What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Be very careful.
F.C.D's and lead don't mix. I believe it even says so in the instructions that come with it.
This is where you use calipers to measure the case mouth after the fact, because it will undersize the lead like in that pic you posted a few weeks back.
I have a couple FCD already so I'll take a look at the instructions on those. Thanks for the heads up. I've always done my 9mm on the SDB so I've never had this problem.

I have a couple FCD already so I'll take a look at the instructions on those. Thanks for the heads up. I've always done my 9mm on the SDB so I've never had this problem.

I think the s.d.b dies are designed in a way to specifically accommodate and jacketed lead. I think the only moving parts in the s.d.b. dies are the stem you can flip for round or flatnose. So its a matter of backing that dies out a touch for lead.

The f.c.d. has a little bit more to it inside, so theres a little bit more to it when you adjust for lead. It can be painful on straight wall cases and lead. Roll crimping lead will undersize, but thats not the situation here so thats a bonus.
With 9 you want bullet daim + case thickness which puts case mouth dia at..........................382? .383? (take book spec and add X)
If case mouth dia is close to base dia, then it'll resize the heads.
They do work well with jacketed.

I think the s.d.b dies are designed in a way to specifically accommodate and jacketed lead. I think the only moving parts in the s.d.b. dies are the stem you can flip for round or flatnose. So its a matter of backing that dies out a touch for lead.

The f.c.d. has a little bit more to it inside, so theres a little bit more to it when you adjust for lead. It can be painful on straight wall cases and lead. Roll crimping lead will undersize, but thats not the situation here so thats a bonus.
With 9 you want bullet daim + case thickness which puts case mouth dia at..........................382? .383? (take book spec and add X)
If case mouth dia is close to base dia, then it'll resize the heads.
They do work well with jacketed.
Another small problem with plain lead and crimping or removing the bell is case wall thickness and case length. So when mixing different head stamps you can add to some of the problems

F.C.D's and lead don't mix. I believe it even says so in the instructions that come with it.

Like I said before, I'm not really sold on the Lee FCD's taper crimp form in any context, but let me come to the defense of the Lee FCD in its roll crimp form.

The caution in the instruction sheet is referring to excessively oversized lead bullets. Prior to that, they seem to be claiming that, with the roll crimp versions, you don't need a crimp groove because it will essentially create one without complications (buckling the case or loss of neck tension). That might work on jacketed bullets, but I think they're talking mainly about cast (and plated). Personally I've used the roll crimp dies on generically-sized lead bullets (nominal bullet diameter+0.001"), when the carbide size ring isn't doing anything, and that works fine. Where I start to worry, and think I have some kind of problem to solve, is if the resizing ring is even making contact with anything farther down than the flared lip of the case, if that. I don't worry about light contact in one out of, say, every half dozen rounds, but if it needs to be forced through like it's a resizing die (or worse), then I don't use the FCD, switch to crimping with the seater die, and (as always but especially in this case) test the rounds in the cartridge gauge.

Just sorted a bunch of 9x17mm and 9x19mm brass.
Most of the 9x19mm was Buffalo brand. That's pricey stuff, isn't it? I guess some just have plenty of dough to buy/shoot premium ammo.
I doubt that their brass is anything unique, but it's all sorted now. Usually, I don't segregate by head stamp, but what better to do on a dreary day like today.
Any idea who makes Buffalo brass?
On another matter, has anyone reloaded and shot the "visual glow" bullets that AR has been offering? I know they work well in .45 Auto under subdued lighting, but I've yet to see them glow when fired in 10mm. They glow on the bench, but perhaps I need to use a faster powder in 10mm to reduce muzzle blast...?
Sorry, haven't purchased any in 9mm/.380

Just sorted a bunch of 9x17mm and 9x19mm brass.
Most of the 9x19mm was Buffalo brand. That's pricey stuff, isn't it? I guess some just have plenty of dough to buy/shoot premium ammo.
I doubt that their brass is anything unique, but it's all sorted now. Usually, I don't segregate by head stamp, but what better to do on a dreary day like today.
Any idea who makes Buffalo brass?
On another matter, has anyone reloaded and shot the "visual glow" bullets that AR has been offering? I know they work well in .45 Auto under subdued lighting, but I've yet to see them glow when fired in 10mm. They glow on the bench, but perhaps I need to use a faster powder in 10mm to reduce muzzle blast...?
Sorry, haven't purchased any in 9mm/.380
IIRC buffalo brass is made by starline?

About 250 45ACP with one demon spawn small primer case im the mix

Running low on bullets so I need to get my pot that I left behind during the casting seminar.
But I think I need to show up with a couple of PID controllers to do that so off to the basement - I have a couple of ATX cases that were work holding failures bit are functional so I might put together two units this weekend to test out with a higher power pot than the Lee

Inherited some more stuff today. The powder cans are all full, not clumped and smell normal. I'm gonna reload most of this into training ammo and I'll refurb the press.

View attachment 405757View attachment 405758View attachment 405759View attachment 405760View attachment 405761View attachment 405762View attachment 405763
Nice, friend of mine re finished a old lyman press. His dad polished the ram (heavily pitted)
Sent it out for a added nitrate finish. His dad then installed ram bushing s into the press body.
Retired machinist. Looks nice and loads well. I have to see if he has pictures.

Picked up an old Lyman Spartan single stage about 2 years ago from a fellow NESer for sizing and depriming. Didn't have a primer catch, would just put a large beach towel under the bench to catch primers. Ordered and rcvd a 3D printed primer catch from a guy on ebay for $14. No more chasing primers. Wish I had a 3D printer for things like this.
20201031_155839.jpg20201031_160114.jpg

I'm working on a mild load for the trapdoor. 10.5 grains of Trailboss and Norm Purcella's 350 grain coated gas check bullet is very mild and accurate. It hits dead on at 100 yards. I need to check the velocity and try to duplicate it with SR4759.

Back
Top Bottom