What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Same here. Well I use my guns barrel to check a “few” here and there. Mainly when using new bullets for the first time.

Has served me well so far.
I use the barrel of my G34 as a "gauge" when setting up a new projectile for the first time. Once it's set up and i'm pumping out rounds I just use a regular gauge. I've found very few outright rejects. Anything borderline went into the practice bin and still got shot.

Last edited:
I hate 380 shells. They are the bane of 9mm reloading.

I have a loaded round on my "wall of shame" shelf above my reloading setup, that is a primed .380 case loaded with a 115 9mm and 4.3gr Titegroup. I have no idea how I missed that. I must have been very tired. There's a few other anomalies on the wall of shame but that is one of my favorites.

I do reload .380 to shoot through the G42, Russian commercial Makarov and Ruger LCP.

made another 250+ cast and hi-tek coated 9mm 125gr. I don't really bother to count anymore. Just keep filling the bucket. Is that a good thing?
That’s an awesome thing that the non caster and especially non reloaders can’t enjoy right now.
That’s why I tell people that casting will change your life. People are struggling to find ammo and even projectiles and you’re casually stacking them deep most likely faster than you can shoot them.
There’s an awesome feeling to self sufficiency isn’t there?

... a primed .380 case loaded with a 115 9mm and 4.3gr Titegroup...

Nothing to be ashamed of. Maybe a bit careless as you were reloading 9x19mm, of course. Probably a bit over-powered if fired in a .380 pistol.
FWIW, I've loaded the Lee 356-120 TC bullet (mine drop closer to 130gr) in .380 Auto intentionally. They are heavier than typical 9x17mm loads, but they run just fine. Pictured are 9x19mm, but I have reloaded/fired the same bullet in .380 Auto, too

Attachments

• 130grLTC(e).jpg
    130grLTC(e).jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 12
Nothing to be ashamed of. Maybe a bit careless as you were reloading 9x19mm, of course. Probably a bit over-powered if fired in a .380 pistol.
FWIW, I've loaded the Lee 356-120 TC bullet (mine drop closer to 130gr) in .380 Auto intentionally. They are heavier than typical 9x17mm loads, but they run just fine. Pictured are 9x19mm, but I have reloaded/fired the same bullet in .380 Auto, too
Definitely a bit overpowered since a 95gr bullet on 3.0gr of titegroup is my usual .380 load.

made another 250+ cast and hi-tek coated 9mm 125gr. I don't really bother to count anymore. Just keep filling the bucket. Is that a good thing?
Why count? We waste enough time.
My counting system simple
See how many primer sleeves are in the trash bin or when im shaking the last 1000 grains or so of powder from a jug.
Only time I count is just to make sure I have enough for the match.
Even still thats the fist full method of counting

All this talk about pistol reloading , coated this plated that has had a slight pull on me
So will be casting up some 185gn SWC over clays and some 2500 lube
Good old smokey rounds.
Have some vintage 1958 25 and 50 yard service pistol targets to use up.
After 60s the paper is getting a little frail.

The first 10 shotshells loaded by me. Crimp ranges from "pretty good" to pinhole in the center (shot is visible). I tweaked a little but still getting a feel for the adjustments of the MEC 600jr. What do you guys think ? Any suggestions ? Remington gun club hulls with claybuster (waa12 equiv) wads. 1 1/8 of number 9 shot over RedDot.

View attachment 410702View attachment 410703

Shout out to @mac1911 for hooking me up with some hulls to feed my new reloading habit.

I really need to clean my reloading room. After that, I'm going to be reloading .223 en masse for the first time. I've reloaded .223 for years but always for service rifle matches in 120 round batches.

I'm setting up my extra Dillon 650 for case prep. Then will probably reload on my 550. Or maybe switch the 650 back to use for reloading .223. The case feeder and shell plate are the same. So its just swap out the toolhead. But then I'll ahve to reinstall the primer system and remove the swage-it.

Thoughts?

I've seen brass sorters any number of times, and considered buying a set.
Finally broke down and bought them. Standard set of 3 plus the metal insert that lets .380 through while leaving 9mm. [dance]

Sorted through a bucket of what I thought was 9mm; came up with what you see in the box as rejects, (mostly 40's); plus half a dozen or so .380's.

Slightly tedious, but a lot better than fishing them out of my loading press.

IMG_1758.JPG

You nailed it. Its a pain in the butt, but better than pulling the 40s out of the machine.

I picked up "only 9mm" at the range last week. Icleaned them and started reloading and the 5 that slipped through took a minute plus to clear from the case feeder. I was reminded why I run everything through that sorter.

Finished prepping over 350 357 Magnum mixed brass cases from a fellow NES'r. Thanks Lee. The trimming portion was a pain in the azz.
View attachment 412926
Sppff, you do what, trim pistol brass....it shrinks dude...
I know many dont trim there brass , i do especially brass that roll crimps into some of these small crimp grooves.
i trim to max length though , it does take several/many reloads if ever again to need trimming again. I like to at least have a consistent length.
I load more 38/357 than anything else in pistol

Sppff, you do what, trim pistol brass....it shrinks dude...
I know many dont trim there brass , i do especially brass that roll crimps into some of these small crimp grooves.
i trim to max length though , it does take several/many reloads if ever again to need trimming again. I like to at least have a consistent length.
I load more 38/357 than anything else in pistol
This is new to me brass so I trimmed to bring them all to the same length - 1.280 thousands. Some of the cases were over max length after I resized them.

Finished prepping over 350 357 Magnum mixed brass cases from a fellow NES'r. Thanks Lee. The trimming portion was a pain in the azz.
View attachment 412926
Dang. I’ve never trimmed my 357 brass. The few times I measured them they were within spec.
But kudos to you sir, for having the patience.

Dang. I’ve never trimmed my 357 brass. The few times I measured them they were within spec.
But kudos to you sir, for having the patience.

I've never trimmed a straight walled pistol case either. It may be unnecessary. But if you are going for ultimate accuracy, it certainly couldn't hurt.

No. I didn't trim and then resize. That's like wiping your ass before you take a crap.

That's hysterical.

I've never trimmed a straight walled pistol case either. It may be unnecessary. But if you are going for ultimate accuracy, it certainly couldn't hurt.
I was getting 1.5-2" groups at 100 yards with my scoped Dan Wesson using 158 gr JHPs/JSPs over 2400 powder and mixed untrimmed brass lol. Could I get 1/2" groups if I used trimmed brass?? Doubtful. I think if I had a good ransom rest those groups would shrink even more. Sadly that gun is toast and I'm awaiting a replacement from DW. Fingers crossed the new one will shoot just as well...

This is new to me brass so I trimmed to bring them all to the same length - 1.280 thousands. Some of the cases were over max length after I resized them.

Hmm. How could they be over max length AFTER you resize them? You adjust the cutter to give you the length you desire. Hmm.

Back
Top Bottom