• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

You'll ruin the puller on concrete.

The end grain of a piece of yellow pine 2x4 or or a piece of hardwood firewood is much better to preserve the hammer end.
I been lazy and use the foundation edge often enough and my Blue ( Franford Arsenal ) hammer has held up well.
The lead hunk works best .

* Just a quick addendum, I have 2 of the whack-a-mole hammers for some reason, I have no idea where 1 of them came from. I never liked changing the rubber band on the 3 piece thingamabobs. I keep one set up for 9mm and 1 for .45acp
Pro tip. You can use a shell holder plate inside the hammer instead of the 3 wedges. Since those stupid rubber bands on the wedges always break

Pro tip. You can use a shell holder plate inside the hammer instead of the 3 wedges. Since those stupid rubber bands on the wedges always break
Just be careful I was using one for 30-30 and they chipped shellholder and messed up some brass before I noticed it. Thanks for the reminder I gotta get ahold of lee, wonder if they’ll replace it.

I loaded up the last of my 44 cal 240 gr XTPs with H110 in anticipation of receiving my Desert Eagle next week.

I also loaded up 4 rounds of the Xtreme 240 gr plated bullets with H110. Curious if they can hold up to the velocity. I made a dummy round and it didn’t appear to break through the plating.
View attachment 455490
Finally shot the Xtreme bullets today. I only had 5 water jugs and that was not enough 😂
Out of the Desert Eagle, in went through all 5 but I was able to recover the bullet in the berm.
I’m shocked how well the plating held up with a good dose of H110 and a firm roll crimp. I think it’s safe to say these are good to go in the DE.
4137D23C-00D9-498B-B801-AE4D94180432.jpeg E7D8E1F4-65DF-4F3E-AD8E-24969684D1E7.jpeg E2BA316B-562E-49A8-AE72-B586F011DFBE.jpeg

Scored a bunch of PMC and Armscor “A USA” 357 mag brass at the range today. I’ve never used Armscor 357 brass before. Is it good to go?
Also snagged a bunch of shiny 30-30 brass. Love how people leave such nice brass behind....
Not to mention loaded rounds. Broke down a few rounds I found today, for primers...

Crap. Picked up like 40 cases. Bummer

So it loaded "Off Center" for lack of a better description. Like exactly one half of the case wall was thinner or weaker in a section and stretched out when a bullet was pressed in.
I had a picture of it , not sure if I still do, and it did it on every piece.
It was odd, like one half of the case was a straight line from the case mouth to the rim and the other side had this tumor like bulge to it.
I was running a batch of 400 or so at the time, that was the only brass that did it.

At one time, there was a list of Bad Headstamps To Avoid over at Castboolits. AA-USA was on there.

Last edited:
So it loaded "Off Center" for lack of a better description. Like exactly one half of the case wall was thinner or weaker in a section and stretched out when a bullet was pressed in.
I had a picture of it , not sure if I still do, and it did it on every piece.
It was odd, like one half of the case was a straight line from the case mouth to the rim and the other side had this tumor like bulge to it.
I was running a batch of 400 or so at the time, that was the only brass that did it.

At one time, there was a list of Bad Headstamps To Avoid over at Castboolits. AA-USA was on there.

Lee Factory Crimp die would fix that, no?

Lee Factory Crimp die would fix that, no?

At the time, I was using that Lee 4 die set. Tried a Redding Profile die and that wasn't it either. Narrowed it down to the brass, which was simple enough because it was all the same head stamp.
Not long after that, at around the same time I was getting a little more selective with brass I went to the Sq Deal. I had amassed enough .45 ( 2 -5 gallon buckets) to start sorting and keeping what I knew would work.
It was weird, looked like the lobe on a camshaft almost. Not that it had that eccentric kick, just off center. Like the old fuel pump lobes, but less pronounced.

Scored a bunch of PMC and Armscor “A USA” 357 mag brass at the range today. I’ve never used Armscor 357 brass before. Is it good to go?
Also snagged a bunch of shiny 30-30 brass. Love how people leave such nice brass behind....
Not to mention loaded rounds. Broke down a few rounds I found today, for primers...
might have been hard for the old guy to bend over. Was at the range and a old timer hardly made it from car to bench. Hate to see the effort for him to collect his brass.
Then theres the ones that leave the trass for the peasant s.

At the time, I was using that Lee 4 die set. Tried a Redding Profile die and that wasn't it either. Narrowed it down to the brass, which was simple enough because it was all the same head stamp.
Not long after that, at around the same time I was getting a little more selective with brass I went to the Sq Deal. I had amassed enough .45 ( 2 -5 gallon buckets) to start sorting and keeping what I knew would work.
It was weird, looked like the lobe on a camshaft almost. Not that it had that eccentric kick, just off center. Like the old fuel pump lobes, but less pronounced.
Some brass does it more than others.
What o have found is when i get that deformation the bullet is not starting square. It will buldge

Bulge the side of the case as it goes in amd eventully the bullet straightens out a bit.
Its just enough to give it that shape.
i had more of a problem with cast loads with flat profiles using a rounded profile seater.
i eventully found a seater in my junk pile that was for truncated nose and it works great.

Back
Top Bottom