400 of the old-school Hornady 250gr hollow point bullets, so I loaded those up. Also had 100 of the corresponding 44 magnum 240gr bullets. Those got loaded yesterday. Only other bullets I don't have at least 500 of are a couple hundred Speer 240gr TMJ flat points. These are the ones that result in very long COAL and won't cycle in my Henry 44 or Ruger 44. I might load those next....

For a long time I've been working towards simplifying my stock of bullets and powder. Got into one of my moods to clear out low-stock powder and bullets I have accumulated, things that I don't have bulk stock of and don't plan to buy more of. This mood has been going on for over a week. It took over 1300 rounds of light 38 special 125gr coated lead TCFP loads, but I used up my N320. I had 400 of the old-school Hornady 250gr hollow point bullets, so I loaded those up. Also had 100 of the corresponding 44 magnum 240gr bullets. Those got loaded yesterday. Only other bullets I don't have at least 500 of are a couple hundred Speer 240gr TMJ flat points. These are the ones that result in very long COAL and won't cycle in my Henry 44 or Ruger 44. I might load those next....
Same here , un loved guns are going buy buy , 1/4 lb bottles if powder loaded up with all my bullets that are partial boxes like 31 in a 100 pc box
Ditch a good amount of stuff so far.
Im just to lazy to dig in hard and get it all done

Loaded a new 9mm 130 grain Bullet today..... The “Spangler Specials” in “Bad Ass Bronze”
Thank you Mike for these awesome bullets and Thank you Shawn for the primers! You guys are awesome! I can’t wait to run these through the chrono and see how they perform..

Attachments

• AFBEE4E0-DB6E-4C7A-967F-FDF684EC7045.jpeg
    AFBEE4E0-DB6E-4C7A-967F-FDF684EC7045.jpeg
    545 KB · Views: 21
  • EC4AAA54-B54C-4AED-8646-10D8E63077E0.jpeg
    EC4AAA54-B54C-4AED-8646-10D8E63077E0.jpeg
    492.7 KB · Views: 20
Loaded a new 9mm 130 grain Bullet today..... The “Spangler Specials” in “Bad Ass Bronze”
Thank you Mike for these awesome bullets and Thank you Shawn for the primers! You guys are awesome! I can’t wait to run these through the chrono and see how they perform..
What did you do for a load with those?

Only other bullets I don't have at least 500 of are a couple hundred Speer 240gr TMJ flat points. These are the ones that result in very long COAL and won't cycle in my Henry 44 or Ruger 44. I might load those next....
If you don’t want those I’ll take em off your hands....

Good stuff. I was amazed how clean my sport pistol loads were with Acme and Eggleston coated bullets. Almost no smoke and little fouling. Not a big deal but it was very noticeable.
I have to agree... It’s been my go to powder for poly or hi-tech coated bullets. I have also become fond of CFE Pistol for FMJ and copper plated.

Nice work Lee! Thank you for running the awesome matches with Knob. It’s great to see that club have some new life

Shot some cast bullet loads out of the Arisaka today. They shot slightly better at 100 yards than the full power jacketed loads and I found a big handful of 10mm brass at the 25 yard range.
Nice, i was just getting into testing cast loads for the arisaka when we had the post 2010 powder outage. Just been lazy getting back to it.
I have built up a few powder options for cast in the old wardogs.
So im going to try some 5744 , more trailboss testing , H4895 and of course 2400 . I was able to get down i to that sub 4 moa zone right from the rip and actually shot a decent cmp vintage score few years back.
The sights really hold me back. Im confident I can get one of my arisaka shooting Minute of SR 10 ring or less

Back
Top Bottom