• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

To above post. Full length small base on the die.

I just finished 1k 9mm. Starting the 2nd k and switched from old Winchester SPP to Federal SPP. I'm all the sudden getting sideways seating occasionally (using SDB). I checked the press and the brass. I'm 99% sure it's the primer cups are slightly different. Fortunately this us my last outlier brick. After it's done I'm back to my beloved CCI400s.
Thanks that’s where I was leaning

Picked up one of these last night on my way home from work.

Loud (sounds like a freaking lawn mower) but I'll tell you what - I used a 3-1 ratio by weight of walnut shells for 2 hours and it did an amazing job. I'd be interested to know what others use for a media/cases ratio, time duration, and how often the media is changed.

It now has a (peace and quiet) home out by the workbench in the garage. :cool:

That's what I used to use and I would also add a teaspoon/capfull of nufinish or brass polish to the mix. A year or so ago I changed to corn cob media and it cleans even better!

I've also heard trail boss meters like shit and isn't fun to work with. What's the draw toward using it? Guess I'm asking what pro is that outweighs the cons.
It has its uses,
1. When following Manufacturers directions it can be used safely in any cartridge.
2. It can greatly reduce powder consumption
3. Makes some really nice low velocity rounds.

as for metering? I dont load enough of TB to put through a dispensor. I lee dip them.
I will be loading some 7.7 jap soon and will try the hornady measure with it.

I tried the used dryer sheet thing but didn't really notice any difference in walnut dust.
dry tumbling will have dust.
I find the best thing to do is a
50/50 mix of Oderless Mineral Spirits and NuFinish
Mixed up I use a cap full from the NuFinish every few runs.
I started using new dryer sheets. Seems to leave less "dust" on the cases.

Anybody on here ever make black powder 38 special loads? A guy at the club had some he made and was shooting them in a ruger blackhawk. Smoke rings and all.....lots of fun.

Any data on how to make them? Have not seen the guy in months to ask his data.

It has its uses,
1. When following Manufacturers directions it can be used safely in any cartridge.
2. It can greatly reduce powder consumption
3. Makes some really nice low velocity rounds.

as for metering? I dont load enough of TB to put through a dispensor. I lee dip them.
I will be loading some 7.7 jap soon and will try the hornady measure with it.
Try metering TB in your Lee perfect powder measure. Mine works well.

dry tumbling will have dust.
I find the best thing to do is a
50/50 mix of Oderless Mineral Spirits and NuFinish
Mixed up I use a cap full from the NuFinish every few runs.
I started using new dryer sheets. Seems to leave less "dust" on the cases.
I do it in the garage; take the tumbler outside to sift and wear a face diaper or HEPA respirator.

Anybody on here ever make black powder 38 special loads? A guy at the club had some he made and was shooting them in a ruger blackhawk. Smoke rings and all.....lots of fun.

It's black powder, just fill it till it spills over and go! record the results

disclaimer: I have absolutely zero experience with black powder and this is for entertainment purposes only.

I don’t lube my pistol brass but I know plenty of guys who do. Especially with the 9mm cases since they’re tapered. Saves some wear and tear on your hand/arm during resizing but it’s not horrible. I use a homemade padded glove to help my hand/palm. Helps during long reloading sessions.

Gorilla tape and some weather stripping
[rofl]
I’m due for a new one. This one is getting worn out.
1622238693891.jpeg
1622238745280.jpeg
@Agt. Smith I use a padded glove when reloading 9mm 😂

It's black powder, just fill it till it spills over and go! record the results

disclaimer: I have absolutely zero experience with black powder and this is for entertainment purposes only.

You're not far off, from what I understand you want enough BP in the case to nearly fill it so the bullet compresses it somewhat.

@Agt. Smith I use a padded glove when reloading 9mm 😂
@andrew1220 It's funny - it's not really all that bad after you get use to it. I was just surprised at the force needed compared to the other dies. Chalk it up to the newbie thing.

But, it's working. And that's a good thing......:D

Never tried it, didn't know it was a thing.
With about 75 other powders to pick from, never really saw the need to try it.

I know its one of those throwback cartridges, was there ever something like a Navy Colt or similar made specifically for that caliber?
That might be a good place to start.

Never tried it, didn't know it was a thing.
With about 75 other powders to pick from, never really saw the need to try it.

I know its one of those throwback cartridges, was there ever something like a Navy Colt or similar made specifically for that caliber?
That might be a good place to start.
38 special was designed originally with black powder. Switched to smokeless when it came out.

The reason to try blackpowder 38 is to actually shoot the "original" loading as far as I understand it. Plus it looks like alot of fun. The ones I've see shot had a much different report.......HUGE deep boom and a smoke ring from the muzzle.

I've now researched a couple of YouTubers that use 17 grains fffg and a 158 cast lswc. Important to be sure the load is compressed.....black powder needs to be packed tight with no space in the case. I may try this at some point......was just hoping to see an actual load data from a saami perspective.....not a youtuber lol

You're not far off, from what I understand you want enough BP in the case to nearly fill it so the bullet compresses it somewhat.
i wonder if you can even get enough black powder powder in a 38spl case compressed to even reach any "danger" levels?
I know a few people who love to run black powder in everything. Just because.

There are manuals out there Im sure.
Castboolits.com and Cowboy Action forums full of info also?

38 special was designed originally with black powder. Switched to smokeless when it came out.

The reason to try blackpowder 38 is to actually shoot the "original" loading as far as I understand it. Plus it looks like alot of fun. The ones I've see shot had a much different report.......HUGE deep boom and a smoke ring from the muzzle.

I've now researched a couple of YouTubers that use 17 grains fffg and a 158 cast lswc. Important to be sure the load is compressed.....black powder needs to be packed tight with no space in the case. I may try this at some point......was just hoping to see an actual load data from a saami perspective.....not a youtuber lol

Also check out how to properly clean after shooting BP in your gun, its different than typical smokeless routine.

200 more 9mm in just a few hours this morning. (100 new brass/100 once fired brass)

We had 36F here this morning. Nice fire in the wood stove. No snow yet - but I'll keep you posted. :cool:

View attachment 487426
That looks like a decent setup. Does it really take a "few hours" to crank out 200 rounds with that rig?

Ammo fund is a nice touch, but it needs folding money, not coins.

That looks like a decent setup. Does it really take a "few hours" to crank out 200 rounds with that rig?

Ammo fund is a nice touch, but it needs folding money, not coins.
Good point.

As a relative beginner, I'm still in "take my time" mode. Checking things twice, weights, OALs, etc. I'm sure production can (and eventually will) speed up with time.

I am amazed at how repeatable the process is. Especially the set/taper crimp die which keeps the OALs within +/- .001".

Decapping hack! I bought a LEE APP to decap and it was less than useless. Call me a press snob but its way to rinky dinky for me. So I went about hacking my Mk 7 Evo and I found a solution...well hack but way better than the APP.
Case feeding on the stock APP the is usual Lee experience - close but not quite over the finish line. I've printed new parts that get the number of cases thrown across the room down to an acceptable number but they should have gotten it right the first time.

Sizing bullets with a feeder is where it shines.
Again I tend to use printed parts but that is too get the speed up to pretty much as fast as I can sustain without my shoulder going out.

200 more 9mm in just a few hours this morning. (100 new brass/100 once fired brass)

We had 36F here this morning. Nice fire in the wood stove. No snow yet - but I'll keep you posted. :cool:

View attachment 487426

In about another week you're going to need a bigger akro bin

Seems a little light. Not checking the book right now but I’ve been using 4.6 of win231,same thing, under 124 gn xtreme RN
I'll have to double check the load data I used. First time loading this projectile...actually first time loading for 9mm!

ETA...so from the Speer Handloading Manual (Number 15). I used their data for 124gr TMJ RN...W231 starting weight shows 4.0, so I went 4.1 grains with OAL of 1.135". Hopefully will cycle my G17 and P938 okay.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom