• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Funally got to see a v udoo, that controlled feed is pretty darn cool. Friend of friend picked one up to put in a spare chasis he had .
$1800 for a barreled action is to much for me but its a nice rifle.
I was a bit sad to see him dumping "average" ammo in it.
Like to see if the tuner works but man would I be upset if I needed a tuner on a $2000+ 22lr build!
I am not a Vudoo spokes person. I did allot of research before I pulled the trigger on my V22. I wanted a precision 22lr trainer that was exact to my other rigs that was/could be super accurate and having a 700 foot print and takes AICS style mags. I opted for them to do a full build. From ordering to receiving the rifle to its craftsmanship/attention to detail, function and shooting I am amazed. Let me be clear/restate, I am not tuning it because it does not shot consistently. I am trying a tuner to see if its possible to shrink groups even more with a few more different types of ammo. I have tested quite a bit of some good precision ammo from various manufactures. I am just trying to see if I can broaden her diet a bit more. Using a tuner on a precision rimfire is
pretty common. The V22 chamber was engineered around Lapua ammo and there is a list of diffrent types of ammo they recommend running none of which is cheap plinker stuff.

I just ordered their V22S which is their precision single shot for a rimfire bench rest rig. More to come when she arrives.

Attachments

• 3CABCBB4-68AB-4D9C-ABC0-187FDA6782E5.jpeg
    3CABCBB4-68AB-4D9C-ABC0-187FDA6782E5.jpeg
    481.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 49DEEE6F-4BF8-4403-A35D-AE4FA8D95086.jpeg
    49DEEE6F-4BF8-4403-A35D-AE4FA8D95086.jpeg
    425.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 4A81EB7F-366C-4BC6-B3DE-9306F823EFB9.jpeg
    4A81EB7F-366C-4BC6-B3DE-9306F823EFB9.jpeg
    446.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I am not a Vudoo spokes person. I did allot of research before I pulled the trigger on my V22. I wanted a precision 22lr trainer that was exact to my other rigs that was/could be super accurate and having a 700 foot print and takes AICS style mags. I opted for them to do a full build. From ordering to receiving the rifle to its craftsmanship/attention to detail, function and shooting I am amazed. Let me be clear/restate, I am not tuning it because it does not shot consistently. I am trying a tuner to see if its possible to shrink groups even more with a few more different types of ammo. I have tested quite a bit of some good precision ammo from various manufactures. I am just trying to see I I can broaden her diet a bit more. Using a tuner on a precision rimfire is
pretty common. The V22 chamber was engineered about Lapua and there is a list of diffrent types of ammo they recommend running none of which is cheap plinker stuff.

I just ordered their V22S which is their precision single shot for a rimfire bench rest rig. More to come when she arrives.
Nice!
IIRC my friends friend had a Bravo chassis, not the best he said but plenty for 22lr. i asked him why hes shooting the not so nice stuff.
His words, 22lr is not worth .15¢ per round, yet he has $1800 action ,$300 ish chassis and a March scope on it? What ever..... i shot 8-10 1" dots at 100 yrds and blame both misses on off sounding reports!!!

Hows that SK flatnose? For what ever reason my ruger/Kidd barrel likes SK of all flavors so far.

Nice!
IIRC my friends friend had a Bravo chassis, not the best he said but plenty for 22lr. i asked him why hes shooting the not so nice stuff.
His words, 22lr is not worth .15¢ per round, yet he has $1800 action ,$300 ish chassis and a March scope on it? What ever..... i shot 8-10 1" dots at 100 yrds and blame both misses on off sounding reports!!!
I tell myself I'm not a good enough shot to need one yet, but man is it tempting.

I'm holding out for a B14r next to go with my B14 in 6.5.

For reloading: finally started getting components in, I have everything for 6.5 on hand, so thats the kick I need to actually make some space and set my bench up. Close to having .223 ready, sitting on 2 shipped orders and a backorder for the shell holder.

Nice!

Hows that SK flatnose? For what ever reason my ruger/Kidd barrel likes SK of all flavors so far.
I am by no means judging your friend at all so please forgive me if it comes across that way.

I have yet to have understand why people will spend several K on a precision rifle or have a custom build done by a reputable builder and dump a few K and mount a 400 dollar scope and run crap ammo through it. I don’t understand it at all.

My V22 did not like the SK Flat Nose. It cycled fine zero FTF, fires or ejects. It just did not group all that great at 50 yds compared the numerous others I tried.

Finished wet tumbling the 30-06 brass that I just got done annealing. I think i found the cleaning formula that works for me. One cup industrial strength SIMPLE GREEN cleaner and degreaser, one tablespoon of LEMISHINE, and two tablespoons of ARMORALL wash and wax car wash. 10 lbs. of brass, and 12 lbs. of pins. Ran the tumblers for 3 hrs. Rinsed under cold water, then into the oven, at 200 Deg. for 1 1/2 hrs. Heres the results.........

BEFORE CLEANING........
FED623D8-9C62-42BA-B157-36629D4F92DA.jpeg

AFTER CLEANING.......

FED623D8-9C62-42BA-B157-36629D4F92DA.jpeg 1F5BEF5A-957D-46ED-961E-94C7E124BF41.jpeg 0ED45EA3-E77D-4D05-A651-AC68F875EB43.jpeg ABE289A4-A035-48B8-8BCA-3D12F6ADF0C0.jpeg 3855E008-2265-494C-8318-C7FB3938E7BA.jpeg 5D506031-1DB8-4020-99C1-FFCC8262026F.jpeg EE6DA1AD-056D-4E0B-BFCB-0B5A4DB7A641.jpeg 027A176D-75BA-4EC0-A5BB-C696C045EC79.jpeg

I am by no means judging your friend at all so please forgive me if it comes across that way.

I have yet to have understand why people will spend several K on a precision rifle or have a custom build done by a reputable builder and dump a few K and mount a 400 dollar scope and run crap ammo through it. I don’t understand it at all.

My V22 did not like the SK Flat Nose. It cycled fine zero FTF, fires or ejects. It just did not group all that great at 50 yds compared the numerous others I tried.
Please dont wirry about judgement I was not easy on him , i was like “ what type of a**h*** runs bulk in a vudoo”. He was lucky to have a decent lot of CCI and we both where just off the MOA mark for 10 round groups. I blame the ammo for sure!!
Yeah people wonder why I shoot “expensive ammo” through my 22s Even out of my 75 yr old 513.
For the most part I run CCI standard and SK Standard Plus
Out of my Kidd barreled 10/22 , tac sol upper and 513t I have a variety of the mid to upper end of Match ammo but I generally dont shoot it unless Im going for Xs. More often than not Im shooting at 2-3” steel at random distances
Of course everything loves Tenex!
CenterX ran well in my old 513t but I only bout the 3 boxes they had oncthe shelf
Wondered about the flatnose only because its on the shelf locally. I really dont need more 22lr especially another brand/lot I cant get seceral thousand rounds of IF one of my guns likes it.

I think this was the scope he had , it was nice and the glass was really clear even at 60x at 100 yards but it was to much I had it on 30x
I rin 24x on my Sightron and I run a cheap mueller on 24x on another 22
Funny I have rings/mounts that cost more than my scopes!
I dont own anything thats really expensive , I have been tempted to sell most of my 22s and get one really nice set up

Last edited:
Tried out some 115gr (9mm) over 4.2 titegroup. Not my usual powder. Is titegroup inherently dirty? Brass wasn't that bad, a little soot mark. But, the muzzle was filthy, just like the guy shooting the gun. Will raising the charge clean things up? Or is it just the way it is?

I'd raise the charge. I shoot a lot of 124grn 9mm over 4.0 of Titegroup, with a max recommended of 4.1. I do get some soot on the brass, the muzzle's a little dirty, nothing a couple patches won't clean out after two to three hundred rounds.

Here's the data from Hodgdon for your 115 grn bullets:

1614687343591.png

Link: https://shop.hodgdon.com/reloading-data-center?rdc=true&type=53

Mounted the ATS Tuner on the V22
I just put one of those ATS tuners on my Bergara rimfire. I am not sure if I used it correctly or not. I also just got some center-x so maybe the better grouping was due to the better quality ammo. Maybe I should spend more time with it when the weather warms. Nice piece of equipment though.

I'm trying to organize and my wife is afraid of me storing my primers and powder out in the open. I set off an explosive in the house one time (not counting the primers) and now she's paranoid.

She wants me to store the powder in a steel ammo can. Wouldn't that effectively create a bomb?

Do any of you use actual fire proof storage?

I'm trying to organize and my wife is afraid of me storing my primers and powder out in the open. I set off an explosive in the house one time (not counting the primers) and now she's paranoid.

She wants me to store the powder in a steel ammo can. Wouldn't that effectively create a bomb?

Sealed Steel ammo can is a big no no. Yes it’s a bomb. I’m sure someone can link the SAAMI storage standards, but basically a wood cabinet/locker with 1in walls and pressure relief (weak door/lid) works. And keep the primers and powder separate.

The jugs are actually designed with fire safety in mind (ie they won’t become bombs by holding pressure). Remember, smokeless powder isn’t an explosive, it is a propellant. So long as pressure isn’t allowed to build...no boom. Black powder is a very different story.

I would not store them in a metal can. SAAMI publishes guidance on primer and powder storage - saami powder storage - Google Search

1” thick wood cabinet to slow fire and not hold pressure

Metal cabinets may be convenient but are not a logical safe solution

IIRC metal .mil ammo cans are designed with a rubber seal to release pressure and avoid creating a bomb.

Don't lock your powder in a tight container - powder simply burns without a container. Add a container and you get the explosion.
Open mesh cabinet or a container with a weakly attached side(s) will bleed off any pressure

From SAAMI:

CONSIDERATIONS FOR STORAGE OF SMOKELESS POWDER
Smokeless powder is intended to function by burning, so it must be protected against accidental exposure to flame, sparks or high temperatures. For these reasons, storage enclosures should be made of insulating materials to protect the powder from external heat sources. Once smokeless powder begins to burn, it will continue to burn (and generate gas pressure) until it is consumed. DOT-approved containers are constructed to open up at low internal pressures to avoid the effects normally produced by the rupture or bursting of strong containers.

Storage enclosures for smokeless powder should be constructed in a similar manner:
1. Of fire-resistant and heat-insulating materials to protect contents from external heat.
2. Sufficiently loose to vent the gaseous products of combustion satisfactorily which would result if the quantity of smokeless powder within the enclosure accidentally ignited. If a small, tightly enclosed storage enclosure is loaded to capacity with containers of smokeless powder, the walls of the enclosure will expand or move outwards to release the gas pressure — if the smokeless powder in storage is accidentally ignited. Under such conditions, the effects of the release of gas pressure are similar or identical to the effects produced by an explosion.

Therefore, storage of smokeless powder should be in strict compliance with all applicable regulations and recommendations of the National Fire Protection Association (reprinted at end of leaflet).

11-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb. (9.1 kg) shall be permitted to be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb. (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb. (22.7 kg), shall be permitted to be stored in residences where kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls of at least 1 in. (25.4 mm) nominal thickness.

Wooden box

Wait, that's an automated tube filler? Why motorized filling the tubes and not motorized just feeding the primers direct into the press and skip the tube?

This seems a lot like the classic solution in search of a problem 🤣

Because you can do other stuff on your press while you're waiting for the tubes to fill, lol.. If you have the filler chained to the machine, the machine is useless until it's done filling.

Back
Top Bottom