• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Agreed. I should say I intentionally set off primers🤣. Hammer + screwdriver on my basement floor...
After tens upon tens of thousands of rounds loaded, never set one off on the press. Hope to keep it that way 😂
I was well aware that this is a super stupid thing to do but it had never been a problem until today. I had a few mangled primers in 9mm cases because of crimped primer pockets. I was unable to seat them and since they were jammed in half way I could not deprime them. So I figured I’d detonate them as usual (safety glasses always). So on the third case I felt something hit my forehead and I was like well that was a little sting but whatever and went about my business. But then felt a “wet” sensation on my forehead and touched it and damn! blood pouring down my face. Aw f***.
My wife brought me to the ER even though I told her the bleeding might stop. She was like hell no 😂

Long story short the “cut” was almost impossible to locate on my forehead. After some careful examination in the mirror at the hospital I found it. Literally like a paper cut. But boy did the blood pour out.

Needless to say I won’t be doing that again. I just don’t want to throw out brass with partially seated live primers, into the trash.

I suppose maybe I could try firing them in a gun but I wonder if they would even chamber since the brass wont be able to lay flat against the breech face.

Or just soak them in windex or something to kill the primer

Does anything kill a modern primer permanently without igniting the compound? Windex does? I was under the impression that after the compound dries out, it will tend to be ignitable again.

I wouldn't shoot them in a gun. Even if they chambered, you might perforate the primer. This not good for the striker. I don't like to set them off inside or out, especially outside since they are kind of loud for the burbs. I confess I did toss one in the trash the other day (forgive me father, for I have sinned), but I think the best thing for me to do is put it in the dud can at the range, though I don't know how the range deals with those.

Does anything kill a modern primer permanently without igniting the compound? Windex does? I was under the impression that after the compound dries out, it will tend to be ignitable again.

I wouldn't shoot them in a gun. Even if they chambered, you might perforate the primer. This not good for the striker. I don't like to set them off inside or out, especially outside since they are kind of loud for the burbs. I confess I did toss one in the trash the other day (forgive me father, for I have sinned), but I think the best thing for me to do is put it in the dud can at the range, though I don't know how the range deals with those.
Yeah you might be right on the windex thing. I’ve tested them after soaking for days and they didn’t go off. BUT I didn’t let them dry for days either.
Good idea on the dud can. I’ll probably do that

I was well aware that this is a super stupid thing to do but it had never been a problem until today. I had a few mangled primers in 9mm cases because of crimped primer pockets. I was unable to seat them and since they were jammed in half way I could not deprime them. So I figured I’d detonate them as usual (safety glasses always). So on the third case I felt something hit my forehead and I was like well that was a little sting but whatever and went about my business. But then felt a “wet” sensation on my forehead and touched it and damn! blood pouring down my face. Aw f***.
My wife brought me to the ER even though I told her the bleeding might stop. She was like hell no 😂

Long story short the “cut” was almost impossible to locate on my forehead. After some careful examination in the mirror at the hospital I found it. Literally like a paper cut. But boy did the blood pour out.

Needless to say I won’t be doing that again. I just don’t want to throw out brass with partially seated live primers, into the trash.

I suppose maybe I could try firing them in a gun but I wonder if they would even chamber since the brass wont be able to lay flat against the breech face.

I was super careful at first with mangled primers and cases. The learning curve seemed very steep on the first go round.
Prime three, mess up one. Prime five mess up one. Every time one went in sideways or cockeyed I'd have to disassemble the priming machine, remove the shell holder and stuck case, then trot out to the shed of doom with a hammer and punch.
I'm sure it would have been hilarious to see me knocking them out. Everything at arms length, head turned, eyes squinted.
Hammered the crap out of several. None went off.

Oh and those tiny wounds can bleed quite a bit if in just the right spot. A wire coming off a wire wheel can poke just that spot it seems.

I was super careful at first with mangled primers and cases. The learning curve seemed very steep on the first go round.
Prime three, mess up one. Prime five mess up one. Every time one went in sideways or cockeyed I'd have to disassemble the priming machine, remove the shell holder and stuck case, then trot out to the shed of doom with a hammer and punch.
I'm sure it would have been hilarious to see me knocking them out. Everything at arms length, head turned, eyes squinted.
Hammered the crap out of several. None went off.

Oh and those tiny wounds can bleed quite a bit if in just the right spot. A wire coming off a wire wheel can poke just that spot it seems.
Lol. Well I figured out a much safer option. If I loosen the shell plate so it wobbles, there’s enough play for me to slide the case with the protruding primer, into place and then deprime.
Doh! Not sure why I didn’t think of this before.

Although then I have a mangled primer…🤔
Not sure if it will fit in a primer pocket afterwards but I’ll have to see

Last edited:

Holy Sh@t !!!!

Glad u are ok. I've got a pile of mangled/squished primed brass I have accumulated over the years. I label the ammo can "Fix/Kill". Put them in them in there and then procrastinate....if u do it long enough, they'll become someone else problem 😉

I can imagine the check in at the ER...."sir, what were you doing that may have caused this cut ?"

Andrew - "Ummm....Nothing"
Andrew's Wife - "He was doing some stupid shit in the basement like he always does"

😁

I have used my Lee decapping die to push out mangled primers...so far none have gone off, even the sideways ones...
And some smartass at my club threw a handful of primed cases in the burn barrel when we were burning old targets and stuff.
Makes an impressive blast and blows sh!t out the top of the barrel...:D

I had a few mangled primers in 9mm cases because of crimped primer pockets.
Glad you’re okay.
I have used my Lee decapping die to push out mangled primers
This. For me it’s been .223/5.56 primers that get mashed from not completely removing the crimp. Never had a primer go boom.

As long as groups don’t open up it’ll be easier on the rifle and being a little slower gives more time to spot misses. Plus I wanted to play with the new Autotrickler 😂
autotrickler is really cool. but i am not sure if i will have a patience to deal with one. plus, i get to an opinion that a mere .2gr powder deviation on a 30gr load does not really mean that much at all. i stick for now with a 30.7-30.8gr loads there, as my dillon drops that quite consistently.
it would be an interesting thing to see what factual improvement of a barrel longevity can a 100fps drop provide, if any. said larue claims 10k shots accuracy for its barrels, and you shoot there some loads at 3k fps, but, i guess that 10k is more of a marketing gimmick than a reality, and any barrel, no matter the speed truly lives 2-3k shots, 2800fps or 3000fps no matter.

You went to the emergency room for a paper cut?

You went to the emergency room for a paper cut?
Well, I was thinking it, and you said it. I think perhaps Andrew needs an editor. "Let's remove this part about you not being able to find this tiny cut. Just say they didn't think it needed any stitches."
Tough crowd around here [laugh]
It was the size of a paper cut but blood was POURING down my face. I wanted to wait for the bleeding to stop to assess but my wife insisted we go to the ER...
It wasn't until I was at the ER and removed the rag, that I noticed the cut was VERY small. But holy f*** was there a lot of blood. The nurse said there's so many blood vessels on the forehead that it doesn't take much for blood to pour out lol

It was the size of a paper cut but blood was POURING down my face.
It is ok, we understand. Some people freak out when they see a tiny spider, others when they have a paper cut. 🤗😘🤗😘 (XOXO)

7/27/2022 - the day Andrew almost joined Harambe.

We are glad you made it, NES wouldn't be the same without you.

It was the size of a paper cut but blood was POURING down my face. I wanted to wait for the bleeding to stop to assess but my wife insisted we go to the ER...
It wasn't until I was at the ER and removed the rag, that I noticed the cut was VERY small. But holy f*** was there a lot of blood. The nurse said there's so many blood vessels on the forehead that it doesn't take much for blood to pour out lol
So you had two important lessons
1 - head wounds bleed like a MF
2 - the wife needn't know unless you're feeling woozy

Recently purchased a CZ P-01 omega and just installed the Cajun Gun Works kit with old style trigger. Polished a couple parts per their instructions and watched a YouTube tutorial for the kit install. Was pretty easy overall thanks to the guides—two beer job. Lok grips should be delivered soon to complete the pistol.

Can’t wait to take it to the range.

Attachments

• B99D2DB5-D59E-4627-80FE-51771C0C41CF.jpeg
    B99D2DB5-D59E-4627-80FE-51771C0C41CF.jpeg
    467.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 1AA6F85A-EA33-43D1-9A1C-46B83D3307EB.jpeg
    1AA6F85A-EA33-43D1-9A1C-46B83D3307EB.jpeg
    308.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 39357F69-DF41-4B46-B1D9-C18E607657E8.jpeg
    39357F69-DF41-4B46-B1D9-C18E607657E8.jpeg
    312.4 KB · Views: 17
Pin shoots tonight. Got the 629 with some cast 240 grainers and 11 grains unique. Loaded 6 rounds but only a shooting 5 to clear the table (I'm having a good night). A little bit of crimp jump going on with the 6th round I'm unloading lol. Didn't jam the gun......and I'm crimping them pretty heavy. I'm not concerned just thought I'd post pix for the interest.

20220728_193240.jpg

Back
Top Bottom