What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Finished 1000 each of .45 acp and 9mm on the turret press over the past few days. The occasional .380 that slips in with the 9's from range pickups are a PITA. I just ordered a .380 plate for my shell sorter (this is when I wish I knew 3D printing). Now if they could come up with a way to sort the different size primer .45 acp.

BTW, I really like the Inline Fabrication case ejector and Lee safety prime that I added to the press. I am loading pistol and .223 cartridges in a fraction of the time it used to take.

Finished 1000 each of .45 acp and 9mm on the turret press over the past few days. The occasional .380 that slips in with the 9's from range pickups are a PITA. I just ordered a .380 plate for my shell sorter (this is when I wish I knew 3D printing). Now if they could come up with a way to sort the different size primer .45 acp.

BTW, I really like the Inline Fabrication case ejector and Lee safety prime that I added to the press. I am loading pistol and .223 cartridges in a fraction of the time it used to take.

That .380 plate for the shell sorter is expensive, but worth it. I just bought the shell sorters a couple of weeks ago, and really like them. Makes sorting the brass go so much faster, plus has the benefit of shaking off a lot of the dirt before I tumble it.

That .380 plate for the shell sorter is expensive, but worth it.
Got the .380 plate yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to see it was metal vs. plastic. Already put it to use, and it appears to work well. Some day I will have to put the .380 brass up for a karma since I doubt I will ever use it. Same for the 40 S&W.

Holy handload Batman...... Scored some 357 xtps frrom my regular online source. Merry CHRISTMAS to me..... My favorite grain on top of it...... 19 cents each. Ho Ho Ho Stash
Nice!
If you ever want a cheaper source for 357 mag 125 or 158 gr JHPs, PM me. I pay about 10.8 cents for 158 gr JHPs and 10 cents for 125 gr JHPs. This company also has 110 grainers for 9.8 cents.

Nice!
If you ever want a cheaper source for 357 mag 125 or 158 gr JHPs, PM me. I pay about 10.8 cents for 158 gr JHPs and 10 cents for 125 gr JHPs. This company also has 110 grainers for 9.8 cents.

Like most bulk bullet sources, they've been hammered by unrelenting demand for months. If you can order something, it's a forward-looking thing, but they're real good about not charging you until they ship. I got irritated at Grabagun last week because I ordered a scope from them, they charged me right away, and then they told me a week later that they were issuing me a refund because they didn't have (which I took to mean "no longer had") the scope.

Like most bulk bullet sources, they've been hammered by unrelenting demand for months. If you can order something, it's a forward-looking thing, but they're real good about not charging you until they ship. I got irritated at Grabagun last week because I ordered a scope from them, they charged me right away, and then they told me a week later that they were issuing me a refund because they didn't have (which I took to mean "no longer had") the scope.
Yup they’re hammered for sure. But I bought 1k 158 gr JHPs not even a month ago. Took one week to arrive after ordering.

Yup they’re hammered for sure. But I bought 1k 158 gr JHPs not even a month ago. Took one week to arrive after ordering.

That's cool. It took about 3.5 weeks in late August. From what they are saying on their web site, I thought it had gotten worse, but maybe they subscribe to "under promise, over deliver". BTW, I don't know if anyone is desperate enough for jacketed 9mm bullets, but I'm thinking one could use those 125 grain HAP-style 38 special hollow points in 9mm. When I measured the ones I had, they were no closer .357 than .356, and I think the bullet design is just a thin copper jacket over a soft lead core, since it is meant for competition, not hunting or social work. I might be wrong, but I thought they probably were the same as the 9mm ones, just with a shallow cannelure pressed into them.

That's cool. It took about 3.5 weeks in late August. From what they are saying on their web site, I thought it had gotten worse, but maybe they subscribe to "under promise, over deliver". BTW, I don't know if anyone is desperate enough for jacketed 9mm bullets, but I'm thinking one could use those 125 grain HAP-style 38 special hollow points in 9mm. When I measured the ones I had, they were no closer .357 than .356, and I think the bullet design is just a thin copper jacket over a soft lead core, since it is meant for competition, not hunting or social work. I might be wrong, but I thought they probably were the same as the 9mm ones, just with a shallow cannelure pressed into them.

Jacketed 9mm bullets are available from the same vendor that I just ordered plated 9mm bullets from.
Their site shows both in stock - there is a drop down that warns that due to volume expect extended shipping times;
I'll see what that means...

1608212609293.png

Haven't reloaded anything since last winter. After putting the snowblower away this morning, finally had a chance to clear off the work bench and set up my Pacific DL266.

I normally load Red Dot for my 1 ounce target loads, and still have a bit less than a pound left, but it wasn't on the shelves nearby. I found some IMR Red, which I haven't used before but is advertised as a similar powder.

Just loaded up 25:

Remington Nitro 27 shells
Winchester 209 primer
18.3 grains Red Dot
TGT-12 wad
1 oz #7.5 lead shot

and just to see how it compared, I emptied the powder hopper and refilled it with IMR Red. With the same powder bushing that threw 18.3 grains of Red Dot, the charge bar threw 18.3 grains of IMR Red. To the tenth! So I put together another 25 shells with the same recipe but IMR Red vs Red Dot. Hodgdon site says that's a 9,100psi 1250 fps load. Will try them back to back to see if I can tell any difference.

I think I’ve got enough 44 magnum loaded to last me a few years which is a nice feeling.

I keep wanting to play with the loads and never seem to settle down on a recipe to just load in bulk. I see the value in just taking all the components and loading them up and having the ammo ready to go, especially for something like 9mm. But 44 mag seems like there are so many options for how to load it I'd feel like it would be easier to figure out which girl to marry than which load to decide on. ;)

Jacketed 9mm bullets are available from the same vendor that I just ordered plated 9mm bullets from.
Their site shows both in stock - there is a drop down that warns that due to volume expect extended shipping times;
I'll see what that means...

View attachment 424069
I have been buying from same vendor. Shipping has been around 4-5 days. Priority mail. Postal lady doesn’t like me much.

I keep wanting to play with the loads and never seem to settle down on a recipe to just load in bulk. I see the value in just taking all the components and loading them up and having the ammo ready to go, especially for something like 9mm. But 44 mag seems like there are so many options for how to load it I'd feel like it would be easier to figure out which girl to marry than which load to decide on. ;)
Yeah 44 mag is very versatile for sure. I have 180 gr and 240 gr jacketed magnum loads and then powder puff coated 240 gr SWC loads. Once the coated bullets are gone I'll load up those xtreme plated bullets.

@gerrycaruso @NavelOfficer @mac1911 Will those gas checked coated rifle bullets from Norm hold up to full power loads? I've only ever used them with trail boss and 2400. Considered using them with IMR-4064 in 30-30. My grandfather passed away over the summer and he had a nice old (1960s) Marlin 30-30 that I considered reloading for. Still need to grab some dies though...

Also has a 1950s Savage model 99 in 300 Savage. I don't think I'll reload for that since brass is a PITA to find.

I would go ahead and reload .300 Savage. Brass is around. I think there's some at my local shop; I'll inquire next time over there.
I wouldn't hesitate running Norm's coated GC bullets at maximum in .30-30 or .300 Savage.
Try a few and see how they print on paper. If they keyhole and/or don't group worth a dime, you'll have your answer.
I know plain non-GC cast bullets will run amuck when pushed too fast, but I'd think you'd be fine with the GC coated variety.
GL and let us know how they turn out, please.
You could always resort to the following...

Attachments

• .22LRSabot.jpg
    .22LRSabot.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 4
  • .30WCFDEWC.jpg
    .30WCFDEWC.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 4
I would go ahead and reload .300 Savage. Brass is around. I think there's some at my local shop; I'll inquire next time over there.
I wouldn't hesitate running Norm's coated GC bullets at maximum in .30-30 or .300 Savage.
Try a few and see how they print on paper. If they keyhole and/or don't group worth a dime, you'll have your answer.
I know plain non-GC cast bullets will run amuck when pushed too fast, but I'd think you'd be fine with the GC coated variety.
GL and let us know how they turn out, please.
You could always resort to the following...
I've got like 5 cases of 300 savage but that's it. I've picked up quite a bit of 30-30 brass so I'll probably start with that first. Good advice. Thanks for chiming in.

We'll get you more .300 Savage. I know it shows up, unwanted, at some shops.
I hope I didn't cut down the .300 Savage I had into some other caliber. I'll get back to you on that.
FWIW, there was a Remington Model 8 (or 81) chambered in .300 Savage at M&B, but it didn't stay very long.

I'd look into .308 Win. brass and see if it will form into .300 Savage. It may be a bit thick around the neck, but perhaps not. A small amount of reaming may make it work otherwise. Worth a try with a few pieces.

Last edited:
@gerrycaruso @NavelOfficer @mac1911 Will those gas checked coated rifle bullets from Norm hold up to full power loads? I've only ever used them with trail boss and 2400. Considered using them with IMR-4064 in 30-30. My grandfather passed away over the summer and he had a nice old (1960s) Marlin 30-30 that I considered reloading for. Still need to grab some dies though...

Also has a 1950s Savage model 99 in 300 Savage. I don't think I'll reload for that since brass is a PITA to find.
Im not sure if it will hold up to full powder loads or not.
Theres a rpm threshold which Im doubting coated bullets can increase that threshold
Also there is a pressure range.

in end I find do far best accuracy from cast is not in the higher level of load data.

But 44 mag seems like there are so many options for how to load it I'd feel like it would be easier to figure out which girl to marry than which load to decide on. ;)

In the beginning I expected to find a load and just manufacture it as needed, but with 44 magnum especially, I've found myself loading to the gun. There is always some weighting of the considerations of accuracy, POI, and for the model 69, comfort. Right now I have a stock of several different loads that I've loaded up in the past, using up powders and bullets that I wasn't going to restock. Once I decide on the gun I'm taking to the range that day, I know which load(s) to take.

Moving forward, however, I currently only plan to make one of two 44 magnum loads: a light 44 magnum 240 grain jacketed load for the model 69 (feels like 45 ACP) and a full-power 240 grain jacketed load for all my guns (less use in the 69, but some). The POI difference in the 69 between the full-power and comfort loads isn't severe, so I think it will work out. Heavier and lighter bullets than 240 grainers have been less than inspiring in this gun or that one, for one reason or another, except for the 210 grain Sierra HC bullets I got once for a good price. Those were great bullets, but I'm not paying retail for them.

Some of their reviews weren't good, how reliable are they?

I'm loading 124grn plated round nose over 4.0 grains of titegroup, (I THINK OAL is 1.15, but I'm upstairs and my press w/load data is in the garage).

These bullets work fine for me. I'm shooting USPSA/IDPA not bullseye. I just shot two divisions this morning with them, Production and Carry Optics in a USPSA match. No issues, (other than not taking that step forward to expose two targets... <shit> ... That's 4 Mikes and 2 FSA's - tanked that stage).

Back
Top Bottom