• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What do you do with old climbers and stands found on public?

DJBrad

NES Member
I even seen lots of old hardware stuck in deep woods. Dcr, public, etc. Do you guys call the rangers and/or epo and let them know?

When I’m talking old I mean cloth material that is torn or shredded, steel that is clearly years old with rust and worn powder coats, tree spikes that shouldn’t even be there as they penetrate the tree, and nailed in 2x4’s.

The abandoned stands drive me nuts. Even if you use it every year, you should pull it out at the end of the season. I think it is one of the worst forms of hunter littering. I am embarrassed to say that I follow the "hunter code" and do not touch it unless it has fallen down and actually started to deteriorate. I have been tempted to yank them out but the consensus is to leave it if it is not yours. One piece of woods I frequent, has at least seven I know of in a 40 to 50 acre area. They have all been there for at least five years. Even if they are used, sooner or later the hunter is going to abandon it; guaranteed.

Quite frankly, if I were the DCR I would be so pissed that I would tell folks no permanent stands in Public woods. Carry it in and carry it out on the day of your hunt. And yes, that is what I do. I used to have some permanent stands. Hated pulling them out, but I did.

I will probably get crushed for these comments :) Pete

There some things in this world worth getting pissed about. Someone left a tree stand in the woods? Nope. Not something I’m going to get worked up about.

Sometimes people leave climbers in the tree so they don't have to carry them around. Sometimes they are crappy because they can't afford new ones.
Sometimes people leave them and pass away, move or forget where they are.

I'm with M1911 on this.

I certainly have no reason or desire to touch another’s personal property. Yes, there are bigger problems in the world and bigger fish to fry. Purely on the point of conservation and protection I would like to see the debris removed.

A lot of DCR land is former farm land and I see tons of old equipment. I’m pretty sure I came across the back end of a 50’s pickup on one piece of land. I’ve seen transmissions and farm equipment aplenty. I’ve seen numerous old glass bottles and porcelain dishes always sitting in a small sunken hole.

I even seen lots of old hardware stuck in deep woods. Dcr, public, etc. Do you guys call the rangers and/or epo and let them know?

No. Never. I see old stands all the time. Odds are these people got old and stopped hunting or let the equipment degrade and its not worth it to take it out. (Though they should)

Quite frankly, if I were the DCR I would be so pissed that I would tell folks no permanent stands in Public woods. Carry it in and carry it out on the day of your hunt. And yes, that is what I do. I used to have some permanent stands. Hated pulling them out, but I did.

I will probably get crushed for these comments :) Pete

Id be with you on this. Unfortunately some cant use climbers or sticks. Or they are so out of shape they really shouldnt.

Same here. Ive pulled them out. And over the years got sick of hanging them and pulling them out. Especially
Spots that didn’t produce anything.

I have one stand on public now and it will be pulled down this week as its too close to houses for gun hunting.
its my before or after work hope and pray I see one stand. Its not in a great spot, but its for calling and
Its better than spending the last hour on the couch

Now I use a climber unless im on private land. But as I get older, im sick of buying and maintaining stands. Id rather carry in carry out.
Im getting my run and gun stuff together more and more.

Would you report a poacher? How is this any different? Breaking the law, not playing by the rules, that's detrimental to us all.

I defer to the landowner. I ask them (could be a private, a land trust, or Mass Wildlife for example) - if I observe an illegal stand (punctures the tree or I've witnessed it on the woods beyond 30 days) do you want to know about it or do you not care? I have yet to have a landowner tell me they don't care. So in my post-season scouting, if I see stands that are illegal, I take a pic and GPS coordinates and pass along to the landowner. From there - whatever action they choose to take - is on them. I'm not touching someone else's equipment. Enforcing the law isn't on me. I'm just a 3rd party in the situation. But the landowner has EVERY right. They've always been appreciative for the info. Most of the time - nothing happens and the stands are still there a year later. Sometimes, they get taken down. MAss Wildlife is actually pretty good about that.

One thing is for sure, sloppy hunters give all of us a bad rep. That hurts our chances of gaining access in the future. So yea - if you're doing something that is going to make it more difficult for the honest folks, I'm going to shine a light on that. I think the woods would be a better place if we all did the same.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom