What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I dusted off the M1 Carbine today and shot some of my reloads I made a while back. Forgot how fun the Carbine is to shoot.

Also fired off some 357 mag that I loaded with lead free Fiocchi primers last year. Either those primers are really soft or I’m loading them really hot🤣. Most primers were pretty damn flat. But shit are they accurate.

Just cracked open the last one pound container of 2400. Not looking forward to pouring powder from the 8# jug of 2400 I have 😂

I keep a couple of empty 1# hodgdon jugs for just this purpose. I'll fill it up from an 8# jug and then work from that till its empty. If its the same type powder, leave the label on or if its different I peel off the label and put my own on it so I don't think I'm loading something else.

I keep a couple of empty 1# hodgdon jugs for just this purpose. I'll fill it up from an 8# jug and then work from that till its empty. If its the same type powder, leave the label on or if its different I peel off the label and put my own on it so I don't think I'm loading something else.
Ahh good idea. I need a 3D printed cap nozzle for the 8# jug. @pastera made me a cap for one pounders but it ended up breaking when it hit my concrete floor.
Still have his 3D printed funnel which should also help when using the 8# jug.

Ahh good idea. I need a 3D printed cap nozzle for the 8# jug. @pastera made me a cap for one pounders but it ended up breaking when it hit my concrete floor.

Oh I need some of those!

BTW, I'll take the empty jug and put it on my scale and tare it before I fill. Then I can fill it with exactly 1# and mark the 8# jug with the remaining pounds so I know where I stand.

I can print up a couple in ABS - not as brittle.

I just finished resizing 350 30 Carbine cases...got em in the tumbler now to remove the lube. Almost forgot that I had to lube the cases. I haven’t reloaded 30 Carbine in probably 5 years.

After shooting the M1 today I realized I only had ~600 rounds of 30 Carbine on hand. Got to pump those numbers up. Only got about 600 bullets left though. Then again I don’t shoot it all that often. But after ringing steel with it today I want to shoot it more😂

Just a reminder for anyone needing quality jacketed 38 cal 158 gr JSPs, Zero bullets actually has them in stock even though their website says OOS. I called this afternoon and placed an order for 2k over the phone. Just a hair over 10 cents each shipped. PM me if not familiar with the company.
They told me they took down inventory on the website so they keep up with fulfilling orders.

Finished off this old can of Hercules 2400.
The bottom of the can had some corrosion and powder bonded to the metal. Bummer I won’t be able to use that powder. Probably enough for 1 or 2 rounds😂
View attachment 437642View attachment 437643

Just cracked open the last one pound container of 2400. Not looking forward to pouring powder from the 8# jug of 2400 I have 😂
Im not sure why but 8lb jugs seem to go quicker?

I dont have that many years, but I have had heavy metal blood testing and I've never had high amounts of lead. I've picked up a lot of lead and I never use any special soaps to wash my hands. Typically I use the bottle of dish soap in the kitchen.

I think our society has really made a bunch of overreacting sissies about lead. Lead paint was literally everywhere and people weren't dropping like flies.
yeah you would think there would be more. i think a lot of the lead poisoning could be traced back to other issues vs paint or reloading.
i have lead tested on my yearly physical , Dr always says, not even in the "normal" range.
As long as your not eating it you should be fine

I just finished resizing 350 30 Carbine cases...got em in the tumbler now to remove the lube. Almost forgot that I had to lube the cases. I haven’t reloaded 30 Carbine in probably 5 years.

After shooting the M1 today I realized I only had ~600 rounds of 30 Carbine on hand. Got to pump those numbers up. Only got about 600 bullets left though. Then again I don’t shoot it all that often. But after ringing steel with it today I want to shoot it more😂
like the carbine myself.

Yeah I tumble outside as well. That media is nasty shit when it’s been used for a long time.
But yeah as for as reloading and handling bullets/brass, making sure to wash your hands afterwards is probably sufficient. My preference is just to wear a glove to add another layer of protection. When I’m at the range handling the ammo (especially 22lr) I ain’t wearing nitrile gloves 😂. I just use D Lead wipes when I’m done.
safety is always good , but my gut tells me the air your breathing around the range bench when shooting is worse than touching lead.
I do see some people wearing gloves at the range when loading their mags.
Im more worried about the crap in our food

Last edited:
Just a reminder for anyone needing quality jacketed 38 cal 158 gr JSPs, Zero bullets actually has them in stock even though their website says OOS. I called this afternoon and placed an order for 2k over the phone. Just a hair over 10 cents each shipped. PM me if not familiar with the company.
They told me they took down inventory on the website so they keep up with fulfilling orders.
They good bullets? I'm going to be in the market for a .357 lever rifle sometime soon and I'm sourcing all my components to load up some .38spl and .357. Got the brass, some primers, and working on dies (and a press), but I still need to hunt down bullets and powder.

A 158 grain JSP screaming down range sounds like a real good deer and coyote load.

They good bullets? I'm going to be in the market for a .357 lever rifle sometime soon and I'm sourcing all my components to load up some .38spl and .357. Got the brass, some primers, and working on dies (and a press), but I still need to hunt down bullets and powder.

A 158 grain JSP screaming down range sounds like a real good deer and coyote load.
Are they good? Put it this way. I got 1.5-2" groups at 100 yards with my scoped DW revolver from a rest. Get yourself some of these bullets along with 2400 powder👌🏻

And as an added bonus they are THE cheapest jacketed 357 bullet you will find.

IMHO, they are excellent for what they are, i.e. jacketed lead bullets that are not bonded or fancy. I convinced myself that I got slightly better groups out of the 158 grain JHPs than the 158 grain JSPs, so I standardized on the former, but I don't remember what guns I used to draw that conclusion, probably rifles. No idea what the terminal ballistics of the JHPs would be, though. I don't think I've ever seen anybody shoot them into ballistics gel at any speed.

i get bullet impact shift with just powder changes.
Although alox can be Smokey theres noth wrong with your loads.
How did they group, did you notice any gross deviation of bullet seating depth or anything else the lee press and your less experience might have shown from then to now?

i still love loading up cast 45s with deep lube grooves , pack those grooves with 2500 lube loadup with clays powder and see and smell all that smoke.
The grouping was tight just left. The old round crimp was too tight so i do not think the bullets were seating in the rifling properly? Probably causing the shift. Alox is great I like the smoke, pisses off the range neighbors.
The new rounds are crimped perfectly and consistently seated to the proper depth. Thats only from experience.

The grouping was tight just left. The old round crimp was too tight so i do not think the bullets were seating in the rifling properly? Probably causing the shift. Alox is great I like the smoke, pisses off the range neighbors.
The new rounds are crimped perfectly and consistently seated to the proper depth. Thats only from experience.
I came across a box of bulk 223 I loaded back in 2013, Im not sure what happened or how I did not notice but theres several crooked seated bulets.
i used them for some off hand practice and I shot my average.

Al's in Derry is right up the road from you. Check him for powder

Back
Top Bottom