• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

What’s your load and rifle your shooting? I’m shooting once fired LC range pickups and I’m currently through 3 firings and no signs like this.

Nothing special, a fairly standard load for high power rifle. 24.1 varget with an 80gr loaded long, ar15, wylde chamber.

I have some "practice" brass which usually fails via neck splits, or the occasional case seperation. The last batch I lost count of how many times loaded, maybe 10+. I ended up scrapping it when I moved over the winter. I'm onto a new batch...

When I resize, I use a mic to ensure I'm not overworking the shoulder / sizing too much. Anything is possible, which is why I was checking with the wire.

Nothing special, a fairly standard load for high power rifle. 24.1 varget with an 80gr loaded long, ar15, wylde chamber.
I have some "practice" brass which usually fails via neck splits, or the occasional case seperation. The last batch I lost count of how many times loaded, maybe 10+. I ended up scrapping it when I moved over the winter. I'm onto a new batch...

When I resize, I use a mic to ensure I'm not overworking the shoulder / sizing too much. Anything is possible, which is why I was checking with the wire.
Wow and you said separation was on once fired that’s what peaked my interest. I was thinking hot load or headspace myself but seems you got the bases covered. How much you bumping shoulder?

I'm 24.5gr Varget under 77gr SMK from 18" barrel. It's sub moa and better than me using the rifle. I full resize my brass same as others all the way to nominal with Lee dies and only load to mag length. You don't need to get crazy to get good results. There are very few shooter and guns that can capitalize on anything tighter than MOA ammo.

If you get diligent with hand measuring and loading your powder charges with a high quality scale like a Chargemaster, you will get good results with quality bullets.

Wow and you said separation was on once fired that’s what peaked my interest. I was thinking hot load or headspace myself but seems you got the bases covered. How much you bumping shoulder?

Maybe like 2-3thou.

For the practice brass I referenced, I load 24.0 varget and a (blemished/2nd) 77gr nosler.

80s are designed to be loaded long and fed into the rifle one at a time.

You have to lube 9mm cases? I've been reloading for 3 years making 45 and 357 and never lubed any of them.
You don't HAVE to but it makes resizing easier since 9mm brass is tapered unlike 45 and 357. I don't lube my 9mm brass but I do wear a padded glove for long reloading sessions [laugh]
I don't want to deal with sticky cases getting dirt and other crap attached to it and taking the time to remove the lube etc.

But to each their own. I know plenty of reloaders who lube 9mm brass.

You don't HAVE to but it makes resizing easier since 9mm brass is tapered unlike 45 and 357. I don't lube my 9mm brass but I do wear a padded glove for long reloading sessions [laugh]
I don't want to deal with sticky cases getting dirt and other crap attached to it and taking the time to remove the lube etc.

Thanks was just wondering. I don't reload 9mm so had no idea

I've used Frontier .30 caliber bullets in the past. I don't recall what load I used, but it appears as though the bullets were coming apart; at least from what I've read about the lead swirling on the target.

If I remember correctly, these were fired from a K31 using a reduced load (bullets are plated).

Attachments

• swirls1b.jpg
    swirls1b.jpg
    448.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

I noticed that half degree draft early on from the spec. I suspect even with a light 9mm charge (and by the feel of the re-size on the handle) - these casings belly open like crazy.

Take a fired case (unsized), clean it, and the bullet will fall in almost to the bottom. I just set up a separate Lee Challenger specifically for re-sizing and de-priming (9mm & .44). I've dialed in those dies on the AP just right, like butter, and I don't want any "re-size cranking" on that turret. Overkill maybe - but it works for me.

By the way - that Lee Challenger is a really nice press. :D

I never did when I loaded on a single stage press, but when I started loading them on a progressive there was a lot more effort needed. I took a pile of cases and gave them a quick spray with that One Shot aerosol lube and it was smooth as silk! That spray is no good for bottleneck rifle cases IMO but works great on 9mm.

I never did when I loaded on a single stage press, but when I started loading them on a progressive there was a lot more effort needed. I took a pile of cases and gave them a quick spray with that One Shot aerosol lube and it was smooth as silk! That spray is no good for bottleneck rifle cases IMO but works great on 9mm.

I'm loading handgun rounds on XL650s. I started with the quickshot when I loaded some 357Sig, and was amazed at the difference. I now lube everything, it just makes the loading go smoother, faster, less effort. That's for 9mm, .38spcl, .357mag and .357Sig

I picked up two bags of ClayBusters, CB1078-20, wads yesterday. Friend of mine is VP at a local club, and they maintain some stock. I'll buy some shot from him later this summer, and he guaranteed me that he'll have some 209 primers before I go home. Which means I'll have hulls, (I already have them), wads, shot and primers - time to start learning how to load 20GA.

I'm loading handgun rounds on XL650s. I started with the quickshot when I loaded some 357Sig, and was amazed at the difference. I now lube everything, it just makes the loading go smoother, faster, less effort. That's for 9mm, .38spcl, .357mag and .357Sig
Load on a load master so priming is on the downstroke. Lubing cases makes it much easier to feel priming issues.

Have Been working in the reloading room the last couple nights to get ready for Walls of Steel this weekend! I can’t wait.... gonna do a couple of divisions this time....

Attachments

• DA1632ED-9E12-4E7E-8835-75DB44E6974A.jpeg
    DA1632ED-9E12-4E7E-8835-75DB44E6974A.jpeg
    761.6 KB · Views: 16
  • AADB5D93-321F-4805-9D3B-88F2F4AF15CC.jpeg
    AADB5D93-321F-4805-9D3B-88F2F4AF15CC.jpeg
    695.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 50AC036B-8A01-4895-A22E-CC17A639B798.jpeg
    50AC036B-8A01-4895-A22E-CC17A639B798.jpeg
    662.5 KB · Views: 16
I made a case sorter and decapping bypass device for my Mk7 Evo. Go here to see videos of both:

The case sorter is a Dillon tumbler with a 5 gallon bucket attached and the three stacking shell sorters, 2 with extensions. It’s loud as heck but it’s beats shaking the trays or sorting by hand. I cut the bottom out of the black one and attached the aluminum .380 sorter tray. Now all .380, .223, .22, dirt and stones fall into the bottom catch bucket. It can manage two good handfuls at a time.

The decapping bypass I printed on my 3D printer. The cases get fed into the press in the normal fashion but all I’m doing is decapping. I removed the swage hold down die and bolted the decapping bypass to the head. I found the idea on line for a 1050 and kept tweaking to make it work on my Mk7 Evo. Came out great.

Attachments

• DC3F2AFD-4A82-4862-9D14-0AB47233199A.jpeg
    DC3F2AFD-4A82-4862-9D14-0AB47233199A.jpeg
    419.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 9D33B6C3-92C7-4646-8363-629FF2001E56.jpeg
    9D33B6C3-92C7-4646-8363-629FF2001E56.jpeg
    421.6 KB · Views: 10
  • DED00E6B-BFB3-4FA0-953B-D960BD65DD86.jpeg
    DED00E6B-BFB3-4FA0-953B-D960BD65DD86.jpeg
    452.3 KB · Views: 10
I cleaned 50 lbs of lead and made however many 9mm that are in this dish.

XLY6eXr.jpeg

Just fell into 1000 each 185 grain cast lswc for 45acp. I've neveroaded 185s only 200 and 230. I'm reading 3.6 to 4.0 grains bullseye is the range I should be in but hear may have cycling issues as it may need a lighter spring. Using in a sig 1911. Anyone ever have issues cycling a stock 1911 with 185 grain projos?

Back
Top Bottom