What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Sweeeet. For 8 pound jugs?
For 1lb jugs - give me a day or two to model up one for 8lb jugs.
To be certain can you measure the outside diameter of your bottle mouth (cylindrical part not the threads)
I have a jug of CFE to test on but would like to know that your jug is the same.

you might want to call first to check the hours, the shop is basically attached to his house. Its not like a storefront.
Did al’s move?
Does he still have the run down sign in the front. I have not been up there since 2008 getting wads and shot from the “trailer sale”

Finished off this old can of Hercules 2400.
The bottom of the can had some corrosion and powder bonded to the metal. Bummer I won’t be able to use that powder. Probably enough for 1 or 2 rounds😂
View attachment 437642View attachment 437643

Just cracked open the last one pound container of 2400. Not looking forward to pouring powder from the 8# jug of 2400 I have 😂
Throw a match in there. Make a video.

LOL after 60 + years of handling lead .22's and couple zillion copper coated lead, I wonder how much lead I have in my body. That might damn well explain why I can't seem to lose any weight.
Probably not much. Lead is not absorbed through skin. Unless you had an open cut, your licked your fingers after touching lead, you rubbed your eyes or you breath lead dust, you should be perfectly fine.

Sorry, I didn't mean to kill your excuse to not lose weight.

For 1lb jugs - give me a day or two to model up one for 8lb jugs.
To be certain can you measure the outside diameter of your bottle mouth (cylindrical part not the threads)
I have a jug of CFE to test on but would like to know that your jug is the same.
4 1lb pouring spouts done - the ABS is a pain to clean up the print but is more flexible than the PLA (so dropping it on the floor shouldn't destroy it)

8lb spout test #3 on the printer right now - Should have been done in two but I only oversized by 0.5mm when the first print didn't quite fit (ABS shrinks a lot and the powder jug isn't quite to spec). If this one is good, I'll print more tomorrow.

@andrew1220 gets a set - others will be up for grabs (those who have helped out newbies with supplies during the shortage get priority)

Well not exactly the reloading room, but it is attached to it. I call it shop 1. Reloading room is shop 2. Anyway, i just finished up putting a DRO on my drill press. Now I dont have to pucker up when im drilling a barrel to pin a muzzle brake.

View attachment 438894View attachment 438895View attachment 438896View attachment 438897View attachment 438898View attachment 438899View attachment 438900
How is that Igaging stuff?
i see they run the coverage from cheap to expensive for some of their stuff.
Thats a cool add on , im guessing it zeros like any other digital measuring tool?
I have a old floor drill press Im trying to keep alive.
I need a new table rack which is getting to be a pain to find.

How is that Igaging stuff?
i see they run the coverage from cheap to expensive for some of their stuff.
Thats a cool add on , im guessing it zeros like any other digital measuring tool?
I have a old floor drill press Im trying to keep alive.
I need a new table rack which is getting to be a pain to find.
Cant really rate it yet. But for a little over 6o bucks, I figured id give it a shot. At least it adds a little more precision than the factory drill stop. By the way, i put it on a Harbor Freight, Central Machinery drill press. Im going to test it out on some aluminum stock first, then ive got a few muzzle brakes to do. Will report back with results......

I'll give him a call. Turns out he's four miles down the road from me. Didn't even know.
Al's is closed on Mon. and possibly Tues. Good stuff and has more than it looks like. There is a lot of stuff downstairs. He sold me my last 2 left handed rifles. There is also Shooters Outpost
off of exit 9n of rt 93, They had a decent amount of powder there ( I bought 2 lbs. of Reloader 7 over the last 4 days). loaded ammo was kinda slim, but he had .22s but you will PAY for those.

Cant really rate it yet. But for a little over 6o bucks, I figured id give it a shot. At least it adds a little more precision than the factory drill stop. By the way, i put it on a Harbor Freight, Central Machinery drill press. Im going to test it out on some aluminum stock first, then ive got a few muzzle brakes to do. Will report back with results......
I would be curious to see how much vertical slop is in that arbor/quill - im not sure if thats the proper term.
I have a small cheap bench top that has a good 1/8” of slop when you contact the work.

For those reloading bottleneck cartridges, how many of you anneal, how often, and HOW do you do it?

(.223, .308, 6.5C, & 6.5G for reference)

Never have. Seems like a big investment for little return. I have so much brass it would take me a decade of shooting tens of thousands of rounds per year to consume it all to failure.

4 1lb pouring spouts done - the ABS is a pain to clean up the print but is more flexible than the PLA (so dropping it on the floor shouldn't destroy it)

8lb spout test #3 on the printer right now - Should have been done in two but I only oversized by 0.5mm when the first print didn't quite fit (ABS shrinks a lot and the powder jug isn't quite to spec). If this one is good, I'll print more tomorrow.

@andrew1220 gets a set - others will be up for grabs (those who have helped out newbies with supplies during the shortage get priority)

I'd love to get one of each please!

If you're gonna do it, here is the Giraud. $500 plus accessories.

If you're gonna do it, here is the Giraud. $500 plus accessories.

I can buy a hell of a lot of Krag brass for that much lol

Yeah I don't shoot anything exotic, and I collect a lot of brass from training classes. So for me it just doesn't make sense. If you take a class like the Ridgeline one there's a thread about, half the people there in a 10-15 person class aren't picking up their brass. If you take the class and at the end of the day take 30min and a bucket, by the end of the multi-day class you'll have 3,000-5,000 once fired cases usually from match grade ammo like Black Hills and GMM. At $500 the course almost pays for itself if you do that and reload.

I anneal the calibers i shoot every other time i fire them.

I start off by annealing 30-06, then using a 30-06 to 8mm conversion die. Cut off the excess brass. Then FL size and trim again.

Shoot it, reload it, and then anneal it.

For 6.5 creedmoor, it has a real steep 30 degree neck so i anneal it every other as well.

No fancy tools needed. Just a bucket, a hand torch, and a basic ability to count and turn your wrist. Do it in a darker room and you will be able to see what you are doing easy.

$275 plus whatever else

Case life is one benefit.
Is getting the brass back to the same exact spec every time over 8 or 10 firings for consistent results.

If you have 5000 once fired cases and your goal is a softball sized group @ 200 yards, then case annealing is a non issue and is one extra unnecessary step.
If you have 400 once fired cases and your goal is a quarter sized group @ 200 yards, then case annealing is one of about 12 steps to get everything consistent like neck tension and length, so that every round has a certain amount of predictability.

Al's in Derry has a lot of powder, you have to ask as it is out back.
I stopped by at open today and he was able to go out back and grab me what I needed. Good stock in there. One girl came in at open and bought out his entire inventory of .223.

Al ranted about creepy uncle Joe a bit and sent me home with a reloading manual. Good guy. I like him and his shop. Its right down the road and I didn't know it was there.

I stopped by at open today and he was able to go out back and grab me what I needed. Good stock in there. One girl came in at open and bought out his entire inventory of .223.

Al ranted about creepy uncle Joe a bit and sent me home with a reloading manual. Good guy. I like him and his shop. Its right down the road and I didn't know it was there.

It is a nice little shop and I don't know if you saw the powder battery but its impressive! I always wanted to walk in to the shop with a lit cigar and start walking that way to see how quick he moves lol.

What did you get and what were the prices like @Klal

Back
Top Bottom