• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Heard great things about the Henderson as well. What’s the pros cons versus indexing off the shoulder versus the casehead? Seems the majority of the long range guys prefer the Giraud, I believe that it indexes off shoulder.
It saves you time because you dont have to seperate the brass if you have a lot of mixed manufacturers. I believe most long range guys who are shooting for accuracy, dont mix their brass up. They shoot in lots of the same brass. I just did about 2000 rounds that had five to six different manufacturers. But im not shooting for accuracy, im just making food for my GARAND.....

I've had a large bucket of .223/5.56 for some time and decided to start sorting by headstamp. I guess I never realized how many different headstamps there are, and will have to get some more bins. A couple I never saw before was ADI (Australian Defense Industries) and PSD from South Korea.

I did a project for a medical office about 20 years ago. We installed special order lead lined sheet rock in the xray room and along a partition wall for the technician.

Yep. Had to apply those small lead patches over the screw heads too.
Dang those gwb panels were freakin heavy.

Similarly, I worked on a project a few years ago that used tens of thousands of pounds of lead for shielding. I spent a few days on site at a vendor that specializes in lead shielding for hospitals (though our project was not medical). Apparently guys who specialize in lead welding (aka 'lead burners') make pretty good money.

I have black, bronze and red. Haven't tried the black so that is my plan. The bronze is always very successful and the red seems to be a bit finicky.
Yeah I always felt like the non metallics were a little finicky. I found you need to swirl them longer and let them evaporate more to get a good application.

Heard great things about the Henderson as well. What’s the pros cons versus indexing off the shoulder versus the casehead? Seems the majority of the long range guys prefer the Giraud, I believe that it indexes off shoulder.
Indexing off the case head can give you a little more leeway when trimming many different headstamps where shoulder angle may not be the same. Keep in mind with auto loaders like the M1 , AR and such the case rim can be distorted enough to cause variations in trim length and squareness.
If all of your brass is “the same” trimming off the shoulder should produce a good consistent cut length.
For bulk ammo a few .xxxx wont matter
Its all good and use what works for you.

It saves you time because you dont have to seperate the brass if you have a lot of mixed manufacturers. I believe most long range guys who are shooting for accuracy, dont mix their brass up. They shoot in lots of the same brass. I just did about 2000 rounds that had five to six different manufacturers. But im not shooting for accuracy, im just making food for my GARAND.....
Thanks this makes sense. Seems like their are pros and cons to both. I really like the case holder on the Henderson seems it would save some on some pain after long trimming sessions.

Finally finished trimming about 350 223 cases and they are ready for loading. I’ve got to scrounge up another 50 or so as this lot is dedicated to a precision course coming up.

Also helped a friend load some more 6.5 we are developing for the course lol.

Tonight when kids go to bed gotta take some preliminary measurements on another Tikka 223 for my father, for the course lol.

Gonna be busy but hopefully be starting a few more guys on the journey of reloading. Luckily my load development is complete and I can load and feel confident. Hopefully the other two developments go smooth and we can crank some rounds out. Have about two months to have everything ready.

Sized/lubed a half of an akro bin of MP 360640 HP
Just loaded a couple hundred 38s with the solid version of that same bullet.

I dumped the last couple ounces of clays in the hopper. Double checked the powder measure was throwing properly.

Loaded a handful cartridges and saw the next one barely had any powder in the case. Damnit. The small amount of powder had bridged in the hopper.
I had just noticed that last case had no powder but who knows if the one right before that was a little light.

It’s a relatively small charge for that deep skinny 38 case so I use a light mounted press to look into every case.
Might have caught it might not. Looks like I’m setting those handful of cases to the side to be pulled. Can’t waste the SPP nowadays.

Moral of the story being it’s better to second guess yourself than to work through the cartridges looking for a squib 😁

I loaded some of these Sierra 170 gr 357 bullets I forgot I had. Unfortunately it seems the bullets are slightly undersized (my calipers say .3565”). Takes next to no effort to seat the bullets. They still move a little bit after a firm crimp when I press them against my bench.
Oh well. I only have 100 of them.
View attachment 474840
Shot these tonight. They hit hard and were plenty accurate in the Dan Wesson. No bullets were jumping the crimp.

Sized/lubed a half of an akro bin of MP 360640 HP
Just loaded a couple hundred 38s with the solid version of that same bullet.

I dumped the last couple ounces of clays in the hopper. Double checked the powder measure was throwing properly.

Loaded a handful cartridges and saw the next one barely had any powder in the case. Damnit. The small amount of powder had bridged in the hopper.
I had just noticed that last case had no powder but who knows if the one right before that was a little light.

It’s a relatively small charge for that deep skinny 38 case so I use a light mounted press to look into every case.
Might have caught it might not. Looks like I’m setting those handful of cases to the side to be pulled. Can’t waste the SPP nowadays.

Moral of the story being it’s better to second guess yourself than to work through the cartridges looking for a squib 😁
You can always find squibs via the @Broccoli Iglesias method!

20200730_172435-jpg.376918

Made up 100 of these goofy looking things. Going to hack the tops off once my jig comes in.

20210426_192958.jpg

On another note, NH govenor just signed into law statewide pistol caliber lever rifles for deer hunting. I tapped into my new box of XTP for the occasion. I'm a big numbers guy (I'm Korean, I can't help the draw to math), so I'm buying a block of ballistic gel to try some loads out I have at 900, 1,200, and 1,750 fps.

Back
Top Bottom