• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

My diy brass tumbler exploded. Long story short, don't tape down the trigger on a $20 ryobi and try to run it off a car battery with a 5 gallon jug of cracked corn on the end.

What do you all use for a cheaper brass tumbler? Those Frankford ones work well?

Yea, that whole amperage thing will get you every time. What was the battery size, 600CCA?

My Frankford works fine. Corncob. I run for 2 hours or so with older dirty media, then switch to cleaner media with splash of polish. Run another hour or two. Works for me. Everyone has their own special recipe of course.

I’ve got no complaints with my Frankfort tumbler think it was like 50 bucks.
Frankfort it is then.

Only thing I learned about tumblers is you need the size that fits your needs.
I have the huge lyman tumbler and it does not work for shit unless full.
Tried putting small amounts of media in with small amounts of brass,,,, just does not work.
Yes the big one is great for big runs but often Im looking to just do the 50-80 pcs I just used at the last match.

im tempted to send out my buckets to have it all done in one swoop but so far no one aneals

Adding a new reloading bench. I had to build this one to use standing, because I need the height to store the compressor under. My garage is "crowded", to put it mildly. Server cabinets full of ammo and tools, shelving, a decent sized gunsafe, a 3x8 workbench, a loading bench, couple of rollaways, motorcycle, small milling machine & a drillpress take up a lot of space...

So, wtf would I add another bench? Well, I was at the range a couple of weeks ago, running drills on steel with a pistol, and started talking to an older guy who was trying out a new pistol. One thing leads to another, we go shoot some skeet; (I had a couple of shotguns in the truck). Turns out that he's an incredible skeet shooter, (I suck), and he's got lots of time on his hands now that he's older.

So, I texted him earlier this week and met him at the club, shot a couple more rounds of skeet. He asked me if I had any interest in a couple of presses, he's getting rid of them and looking for a home for them. He's only shooting .410 and 28 these days, has MEC presses setup for 12 and 20 that he doesn't want any more...

Worse case, I have another bench in my garage. I'm sure I can fill it up with something.

IMG_2098.JPG

IMG_2099.JPG

IMG_2100.JPG

Digging out some 22 hornet stuff. Realized I don’t have a shell holder. So I dug through the 310 tong tool box and found an old steel handled set for 22 hornet. Made up a single dummy round but I’m borrow a shell holder because the 20 pieces of brass I have need to be FL sized.

Adding a new reloading bench. I had to build this one to use standing, because I need the height to store the compressor under. My garage is "crowded", to put it mildly. Server cabinets full of ammo and tools, shelving, a decent sized gunsafe, a 3x8 workbench, a loading bench, couple of rollaways, motorcycle, small milling machine & a drillpress take up a lot of space...

So, wtf would I add another bench? Well, I was at the range a couple of weeks ago, running drills on steel with a pistol, and started talking to an older guy who was trying out a new pistol. One thing leads to another, we go shoot some skeet; (I had a couple of shotguns in the truck). Turns out that he's an incredible skeet shooter, (I suck), and he's got lots of time on his hands now that he's older.

So, I texted him earlier this week and met him at the club, shot a couple more rounds of skeet. He asked me if I had any interest in a couple of presses, he's getting rid of them and looking for a home for them. He's only shooting .410 and 28 these days, has MEC presses setup for 12 and 20 that he doesn't want any more...

Worse case, I have another bench in my garage. I'm sure I can fill it up with something.

View attachment 463459

View attachment 463460

View attachment 463461
Nice job!

The original (1995) powder tube for my Dillon 550 became so stained from powder that I could not see how much was left.
A quick call to Dillon had a new one in the mail which arrived in a few days.
Great customer service!
Took some time to switch it out today.

New powder tube.jpg

My diy brass tumbler exploded. Long story short, don't tape down the trigger on a $20 ryobi and try to run it off a car battery with a 5 gallon jug of cracked corn on the end.

What do you all use for a cheaper brass tumbler? Those Frankford ones work well?
My Hornady unit was 60 bucks had it 2 years. I tumble overnight in corn cob. Thing still runs great

Brass prep 7.62x39, 308, 30/06, 556...sizing, trimming, uniforming primer pockets, looking for shit I KNOW I bought - musta misplaced it. Trying to go to the range today as it turned out to be nice weather.
Easiest way to find shit is buy more and when you get it put it away , but first tou need to move the shit you where looking for. I have a a small room , 8x8.....its amazing how hard itvis to find shit!

The original (1995) powder tube for my Dillon 550 became so stained from powder that I could not see how much was left.
Great customer service!

View attachment 463785
Jeez , they usually deteriorate and crack before that ,

Great customer service!

View attachment 463785
Same thing happened to my Hornady tube. I bought a glass Dramworx hopper tube which should never need replacing again.

Nice! I have a couple of those. Never hooked them up though. Let us know what you think about it.
I have one also, but never hooked it up.
I can keep track well enough buy counting the times I fill the primer magazine.
Maybe not down to the single digit, but if I know I reloaded "X" hundred rounds today, I'm happy.

Back
Top Bottom