• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Had a Doctors appointment today, you know I’m getting to that age where I might need the blue pills. He was right!! So I went downstairs to my reloading pharmacy and filled up my prescription, should get me a few hours of fun at the range tomorrow.

Attachments

• 6A177DAB-AA3D-4A54-A5F3-D567FAFA9453.jpeg
    6A177DAB-AA3D-4A54-A5F3-D567FAFA9453.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 148F3697-17DF-4815-BAC5-36B9AE4EFBFF.jpeg
    148F3697-17DF-4815-BAC5-36B9AE4EFBFF.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 28
Built a new 8’ reloading bench.
I swear the lumber cost me double what it did when I built the same style bench 4 or so years ago.
Now I’m trying to organize everything and give all the random items a new home. I do need to build another shelf underneath it for extra storage.

I think I’ll finally be able to mount all of my presses.

Built a new 8’ reloading bench.
I swear the lumber cost me double what it did when I built the same style bench 4 or so years ago.
Now I’m trying to organize everything and give all the random items a new home. I do need to build another shelf underneath it for extra storage.

I think I’ll finally be able to mount all of my presses.

yeah.. I looked at building some new 2x4 benches for my club... went on to the big box stores to see prices.. expecting $2-$3 for a 2x4x8 and see that they're close to $6 each.. 😲

yeah.. I looked at building some new 2x4 benches for my club... went on to the big box stores to see prices.. expecting $2-$3 for a 2x4x8 and see that they're close to $6 each.. 😲
Absolutely insane. HomeDespot was over $6 a pop for their “premium” which means it’s only warped in 1 dimension.
It’s worth it though. I’ve been putting it off too long. Got to put the new Dewalt brushless drill and impact driver to use. Played around with the Kreg jig. Had my son helping. It was a good day.

My plated 147 gr powerbond bullets arrived this afternoon. Ordered Tuesday. Not as cheap as my blue bullets but arriving in less than a week is tough to beat right now. Been awhile since I loaded plated bullets in 9mm. I’ve got some Power Pistol that I’d like to burn up so I’ll probably use that powder. Save the N320 and Sport Pistol for comp loads.
View attachment 389260
Made up 20 rounds yesterday to try out in the CZ's and the wife's Sig P365. Ran fine in both guns but definitely warmer than my 147 gr loads with N320 powder [laugh] . Power Pistol has some bark. First time using a slower burning powder in 9mm. Literally all I've ever used in 9mm was titegroup, bullseye, 231, and N320.

I might actually dial it down .1 or .2 grains (was using 4.5 gr which is the minimum charge weight). I mainly bought these bullets for my wife and when I take friends/family to the range as I don't want to burn up my match ammo...

I also picked up like 400-500 pieces of 9mm brass at the range yesterday. I felt so guilty leaving all my 9mm brass from a couple weekends ago especially with my brass stockpile dwindling...Tumbled those along with some 357 mag brass last night.

Last edited:
I also picked up like 400-500 pieces of 9mm brass at the range yesterday. I felt so guilty leaving all my 9mm brass from a couple weekends ago especially with my brass stockpile dwindling...Tumbled those along with some 357 mag brass last night.

I guess membership has its privileges! It's like finding gold nuggets on top of the ground when others leave behind perfectly reusable brass. Good for you.

My backyard range doesn't get much action, but by me, so my brass count doesn't go up at all.
I think I'm on my tenth or twelfth reload on the same thirty cases (I don't shoot a lot and don't want to open any new boxes of reloads at this time.)

I guess membership has its privileges! It's like finding gold nuggets on top of the ground when others leave behind perfectly reusable brass. Good for you.
Yup. I had been buying brass for like $30 per 1k but now it's jumped up to almost a nickel a case and out of stock. I'm going to stop being lazy about picking up my brass. Well, except at matches - I just want to get in the car and head home after shooting the match and helping to break down the stages.

I hear you! Some matches don't always accommodate brass recovery, so get it elsewhere while you can, I suppose.

Midstate Gun Co. in Coventry, RI offers range brass for reasonable, but I imagine their prices have seen some increases since my last visit. They don't allow reloads in their range, so most of their product is virtually guaranteed to be o-f factory brass. Although not likely in abundance, it might be about the only place locally to get o-f boxer-primed 7.62x39mm and 7.62x54mmR brass.

I'm fairly new to reloading, but prior to starting up I'd probably pick up at least 200 9mm cases at the club I belong to, along with the 300+ I'd shoot and put them all in the brass bucket.

Figures, now that I reload, the members have become responsible and pick up after themselves! Or they're starting to reload too.

Made up 20 rounds yesterday to try out in the CZ's and the wife's Sig P365. Ran fine in both guns but definitely warmer than my 147 gr loads with N320 powder [laugh] . Power Pistol has some bark. First time using a slower burning powder in 9mm. Literally all I've ever used in 9mm was titegroup, bullseye, 231, and N320.

I might actually dial it down .1 or .2 grains (was using 4.5 gr which is the minimum charge weight). I mainly bought these bullets for my wife and when I take friends/family to the range as I don't want to burn up my match ammo...

Love it when a plan comes together. I had just enough Power Pistol left to load all 1k powerbond bullets and 10 blue bullets. Perfect!😂
D2AAF49D-38FA-4CEA-93B3-99208B604841.jpeg

Love it when a plan comes together. I had just enough Power Pistol left to load all 1k powerbond bullets and 10 blue bullets. Perfect!😂
View attachment 390486
That rarely happens for me. I always seem to have like 100 grains of powder left over.
Or 99 finished cartridges and a mental battle or leaving it at 99 and taking the extra primer out of a sleeve knowing that the next batch will only have 99 in it 😫
I try to keep one of the random orphan sleeves of primers on the bench to fill in that last spot in the mtm box 😀

That rarely happens for me. I always seem to have like 100 grains of powder left over.
Or 99 finished cartridges and a mental battle or leaving it at 99 and taking the extra primer out of a sleeve knowing that the next batch will only have 99 in it 😫
I try to keep one of the random orphan sleeves of primers on the bench to fill in that last spot in the mtm box 😀
Yeah I had some leftover primers in the tray since the Fiocchi primers are 150 per tray. Ah well 😂

I reloaded a bunch of test loads with Alliant BE 86 before deciding on a recipe. When I made them up, it came to exactly 1,100 rounds in the ammo can. The OCD had me sweating as it got close, as I knew if I had just enough powder to make three or four more rounds I was tossing it! 🤣

Last edited:
Sized,trimmed & primed a mess of 30/06. Started swaging a bunch of 5.56 and found a jug of >1,000 more that I thought I had swaged a couple years ago. Nope. Just tumbled. Started
swaging those. Goes pretty fast with a spring tossing the swaged into a cloth. They fall into a pan. Had enough for today... IMG_2602.JPG IMG_2604.JPG IMG_2605.JPG IMG_2606.JPG IMG_2607.JPG IMG_2608.JPG

Last edited:
I wanted to smelt some pure lead I had scored a couple weeks back.
Decided to alloy it up. Well I added more Lino and pewter than I wanted to thinking I wanted to make mock wheel weight alloy. so I had to toss a 57# lead pig in there to get it back down to the original planned 50/50 alloy.

Ended up with about 240 pounds (calculated) of alloy ready to go.
About 13,500 of those unobtainable 125 grain 9mm bullets everyone keeps taking about.

9A3F5AD3-B482-4FF4-999C-08F6323331D0.jpeg

I wanted to smelt some pure lead I had scored a couple weeks back.
Decided to alloy it up. Well I added more Lino and pewter than I wanted to thinking I wanted to make mock wheel weight alloy. so I had to toss a 57# lead pig in there to get it back down to the original planned 50/50 alloy.

Ended up with about 240 pounds (calculated) of alloy ready to go.
About 13,500 of those unobtainable 125 grain 9mm bullets everyone keeps taking about.

View attachment 390580
Very convenient to cast your own now with the shipping delays from many bullet companies. Always was convenient but even moreso now.

i don't miss casting, sorry guys. [laugh] i quit 30+ years ago. i'd run production every weekend in the winter months. believe it or not, i'm still loading stuff i cast when i was 30 years old, man a lot of water under that bridge, i'm a damn old man now. i just cracked open the last container of my 240 gr gas checked swc 44 mag, maybe ~400 pieces. @Michael J. Spangler helped me out, last year was it, by sizing the last bunch of 38/357's swc's and wc's for me, maybe a few hundred. thanks again mr. spangler. with todays back ups and shortages i'm damn glad to have 'em!

i don't miss casting, sorry guys. [laugh] i quit 30+ years ago. i'd run production every weekend in the winter months. believe it or not, i'm still loading stuff i cast when i was 30 years old, man a lot of water under that bridge, i'm a damn old man now. i just cracked open the last container of my 240 gr gas checked swc 44 mag, maybe ~400 pieces. @Michael J. Spangler helped me out, last year was it, by sizing the last bunch of 38/357's swc's and wc's for me, maybe a few hundred. thanks again mr. spangler. with todays back ups and shortages i'm damn glad to have 'em!
Happy to help man!
I hope some day to get that far ahead!

Back
Top Bottom