• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I'll have to double check the load data I used. First time loading this projectile...actually first time loading for 9mm!

ETA...so from the Speer Handloading Manual (Number 15). I used their data for 124gr TMJ RN...W231 starting weight shows 4.0, so I went 4.1 grains with OAL of 1.135". Hopefully will cycle my G17 and P938 okay.
Always good to start low.

I'll have to double check the load data I used. First time loading this projectile...actually first time loading for 9mm!

ETA...so from the Speer Handloading Manual (Number 15). I used their data for 124gr TMJ RN...W231 starting weight shows 4.0, so I went 4.1 grains with OAL of 1.135". Hopefully will cycle my G17 and P938 okay.
Hogdon site is listing data as 4.4-4.8 grs using HP38 in Sierra FMJ 125grs. Do you chronograph your loads? My guess is that you're pushing about 750-800 fps...
1622347083869.png

I've found even mfg data is weird online. For instance TiteGroup 8lb jugs have a label that says 115gr 9mm is 4.8gr with no callout. But when you look at the website there's no 115gr FMJ ball load data listed which seems insane to me. They have a 115gr load and it is 4.8gr max, but it's listed as for a SPR GDHP. They also have a LRN listed at 4.3gr max.

I've loaded 115gr FMJ ball in 0.1gr increments to above 5.2gr. So I know it's good personally. I just find it ridiculous the most common bullets aren't listed. Like I woukd expect to see a Barry's load data for 115 and 147 since I see 1k boxes everywhere.

I've found even mfg data is weird online. For instance TiteGroup 8lb jugs have a label that says 115gr 9mm is 4.8gr with no callout. But when you look at the website there's no 115gr FMJ ball load data listed which seems insane to me. They have a 115gr load and it is 4.8gr max, but it's listed as for a SPR GDHP. They also have a LRN listed at 4.3gr max.

I've loaded 115gr FMJ ball in 0.1gr increments to above 5.2gr. So I know it's good personally. I just find it ridiculous the most common bullets aren't listed. Like I woukd expect to see a Barry's load data for 115 and 147 since I see 1k boxes everywhere.
manufactures have to spend the time and money to do the testing.
Speers/hornady/ nosler wont list bullets out side thier line.
Powder companies , im sure get a kick back for listing certain bullets in their data.
Data is always shifting

Loaded up 150 .357 magnums over N105 using the Lee powder measure. Feels like working with a toy, but it does work better with this kind of powder. I was getting within 0.1 grains except on one drop when it felt crunchy I got +0.2. Unlike with the Hornady drop, that rarely happened (that it felt crunchy), so when they felt like that, I'd just dump them into a container that was going back into the cannister and drop them again. Still can't say that N105 and N110 are joys to load with using a powder drop, but the Lee drop does seem to make them more tolerable.

Loaded 200 rounds of 45acp. 100 200 grain cast swc and 100 230 grain rn plated. Both with bullseye 4.6 and 5.0 grains respectively

Then set up the press to run 20 rounds of 38 with 158 grain Frontier brand plated round nose with 4.8 unique. These are for a test. Never ran unique for 38 and also have not tested these Frontier plated rn either. May head to the club after dinner to run em and see what they do for the blqckhawk. I have not run any 38 special in awhile need to get that stock built up for plinking and general ammo stockpile. 20210530_145306.jpg

What sucks is I’m pretty sure I have tennis elbow from shooting and work related stuff. It’s painful to shoot at this point and I’m looking up remedies
Work related stuff + Need remedy = workers comp claim.
Think of all the time you'll have to shoot while your company insurance pays all your bills.

I don't trust online load data. Years ago I was loading up some rifle loads (probably 6.5 Swede) and went to a bullet mfg website (can't remember which one) but their starting charges were over the max charges in my Lyman book.

At this point in my life I'm not doing much load development anyway. I have the loads that work for me and I plug along with them.

Loaded and tested 20 .357 158 gr Poly Coated FP with 6.2 gr Unique Col 1.57 using Alliant Load Data on a Hornady LNL AP. Ran them out of a Ruger SP 101 and my Marlin 1894. Rang steel at 25, 50 yds. with pistol and 75 and 100 yds. with rifle. No pressure signs I will load a few more and chrony sometime this week. I will also try a 38 Spcl load also.

View attachment 488079View attachment 488080
Took this mould with the penta pins and made up a little batch.
View attachment 488081
First time running this new mould and it ran like a dream.
View attachment 488082
Lubed and sized ready to make some ammo
View attachment 488083
Love the pics in this thread.

Always had a question I never got around to asking. The lube groove, theres some portion of the bullet thats passing down the bore ahead of it and I would assume depositing lead. Its like its only providing lube for the last third of the bullet. Am I wrong?

Love the pics in this thread.

Always had a question I never got around to asking. The lube groove, theres some portion of the bullet thats passing down the bore ahead of it and I would assume depositing lead. Its like its only providing lube for the last third of the bullet. Am I wrong?

This is a quick read. Well worth it.
All you need to know really. There’s a few factors in it but basically the lube goes liquid and pressure pushes it all around.

FFHHUK! that mold makes nice bullets!

Jesus looks like stainless steel bullets 😂

You guys have no idea. The first fill I tossed to the side because the mould was a little cold. Not a single reject after that. I’m sure had I put a little more heat to the mould first I wouldn’t have lost a single bullet.
All that and it only a day less to arrive from Slovenia than my midway order placed the same day.

I have this bullet in a 6 cavity solid. 4 cavity HP and a 2 cavity HP. Every one cast just as nice.

You guys have no idea. The first fill I tossed to the side because the mould was a little cold. Not a single reject after that. I’m sure had I put a little more heat to the mould first I wouldn’t have lost a single bullet.
All that and it only a day less to arrive from Slovenia than my midway order placed the same day.

I have this bullet in a 6 cavity solid. 4 cavity HP and a 2 cavity HP. Every one cast just as nice.
Almost too pretty to shoot

Started loading my son's components for him because he obviously doesn't like reloading very much. Over the weekend I finished off a can of Shooter's World Clean Shot for him, over 1200 rounds of 38 special on a single-stage press. Little bit tired. I like the way that powder measures and flows, little balls that are not flattened and don't stick to anything. This powder is an alternative to Titegroup, which I hate working with because it sticks to everything and consequently meters rather poorly for a ball powder. I had to readjust the drop as I ran out of Clean Shot, but until then the Hornady drop was dead-on every time I checked and no leakage at all. Wow. I've heard that Ramshot True Blue is like that. Also heard other good things about True Blue. Since I'm starting to favor moderate .357 magnum loads, it might be pretty versatile powder for me. Auto Pistol gives me amazing low standard deviations with my coated lead loads, but it's just another powder with jacketed loads, similar to HS-6. I might have to check out True Blue when it's convenient to be choosy again.

Those are some sexy drops.
Is that the difference between brass and aluminum?
Yes! Much more consistency with temp. Absolutely love them.
Good for you, MJS. I don't have quite that much energy to cast, so I just melt some lead and fill some 5.7x28mm cases to make my proprietary 200gr JSWC. Ran a few in the SKS... They work just fine in the 7.65 Argentine and 54R, too.
Well now that’s pretty impressive too!

Tested my small batch of 38 special and was not impressed.

158 grain Frontier plated rn
4.8 grains unique
Cci small primer
Crimp was moderate I'd say

Shot like shit. Fist size at only 25 feet from a rest in the blackhawk. Never used unique for 38 and never used these Frontier plated bullets either. So is it the powder or the bullet? Guess I learned a lesson......change one component at a time or you don't know how to fix the accuracy problem 😂

So......anyone use unique for 158 grain 38 special? How's it run for you in a lower pressure loading like 38? I've had a ball using it for 357 mag it's accurate as hell in 357.

Another question for the group....plated bullets.....how fast can I push em? Can you make 357 mag loadings with 158 grain plated or will that case the plating to come off and lead up my bore?

Its the powder.
I've had fairly better results with it in .357 out of a 20" barrel.
For short barrel , it just doesn't get the burn time it needs.

Plated- I don't think I've pushed em past 1500. They're probably capable of more than that. I've heard ( or read) that those double struck ones going up to 1700. That might have been from the castboolits or manufacturers website.

The powder may be producing erratic velocities in this loading, but in a .357 Blackhawk at 25 feet, I’d be surprised if the bullets and/or gun weren’t the larger part the problem. Plated bullets are less accurate in my experience. Jacketed bullets may not care so much about the cylinder throats being too tight for the bore, but can the same be said of plated bullets? Plated bullets are also pretty soft and easy to deform.

Last edited:
From Berry's website:
  • Standard Plate Bullets Max Velocity: 1,250 fps.
  • Thick-Plate Bullets (TP) Max Velocity: 1,500 fps.
I've never seen anyone say you can push plated faster than 1500

Back
Top Bottom