What did you do in the reloading room recently?

- 25 rounds of 6.5x55 loaded, first time using Reloder 19
- 30 rounds loaded for the M1917
- 25 rounds loaded for M1
- 35 additional 30-06 cases prepped

Tumbler given its annual cleaning.
Given the prices and availability these days, considering getting back into loading 9mm, albeit on the single stage.
Are you using RL19 for the 06 too?
I just realized im almost out of H4895!

Given the prices and availability these days, considering getting back into loading 9mm, albeit on the single stage.

I load 9mm mainly because I like making somewhat tame rounds for Walls of Steel/ Steel Challenge. I don't use 9mm for any competition where power factor is a thing so I don't worry about that. Plus I pick up so much discarded brass at either of the clubs I belong to, I don't even factor in brass as cost-per-round on my 9mm loads. What sucks is the current shortages/ prices that are going to screw us all up for quite some time. If I don't buy any primers/bullets/powder at all until this insanity is over, I can probably still shoot my usual matches until next Spring but who knows how long this bullshit will last.

- 25 rounds of 6.5x55 loaded, first time using Reloder 19
- 30 rounds loaded for the M1917
- 25 rounds loaded for M1
- 35 additional 30-06 cases prepped

Tumbler given its annual cleaning.
Funny you mention that, I cleaned my tumbler on Saturday for the first time in over a year. There was a thick black “ring” of crud bonded to the inside of the bowl. Had to scrape it off with a screwdriver 😂

Funny you mention that, I cleaned my tumbler on Saturday for the first time in over a year. There was a thick black “ring” of crud bonded to the inside of the bowl. Had to scrape it off with a screwdriver 😂

I wonder what the ring is. I've never cleaned my current tumbler for almost 3 yrs and the bowl is as clean as new. I've put thousands of cases through it too. I do have two medias I use. One is some spent corn cob media that I use to remove case lube, and the other is the corn cob media I use to clean cases. When I consider the latter to be spent, or not as effective, it becomes the "new" case lube remover media.

I wonder what the ring is. I've never cleaned my current tumbler for almost 3 yrs and the bowl is as clean as new. I've put thousands of cases through it too. I do have two medias I use. One is some spent corn cob media that I use to remove case lube, and the other is the corn cob media I use to clean cases. When I consider the latter to be spent, or not as effective, it becomes the "new" case lube remover media.
I have no idea. It was really bizarre because it was a ~1.5 inch wide ring that was about halfway up the side of the bowl. I also use corn cob media. I'm wondering if its from the polishing compound?? I do add a few drops of polish every time I tumble.

That was my telltale sign. Some of the tumbled 06 had kind of dirty necks. The media line and below was all black/gray. I use the hose, a brass brush, and a lot of elbow grease to scrub off all the adhered junk, takes around 20 minutes of scrubbing and stuff. I do it every 12-18 months, and then dump the old media at that time and swap in some fresh stuff.

I use about 75% corn cob, 25% rice and add two cut up dryer sheets each tumbling. I also tumble my brass much shorter than most here, 60-90 mins compared to some people who say they tumble for like four hours.

I load 9mm mainly because I like making somewhat tame rounds for Walls of Steel/ Steel Challenge. I don't use 9mm for any competition where power factor is a thing so I don't worry about that. Plus I pick up so much discarded brass at either of the clubs I belong to, I don't even factor in brass as cost-per-round on my 9mm loads. What sucks is the current shortages/ prices that are going to screw us all up for quite some time. If I don't buy any primers/bullets/powder at all until this insanity is over, I can probably still shoot my usual matches until next Spring but who knows how long this bullshit will last.
I have five or six thousand small pistol primers, I might try to trade for rifle primers since I reload way more rifle than pistol, mainly since I'm still using a single stage and weighing out 3.5 grains of powder for a 9mm round gets very tiresome. I do load a good amount of 38spl and I also load Makarov, due to good cost savings.

I'm sitting on about 1200 9mm projectiles, so I figured I could stretch my factory loads out.

But yeah, I like light powered 9mm for range fun as well.

anyone remember the "good ole days?"

these blue bullet folks operate with a rocket up their behind. this gotta be one of the quickest orders i've seen processed & shipped...ever. 45 minutes after placing the order i got the shipping label created email. less than 2 hours later it left the building. damn, if i ordered thursday, it'd be here today. now i got to wait until monday. [crying]

Same here. And I'm using Titegroup for all the pistol rounds I load:
.38spl
9x18
9x19
.45acp
.45Colt
I debated 380 but I only own one 380 for pocket carry so getting dies and bullets seemed like a waste since I don't shoot it much.
I do plan to do 45acp when/if I buy a 45. Haven't crossed that line yet. I'd probably do the same with 10mm if I ever acquire one.
Once the evil rifle collection is completed shortly (or at least to a level where I will feel at peace pre-election), I'll think about adding a 1911, S&W 645, or Delta Elite to get into 45/10mm.

I'll think about adding a 1911, S&W 645, or Delta Elite to get into 45/10mm.

Not sure if its in production yet, but have a go at this beauty-

So word on the street is, its an option through CZ custom to send in a 97B and they'll convert it, which would be the less costly option.
Not sure what the cost is for that. Aside from a barrel and barrel bushing, there is some machine work that has to be done to accommodate the ambi safety.
Regular 97B is comes through as wrong handed.
I can say, the 97B runs like a dream with .45acp. It was like shooting a 9. It almost felt like cheating. Almost.

So word on the street is, its an option through CZ custom to send in a 97B and they'll convert it, which would be the less costly option.
Not sure what the cost is for that. Aside from a barrel and barrel bushing, there is some machine work that has to be done to accommodate the ambi safety.
Regular 97B is comes through as wrong handed.
I can say, the 97B runs like a dream with .45acp. It was like shooting a 9. It almost felt like cheating. Almost.
That's encouraging. My Shadow 2 is my all-around favorite pistol, so that sounds promising.

I have no idea. It was really bizarre because it was a ~1.5 inch wide ring that was about halfway up the side of the bowl. I also use corn cob media. I'm wondering if its from the polishing compound?? I do add a few drops of polish every time I tumble.

I add NuFinish (free pour about a cap full) every 3rd or 4th tumble. I also put in a dryer sheet cut into 4 squares each tumble. If I remember it's on, I usually tumble for ~1.5 hrs.

I debated 380 but I only own one 380 for pocket carry so getting dies and bullets seemed like a waste since I don't shoot it much.

Loading .380 is kinda annoying with how small the cases and bullets are. I've been saving all my .32acp/ 7.65mm brass too, in case I ever get into reloading that puny caliber. ( I have a pre-WWI Colt pocket hammerless and a WWII Mauser HSc I enjoy shooting) I imagine loading up those little bastards is even more annoying than .380! ;)

They are, but let's do some .25 ACPs while we're at it!

Hold on, if you want to reload .380 Auto and you already reload .223 Remington and 9x19mm, you're all set.
Size/decap with the .223 Remington and finish with the 9x19mm dies. You can simply run any flared cases back through the .223 Remington just to touch the case mouth to restore the flare.
I've done all of my .380s this way.

They are, but let's do some .25 ACPs while we're at it!

Hold on, if you want to reload .380 Auto and you already reload .223 Remington and 9x19mm, you're all set.
Size/decap with the .223 Remington and finish with the 9x19mm dies. You can simply run any flared cases back through the .223 Remington just to touch the case mouth to restore the flare.
I've done all of my .380s this way.
never heard of this but you're never too old to learn! i haven't reloaded .380 in decades and then it was for a friend. he bought the die set and off we went. never had a complaint and for whatever reason, one of the easiest rounds to belt out i've ever encountered. we used lrn, never jacketed...don't know why really???? one of those things.

I've actually got a mixed .380/.38 S&W Auto die set, but the sizer die (38 S&W Auto) is not appropriate for the .380 Auto. It doesn't size the brass down to provide any grip. The .380 Auto and .223 Remington use the same shell holder and the base dimensions are similar enough to size the .380 brass. The seater and expander are actually marked .380 Auto, but a 9x19mm die set will suffice for those two functions. Use any seater die that has a reasonably similar top punch.

Here's another freebie. If you reload .30 Carbine, help yourself and reload 7.62x38R Nagant.
Fashion a top punch (use your imagination) to seat the bullet below the case mouth and then use your .223 Remington, .243 Winchester, any die that will crimp the case mouth adequately to allow the case to chamber into the forcing cone to provide the gas seal.
No need to sacrifice the gas seal by using shortened brass. No, no, no!

S0Tu26T.jpg

Last edited:
Well, these came in this morning, still waiting on the 26 steel mags.
View attachment 394216

These fit and function flawlessly. UTG 30rd window mags.

I'm interested how these seat in your rifles. I've seen a bunch of complaints they don't seat firmly and/or drop out too easily if you lightly tap (not press) the mag button. Also seen a few double feed claims at bottom of mag.

I would definitely by some if they are anywhere near as reliable as the windowed PMAGs which are $25 each instead of $10each

Back
Top Bottom