What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Does factory ammo close?
Yes, just my reloads don’t. I’ve had one or two that do, but that’s it.

My sizing die meets the ram when it’s up so it cams over, all cases are trimmed to 1.740-ish before sizing, and they stick up the tiniest fraction out of the case gauge, but I’m not sure how to get it any tighter if my sizing die is as far as it can go? It’s maybe 1/32 out the end of the gauge.

Still learning necked cases and the Lyman handbooks aren’t that detailed where it’s every little step, so not really sure what I’m doing 🤷🏼‍♂️

I still have the same issue where the bolt won’t close and they seem so close in spec and fit in the cartridge gauge, I don’t understand where the issue lies. Does anyone have any suggestions?
That is what a full body size die is for. Screw it more in so it will shorten fire formed brass by a .002”.

If factory ammo closes on fine - set the die to press neck down to that exact size, fire it, measure neck again and set die to a .002” in. Simple enough process.

Once you fired and ran all brass through the die you can trim all cases to a same length.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, is anyone here making their own .45 Super? Other than the needing the actual brass for .45 Super, what would I need to make it run in my Colt Competition 1911? What weight is the most optimal, 185 and Hornady XTP's and would 200 grain hardcast work as well? Could regular .45 ACP be used in a gun set up for .45 Super?

Just out of curiosity, is anyone here making their own .45 Super? Other than the needing the actual brass for .45 Super, what would I need to make it run in my Colt Competition 1911? What weight is the most optimal, 185 and Hornady XTP's and would 200 grain hardcast work as well? Could regular .45 ACP be used in a gun set up for .45 Super?

I'm pretty sure the only difference between plain old .45 acp and super is the amount of material in the webbing of the case head.
The outside dimensions are the same, but I'd verify that by way of specs. Can't tell you off the top of my head what books would have it, but it came out in the early 80's if I remember correctly.
185's and 200's will work, I think @whacko loads those.

There was a .45 super-mag, which I think was a rimless .45 winchester federal but thats about as exotic as they get for that.

I'm pretty sure the only difference between plain old .45 acp and super is the amount of material in the webbing of the case head.
The outside dimensions are the same, but I'd verify that by way of specs. Can't tell you off the top of my head what books would have it, but it came out in the early 80's if I remember correctly.

There was a .45 super-mag, which I think was a rimless .45 winchester federal but thats about as exotic as they get for that.
I load alot of 185 and 200 grain lead swc but never in 45 super just 45acp.

I've actually never heard of 45 super.

Made 20 38 148 hbwc to try out see how they run
I have a ton of wadcutters on the shelf been meaning to load up a bunch but I've been concentrating on 45acp and 44mag lately.....hell.....that reminds me I'm running low on 357 mag as well and should load some of that too.....

Only so many hours in a day. 😁

I have a ton of wadcutters on the shelf been meaning to load up a bunch but I've been concentrating on 45acp and 44mag lately.....hell.....that reminds me I'm running low on 357 mag as well and should load some of that too.....

Only so many hours in a day. 😁
Buddy of mine gave me these first time loading wad cutters see how they do

38 Wadcutters are easy. Plenty of neck tension to hold em in place....when running the crimp just take the bell out so they fit in the cylinder.
I haven’t loaded any wadcutters in years. They don’t run well in my 1873 and I don’t shoot the Marlin as much.
I think I’m going to load some

Also the 45 Winchester Magnum used in the LAR Grizzley 1911oid.

I've actually never heard of 45 super.

It was one of those things in the 80's where there was a mad rush to make the next big thing.
Right around the same time that alien movie came out that featured some dude using a 454 casull.
Imagine being some firearms designer/ gunsmith, ripping a like of blow and "I HAVE A GODDAM AWESOME IDEA!!!!" and away it went, but never really took off

Its .45 acp on mild steroids, with more meat in the web and reduced case capacity to push 230's up to or past the +P mark. Its before the .400 corbon stuff and whatever else people tried to neck down.

Pretty interesting articles out there on it-

Im sure @Michael J. Spangler probably has some old handloading/guns and ammo mags with articles.

It was one of those things in the 80's where there was a mad rush to make the next big thing.
Right around the same time that alien movie came out that featured some dude using a 454 casull.
Imagine being some firearms designer/ gunsmith, ripping a like of blow and "I HAVE A GODDAM AWESOME IDEA!!!!" and away it went, but never really took off

Its .45 acp on mild steroids, with more meat in the web and reduced case capacity to push 230's up to or past the +P mark. Its before the .400 corbon stuff and whatever else people tried to neck down.

Pretty interesting articles out there on it-

Im sure @Michael J. Spangler probably has some old handloading/guns and ammo mags with articles.
Might have a little info on it. There was also the 451 Detonics which was cut down .308 or 30-06 reamed out. Heavy brass to push basically 45 super loads.

Then the all mighty 460 Rowland. Case is 1/16” longer but loaded to the same oal as 45 ACP. It runs pressure like the 44 mag.

Conversions are done on glocks, 1911s M&Ps. You can ream out a 625 revolver 1/16” deeper and run the 460 Rowland in it. Moon clipped of course

Well the .32 Win Spec I reloaded went well.

All chambered and fired fine except a few where they overcrimped because my die worked itself tighter as I didn’t torque the lockring enough.

Confident enough now to continue with that.

My other issue is the .223 I reloaded. I received primed cases from a friend who got them from a friend and after a couple issues, I ended up trimming and resizing them all.

I still have the same issue where the bolt won’t close and they seem so close in spec and fit in the cartridge gauge, I don’t understand where the issue lies. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Is your press designed to “cam” over?
Its time to actually see what is wrong with the brass.
Most cartridge gauges only show head space and case length.
Seeing you bottom out your die and adjust to “cam” over its possible your pushing the shoulder down and bulging the area just where the shoulder and case body meet,
Also could have been shot from a very loose chamber and you need what is called a small base die which will get deeper down the case body/web area
Honeslty though if you where able to get the primers out and reuse , toss that brass.
223 brass even now is not hard to come by.
So break out the calipers and start checking the brass the best you can

Im more bothered by the fact that i mixed Fed brass with Win brass. And got a couple spp brass in the mix which slowed things down a bit.

That spp crap gets tossed on rt24 in hopes of getting lodged in someones tires .
If you are around 24 you're not too far
A couple of my designs:

As far as SPP 45ACP - smashing it gleefully with a hammer isn't a horrible enough death for it.

Back
Top Bottom