• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I've loaded the xtreme 240 grainers with a stout charge of H110 and they held up well in my Desert Eagle. I'd have to imagine those were going above 1500 fps but can't confirm. Maybe I'll chrono them today if I can sneak out to the range.

I've loaded the xtreme 240 grainers with a stout charge of H110 and they held up well in my Desert Eagle. I'd have to imagine those were going above 1500 fps but can't confirm. Maybe I'll chrono them today if I can sneak out to the range.

isn't that polygonal rifling in the DE? You can probably get away with faster in that type of barrel.

............... What sucks is I’m pretty sure I have tennis elbow from shooting and work related stuff. It’s painful to shoot at this point and I’m looking up remedies.

I'm wearing This right now for tennis elbow. It's cheap enough and fairly comfortable. Just be sure it's tennis elbow and not something else or it's going to be a waste of money.

The powder may be producing erratic velocities in this loading, but in a .357 Blackhawk at 25 feet, I’d be surprised if the bullets and/or gun weren’t the larger part the problem. Plated bullets are less accurate in my experience. Jacketed bullets may not care so much about the cylinder throats being too tight for the bore, but can the same be said of plated bullets? Plated bullets are also pretty soft and easy to deform.
Its definitely NOT the gun. Lol. 50 FEET with my 357 reloads. 20210206_181900.jpg

Processed a few hundred pieces of 223 I shoot at the 600 yard line. Had a case seperate the other week, so after sizing, cleaning and trimming I did the bent paperclip test. Found one more that had the "ring" around it. The others were fine. This was only it's second firing and it's lake city, but anything is possible.

Its definitely NOT the gun. Lol. 50 FEET with my 357 reloads.
This is more of a ammo and gun combination thing that I was thinking about. Usually the concerns about tight cylinder throats with cast bullets is leading, but the reason for leading is gas blow by, and accuracy does suffer in that case. Of course we're not talking about cast bullets here, and we're not worried about leading, but plated bullets perform differently than jacketed bullets. They are soft, and they are really slippery. I was wondering whether plated bullets might suffer a loss of accuracy when there is blow-by. Jacketed bullets, however, do tend to handle it with aplomb.

Processed a few hundred pieces of 223 I shoot at the 600 yard line. Had a case seperate the other week, so after sizing, cleaning and trimming I did the bent paperclip test. Found one more that had the "ring" around it. The others were fine. This was only it's second firing and it's lake city, but anything is possible.

What is the bent paperclip test?

What is the bent paperclip test?

Using a bent paperclip to check for incipient case head separation on the inside of the case.

Still plated, not like they use titanium for plating. I don't think the name on the box is going to mean they are going to be able to go significantly faster. The opposite could in fact be the case.
I never suggested they could be pushed faster..... I was responding to the post that listed two other brands stating the brand I have is frontier......figured someone may have data on the Frontier that I have.....I'm fully aware they may be lower velocity

Calm down Frodo 😂

Last edited:
Using a bent paperclip to check for incipient case head separation on the inside of the case.

Ah. I just throw anything with a visible ring or wierd shape after resizing. Usually the ones like that won't resize symmetrical.

Loaded up 112 of .45 ACP to finish up a can of VV N105. These were Zero Bullet 230gr JHPs. VV doesn't publish any N105 loads for 230gr bullets, but since when has a little thing like that ever stopped me? We tested 10 to 12 grains in somewhat aggressive 0.5 grain increments. This was in Starline +P brass, which you have to account for because it has 2 grains H20 smaller case capacity, and because everything was going to be compressed, anyway, I used the max 1.275" COAL. QuickLOAD freaks out about most of those charges, but while I've gotten some use from the software in planning tests and doing comparisons, I've been bitterly disappointed by its frequent gross exaggeration of pressure and muzzle velocity with handgun loads. Just pick some common powders and plug in published handbook loads to see it. Some will work out to be about right, but many (most) will report as dangerously over-pressured with correspondingly inflated muzzle velocities. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what that would be. Even so, I didn't expect to shoot the 12 grain loads, but actually nothing showed any signs of excess pressure, and muzzle velocities increased in an orderly fashion (well below QuickLOAD's predictions). We settled on 11.5gr instead of 12.0gr (1010fps versus 1064fps in the 4.625" Blackhawk) since it was more consistent (sd=12.2 versus sd=27.8).

I think that wraps it up for my binge loading episode. As I told my son, I started doing it because I enjoyed it. I finished doing it because of my completion compulsion problem. :) Going by primers, I loaded 1739 rounds for my son on my single-stage press in about a week. I might load up a few hundred ordinary .45 ACP loads so he can shoot his 625 more, but fortunately we don't have enough brass laying around for me to "complete" anything (except running out of brass, which doesn't entice me for some reason).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom