What do I got here - corrosion??

Pants

NES Member
I bought three older LE boxes of Hydra Shoks last week. I already shot a box, no function issues, but I did not notice this white paste on the bullets. It's liquid, so it's not hard and it wipes right off. Anyone know what this is? You think it's safe to shoot?

Attachments

• IMG_20141120_060945.jpg
    IMG_20141120_060945.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_20141120_061051.jpg
    IMG_20141120_061051.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 207
Looks like lead oxide to me, but I don't know why it would be liquid. Were the boxes of ammunition wet? Water can help corrode lead into lead oxide.

No clue if they were wet, I bought them from someone, not an LGS. I opened one box, checked a couple out they were fine.

I've got some 20 year old 38 special that I've stored in a drawer in one room of my house the entire time and when I looked at it recently it had grown some too and hadn't been wet or exposed to water. It just occurs naturally over time.

Now be careful with that stuff because its very toxic. You want to be sure to thoroughly wash your hands and everything else that may have come in contact with it.

I bought three older LE boxes of Hydra Shoks last week. I already shot a box, no function issues, but I did not notice this white paste on the bullets. It's liquid, so it's not hard and it wipes right off. Anyone know what this is? You think it's safe to shoot?
FAP FAP?

Now be careful with that stuff because its very toxic.

Whatever you do, DON'T wipe it down. If it is really that toxic, it should be the first one down the pipe of your home defense gun if you hear a bump in the night. Just imagine; you get a quick shot off in the dark and he takes off. So maybe it is only a flesh wound. He can still get a Darwin Award for trying to theive from an NESer's house.

[party]

hmm apparently the white stuff is lead carbonate the stuff that made white lead paint white. Lead oxides tend to be colored powders red,yellow,and black.

hmm apparently the white stuff is lead carbonate the stuff that made white lead paint white. Lead oxides tend to be colored powders red,yellow,and black.

You are correct. I was thinking of white lead, and I knew that the Titanium replacement for white lead in paint was titanium dioxide so I figured it would be lead oxide, bad guess on my part.

Back
Top Bottom