What did you do in the reloading room recently?

@whacko
Just checking to make sure that you’re not wet tumbling and having moisture issues.
I second JEK and would check for loose bullets after loading.

Sometimes there is very thin brass depending on brand and sizing down doesn’t give it nearly enough neck tension. I’ve had this issue with 30/30 and you could tell because the expander had zero resistance when expanding. These bullets could be pushed back into the case unless you had a serious crimp. I segregated the brass and loaded two batches to see which one shoots better. Doubt it’s the loose ones.
I'll take some pix of the crimp tomorrow and show you guys.

Ok so more problems.

I loaded up 50 each 125 grain jsp with 14.1 grains 2400 powder.....weighed each charge individually so I know they are good. Stuck a bullet in the barrel of the Henry today. Plenty of powder......it's all in the barrel behind the bullet. That's 3 times now with this 2400 powder. I was using 2400 powder with no problems for months and now I'm having issues with the powder not burning at all.

Is 2400 temp sensitive or humidity sensitive? I load them in a cool basement like 65 degrees. When I go to the club to shoot some of the ammo has condensation on it from going from 65 to 80 plus degrees. Could that be the problem?
dump out the entire contents of the 2400 powder and inspect it, report it to manufacture maybe its a bad lot.
What primers , recheck your crimp.
Measure your bullets, check your brass, flare , crimp ext , i will echo I have been running 16 grains of 2400 in several 30 cal rifles with 130-200 grain cast bullets and not a issue yet.

I don't wet tumble I use corn media.

I'm really thinking this may be a moisture issue though. I store my ammo at 65 degrees in the basement. When I get to the range and take the ammo out of my bag it's wet on the outside with condensation. Anyone ever have this condition and have a problem with powder not detonating?

cool basement usually means damp and humid basement as well if there’s condensation on outside could very well be on inside as well? What if u take a test cartridge bring it outside and let it sweat than pull it apart?

dump out the entire contents of the 2400 powder and inspect it, report it to manufacture maybe its a bad lot.
What primers , recheck your crimp.
Measure your bullets, check your brass, flare , crimp ext , i will echo I have been running 16 grains of 2400 in several 30 cal rifles with 130-200 grain cast bullets and not a issue yet.
I had zero problems until the last couple batches I've run.

cool basement usually means damp and humid basement as well if there’s condensation on outside could very well be on inside as well? What if u take a test cartridge bring it outside and let it sweat than pull it apart?
I'll do that as well tomorrow and take pix.

My basement isn't damp......just cool. I leave a vent from the heating/AC unit open in the basement to keep the ac circulating and the humidity down. I store rifles in my safe with no rust prevention measures down there for over a decade and not a spot of rust on them.

I don't wet tumble I use corn media.

I'm really thinking this may be a moisture issue though. I store my ammo at 65 degrees in the basement. When I get to the range and take the ammo out of my bag it's wet on the outside with condensation. Anyone ever have this condition and have a problem with powder not detonating?
Of you have condensation then that could be the issue. It’s settling in and seeping around the primer or possibly the bullet.

I would look at a different storage spot.

Brass is near new. All the same headstamp and reloaded only a couple of times. This all started when I got a new bottle of 2400.....and also when I switched to my turret press.

If I am crimping lighter than usual will that cause this? I have a slight crimp in these but not as tight as other batches I've made.
magnum primer?

Of you have condensation then that could be the issue. It’s settling in and seeping around the primer or possibly the bullet.

I would look at a different storage spot.
I dunno. I've shot 9mm that went through the laundry (both washer and dryer) and shot just fine. I'd really like to know what brand of brass it is causing problems. Like I've said a few times in here, I had issues with PPU brass in 357 and 44 mag being thin and not having any tension on the bullets.

I don't think it's a powder issue as he's already loaded many rounds with the same batch of powder without any problems.

So bizarre.

I dunno. I've shot 9mm that went through the laundry (both washer and dryer) and shot just fine. I'd really like to know what brand of brass it is causing problems. Like I've said a few times in here, I had issues with PPU brass in 357 and 44 mag being thin and not having any tension on the bullets.

I don't think it's a powder issue as he's already loaded many rounds with the same batch of powder without any problems.

So bizarre.
Same here, I've had laundry bullets that go bang just fine as well as some questionable surplus stuff.

So bizarre.
Yeah I’ve heard of similar so who knows. It seems to be the most likely culprit though.
Other than ruling out contaminated powder or primers but that’s kind of hard to do I guess.

No. Magnum primer is not necessary for 2400 powder per all the manuals I have checked.

obviously trust your own research the most. is 2400 a ball powder? i'm not familiar but via gun shop folklore i learned that truthfully magnum primers help with ball powders. (although there's still some blue dot flying out in one of my 357mag recipes).

If its not the powder and you're sure of it, try a different batch of primers. or test that batch of primers in another caliber.

I just spent
Started setting up the XL650, man this thing has a lot of moving parts etc. I won't lie it's a little intimidating. Should be running off a few test cases tonight hopefully.

Lots of good videos online, and Dillon has awesome tech support.

Thoughts (based on my own usage):
Set the tension on the shell plate carefully - and be sure to loosen/tighten the set screw that runs horizontally against that shell plate bolt.
Make sure you put the safety rod to the powder dispenser in correctly. It goes in from the left.
Check the nuts on your dies occasionally - if the die backs out slowly, all kinds of fun things happen depending upon which die it is.
Make sure that the powder dispenser drops down all the way over its die.

When you're loading, go slow and smooth, (as you get used to it go faster but stay smooth). Jolting it will spill powder.
You can FEEL that primer seating. If you don't, then stop and look at it.
De-capping a .380 will feel different than a 9mm; if it feels different - stop and look.
Do NOT force the down stroke, you'll quite possibly break the plastic ring underneath.

If you do break that ring - a piece of dental floss is helpful in putting the spring on on the new one.
Speaking of which - get the spare parts kit. If you break something, you can replace it - and Dillon will send you another one no charge. With the spare parts kit in hand, you're not waiting for the spare part to arrive.

If you don't already have one, get a gauge checker. I like ECW's.

UFO makes a really nice light for the press. I put a switched outlet into the housing of my casefeeder and plug the light in there.

The XL650 is my first press. It was a gift from my wife, chosen by her without any input by me - it was a surprise gift. I really like it - and now that I've been using it for a couple of years, I can start to compare it to others - it stacks up favorably.

obviously trust your own research the most. is 2400 a ball powder? i'm not familiar but via gun shop folklore i learned that truthfully magnum primers help with ball powders. (although there's still some blue dot flying out in one of my 357mag recipes).

If its not the powder and you're sure of it, try a different batch of primers. or test that batch of primers in another caliber.
It's a stick powder.

Not "in" the reloading room, but "for" the reloading room.

I saw firsthand the other day that firearms and primers are pretty short in supply, (went into Savannah to drop some lowers off to be coated and swung by a couple of gun shops). So, I went shopping online yesterday.

Every single one of the suppliers from whom I've previously purchased small pistol primers were out of stock.
Every single one.

I finally found one and ordered 5K of CCI small pistol primers. That's a case, and I tried to order two - they refused, limit of one per day. Went back this morning to order another case - they're now out of stock on all small pistol primers.

While I was at it, I ordered 4K of 124grn plated 9mm bullets. Got those from one of my normal suppliers.

Just to forestall the anticipated "you should have done that months ago" - I have decent stocks of powder, bullets and primers - I'm just looking down the road and making sure I have enough. Right now, I have about a year's worth of loaded 9mm, and enough components to load at least four more months worth. That's before yesterday's orders.

I've heard local shooters saying that they're not competing in matches because they don't have enough ammo on hand. I don't want to have to say that in a year or two...

Not "in" the reloading room, but "for" the reloading room.

I saw firsthand the other day that firearms and primers are pretty short in supply, (went into Savannah to drop some lowers off to be coated and swung by a couple of gun shops). So, I went shopping online yesterday.

Every single one of the suppliers from whom I've previously purchased small pistol primers were out of stock.
Every single one.

I finally found one and ordered 5K of CCI small pistol primers. That's a case, and I tried to order two - they refused, limit of one per day. Went back this morning to order another case - they're now out of stock on all small pistol primers.

While I was at it, I ordered 4K of 124grn plated 9mm bullets. Got those from one of my normal suppliers.

Just to forestall the anticipated "you should have done that months ago" - I have decent stocks of powder, bullets and primers - I'm just looking down the road and making sure I have enough. Right now, I have about a year's worth of loaded 9mm, and enough components to load at least four more months worth. That's before yesterday's orders.

I've heard local shooters saying that they're not competing in matches because they don't have enough ammo on hand. I don't want to have to say that in a year or two...

try getting your first LTC in hand 3 weeks after Newtown (had FID forever before that). First pistol rounds i ever shot were my hand loads because i couldn't find anything. had it beat in to me early that there's no such thing as too much for components.

Nice!! Glad to see Cabelas is still getting components. I'm good on primers but I wonder if there are limits or could you buy all 12k?
@MC56
No idea on limits but that was the shelf AFTER I took my 10k primers..

Still no powder.

The lady said they just got a truck in this morning so that's probably why there was actually components. She said they get random trucks and have no clue what's on them until they unload it.

No idea on limits but that was the shelf AFTER I took my 10k primers..

Still no powder.

The lady said they just got a truck in this morning so that's probably why there was actually components. She said they get random trucks and have no clue what's on them until they unload it.
Good man! No shit they had 22k primers. Well that's good news. All CCI huh?

Back
Top Bottom