What did you do in the reloading room recently?

LOL, another 1000 bullets just arrived.

Mail guy again "are you ordering rocks every other week"

Me "I dont know man, the wife does her thing, it comes under my name because I get points for using my card"

Mail guy "but what is it?"

Me "Not sure. Mostly arts and craft junk"

I think he is starting to catch up after a few years.

Next week I have a few thousand pieces of brass arriving, that will make some noise. Last time he thought it was nails and I agreed with him.

LOL ... glad I dont have to order again for a while.

Me "I dont know man, the wife does her thing, it comes under my name because I get points for using my card"

Next week I have a few thousand pieces of brass arriving, that will make some noise. Last time he thought it was nails and I agreed with him.

Your mail guy glows.

My Mail guy is super cool and well aware,he calls it freedom food… He backs his truck all the way in the driveway and knows the wife is always home so he makes sure it gets inside the garage…

My Mail guy is super cool and well aware,he calls it freedom food… He backs his truck all the way in the driveway and knows the wife is always home so he makes sure it gets inside the garage…
My mail guy is great. Problem is noisy neighbors.

He usually pulls in half way between houses and there is this old guy that is always talking to him or there is someone else grabbing a box, so I can't just say "yeah, bullets bro".

Besides, it is none of his damn business what I get, I dont know who he talks to.

My mail delivery woman over the past several years was awesome. Around 2015-16 i was buying up tons of soft lead bars off of cast boolits for about $1.10 / lb . Always shipped bars in the usps sfrb's . My mail lady would always deliver up my driveway and put them on my porch stairs. Never complained i must have bought 800 # of lead usps. I gave her a $80 cash xmas card. This is just my raw lead, not counting the 90,000 of projectiles that i bought over the years as well.

Looks like Xtreme is the best deal on 30 carbine bullets. They’re on sale now - thanks to ddeck for the tip

I've been buying plated bullets from XTreme for a while now. I love the way their page shows availability. Deliveries show up promptly, product is consistent.

I've been buying plated bullets from XTreme for a while now. I love the way their page shows availability. Deliveries show up promptly, product is consistent.
Cabelas has started stocking them. Of course, the price is high, but they have kind of edged out Berry’s for shelf space.

My order from Sunday night shipped yesterday and should be here next Friday. So, not quick but I don’t need them tomorrow so I’m fine with it.

Box of brass arrived today.

I go to get it and the noisy old man is taking to the USPS guy.

He asks "are those chains and nails"

"yeah man, you should see her craft area looks like Joann Fabrics". [rofl]

Code:
75 gr. V-MAX®
Item No. 22420
C.O.L.: 2.095"
G1 B.C.: 0.330
                VELOCITY (FPS – feet per second)
POWDER   2600    2700    2800     2900     2950     3000
H4895      26.1 gr. 26.9 gr. 27.8 gr. 28.6 gr. 29.0 gr. 29.4 gr.
Funny enough is exactly what I’m loading, 75gr V-MAX. I want to load some 58gr screamers and 103 ELDx for coyotes. Most of these powders are still hard to source. I just happened have a jug of 4895 so that's what I’m working with.

9A753D63-E824-4F92-9C90-9D1B15FC76BF.jpeg

Last edited:
Bullets delivered today for 30 carbine. Berry's plated and says rated for 2000 fps. I have brass tumbling now and set the dies up by making a dummy round. Should be good to make 20 test rounds in a couple hours once the brass is clean. Much more effort to get them through the sizing die than what I'm used to with pistol cal. I'll lube every 5th case according to the die instructions that's the way to do it. I'm going with very little crimp as it's a plated projo. Well see how the test batch runs later this weekend.

Going with 14 grains h110.

Any tips from you 30 carbine guys before I get going?

20220805_162155.jpg

I have a delivery coming tomorrow that'll make the ups guy scratch his head for sure. About a years worth of 357 and 45acp projos. 😂😂😂

Bullets delivered today for 30 carbine. Berry's plated and says rated for 2000 fps. I have brass tumbling now and set the dies up by making a dummy round. Should be good to make 20 test rounds in a couple hours once the brass is clean. Much more effort to get them through the sizing die than what I'm used to with pistol cal. I'll lube every 5th case according to the die instructions that's the way to do it. I'm going with very little crimp as it's a plated projo. Well see how the test batch runs later this weekend.

Going with 14 grains h110.

View attachment 646560
Nice. Ya keep an eye on the case length. Trim length is 1.280" and max length is 1.290"

Amazon product ASIN B000O7D718View: https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-Carbine-Gauge-Holder/dp/B000O7D718

Amazon product ASIN B00162PVJQView: https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-90275-Trimmer-Cutter/dp/B00162PVJQ/ref=pd_lpo_5?pd_rd_i=B00162PVJQ&psc=1

Amazon product ASIN B000NOQIOUView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NOQIOU/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Amazon product ASIN B004MCMCYEView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MCMCYE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teUjyhY5pHA

Funny enough is exactly what I’m loading, 75gr V-MAX. I want to load some 58gr screamers and 103 ELDx for coyotes. Most of these powders are still hard to source. I just happened have a jug of 4895 so that's what I’m working with.

View attachment 646550
If you were closer I have H335 and CFE
Grab a burn rate chart and see what you have that is close to one of the listed powders.
Then use Gordon's reloading tool or Quickload to calculate a starting load

The brass he gave me to use is once fired. I measured a few......coming in at 1.279 to 1.283 on my calipers.

Generally.....how many times can you reload the brass before its time to trim?
Gotcha. Should be good then assuming that’s the length after resizing not before.
It really depends. I’ve had some that needed to be trimmed first time around and some the second time.
It’s a PITA but I don’t want an OOB firing

Gotcha. Should be good then assuming that’s the length after resizing not before.
It really depends. I’ve had some that needed to be trimmed first time around and some the second time.
It’s a PITA but I don’t want an OOB firing
20 rounds for testing. How's the crimp look in your opinion? 20220805_213009.jpg20220805_213028.jpg20220805_213036.jpg

If you were closer I have H335 and CFE
Grab a burn rate chart and see what you have that is close to one of the listed powders.
Then use Gordon's reloading tool or Quickload to calculate a starting load
I always learn stuff in this thread, I'm only about 24 months into reloading. I didn't even know this existed, I literally only follow exact recipes from published guides. It seems obvious that you could use a burn rate tool, it never dawned on me this was a thing. Thank you!

As the .30 Carbine head spaces on the mouth, you'll want to have all cases trimmed to length appropriately. I tend to lube slightly, even with a carbide sizer as it makes things go a lot smoother. I usually flare to make seating easier and taper crimp only. Enjoy.

You can get FMJ bullets from at least one source, you know (I'll PM you to avoid conflicts).

I always learn stuff in this thread, I'm only about 24 months into reloading. I didn't even know this existed, I literally only follow exact recipes from published guides. It seems obvious that you could use a burn rate tool, it never dawned on me this was a thing. Thank you!
Not something to do if you aren't very comfortable with reloading.
You also should be comfortable with rodding a bullet out of barrel if you screw up the minimum charge badly.

But similar burn rate powders of the same type (single or double base) can get you going with the help of one of the two internal ballistics calculators

As the .30 Carbine head spaces on the mouth, you'll want to have all cases trimmed to length appropriately. I tend to lube slightly, even with a carbide sizer as it makes things go a lot smoother. I usually flare to make seating easier and taper crimp only. Enjoy.

You can get FMJ bullets from at least one source, you know (I'll PM you to avoid conflicts).
Thanks. I used my calipers after sizing and flaring and all cases were under max. Seems like 30 carbine is a bit of a pain in the ass 😂

Not something to do if you aren't very comfortable with reloading.
You also should be comfortable with rodding a bullet out of barrel if you screw up the minimum charge badly.

But similar burn rate powders of the same type (single or double base) can get you going with the help of one of the two internal ballistics calculators
Yeah, its interesting but I'm not ready to swap powders. I'm still using all new brass because I don't fully understand the sizing and trimming. Its next on my list of things to conquer, I'm sitting on thousands of rounds of once fired brass. The depth of reloading is pretty crazy, I started during the beginning of the stupid COVID thing so I could not benefit from reloading classes.

Yeah, its interesting but I'm not ready to swap powders. I'm still using all new brass because I don't fully understand the sizing and trimming. Its next on my list of things to conquer, I'm sitting on thousands of rounds of once fired brass. The depth of reloading is pretty crazy, I started during the beginning of the stupid COVID thing so I could not benefit from reloading classes.
Sizing and trimming is easy but that case is not a "beginner" case.
The large difference in diameter from the case body to neck means you need to be careful on lube type and amount. Too little and get stuck cases. Too much and the shoulders get lube dings or buckle.
Trimming is brain dead work that just takes time AFTER sizing the case.

Back
Top Bottom