WHAT DO YOU HATE THE MOST ABOUT COLT 1911s YES EVEN THE OLDER SERIES 70 GUNS ?????

What I hate most is the rising prices for them
Inflation hits any full steel gun hard. Worse yet the prices will never fully recede, either.
OH HELL YES!
Nicely done sir
100 points
Now take a moment and really let your feelings out......let it flow just let it all come out.......LOL
Actually in the next month or so I think we're ready for another "your gun sucks" thread... lol

When do I get to officially claim my Fudd status?
Is there a minimum age or is it by how many 1911s I have?
Or maybe it's those really ugly but sensible shoes I wear?
I need to know

1911s in general? Old, shitty stupid f***img swinging link bullshit design. Stupid f***ing staked plunger tubes. USGI sights = worst sights ever put on a handgun, "Controlled Feed" translation = gun jams if everything isn't perfect. Stupid f***ing internal design. The looks, ergonomics and trigger are what make it absolutely iconic, rest of it is a horror show/dumpster fire. The problem is as an archetype nothing comes close on the first three terms. Which is why i still like 1911s even though they're fundamentally a piece of shit. It's the gun equivalent of a drop dead 25 yr old redhead with nice tits and ass but turns into a f***ing psychopath if shes not on her "meds". Thats what a 1911 is.
I knew I loved 1911s for a reason!

I had a 1911 years ago that had a polymer frame
I think it was Bul or something like that.
Now come on .......a plastic frame 1911 has got to break every rule period

When do I get to officially claim my Fudd status?
Is there a minimum age or is it by how many 1911s I have?
Or maybe it's those really ugly but sensible shoes I wear?
I need to know
Fudd is a state of mind. Just claim no one needs an AR because they aren’t good for hunting and you will have become one.

In a word, 1911s suck.

Over hyped, over rated, overweight, overpriced, etc.

First fired one as a teenager in the late 1960s -- yeah, it was wicked cool then -- but really got to know its quirks while in the army in the mid-1970s.

Carried a Combat Commander on and off when I first got my MA LTC is 1976. It was essentially the devil that I knew, although I really preferred the sleek, light and reliable S&W model 37.

Have owned and experienced many more examples of 1911s since then. More disappointed than not in every case, although accuracy was never an issue.

If one can free themselves from the insidious bondage of glorified 1911 folklore and the beatification of John Moses Browning (his own self!), then the inevitable conclusion is that there are far better options out there.

To the OP's question... What I hate most about 1911s is the endless sh*t-river flow of regurgitated fairy-tale tripe that continues to exalt this over-rated antique.

In a word, 1911s suck.

First fired one as a teenager in the late 1960s -- yeah, it was wicked cool then -- but really got to know its quirks while in the army in the mid-1970s.

Carried a Combat Commander on and off when I first got my MA LTC is 1976. It was essentially the devil that I knew, although I really preferred the sleek, light and reliable S&W model 37.

Have owned and experienced many more examples of 1911s since then. More disappointed than not in every case, although accuracy was never an issue.

If one can free themselves from the insidious bondage of glorified 1911 folklore and the beatification of John Moses Browning (his own self!), then the inevitable conclusion is that there are far better options out there.

To the OP's question... What I hate most about 1911s is the endless sh*t-river flow of regurgitated fairy-tale tripe that continues to exalt this over-rated antique.
That was awesome
Another great let it all out reply and with many good points made.

In a word, 1911s suck.

What are you doing? Constructive sh!t-posting only. [pot]

1647567686774.png

It's time I just said it and even as I type this I'm also saying it out loud...........LOL .......oh man I am just having too much fun here .....sorry.
I love 1911s and I'm not ashamed of that in any way
There are not many Colts that I like but hell yes I love the 1911
Well now there......I've said it and it just feels so darn filthy ass bite your bottom lip good👍
P.S. yes I'm 100% bat shit crazy like that.

In a word, 1911s suck.

What are you doing? Constructive sh!t-posting only. [pot]

Damn it! You beat me to it! …and here I was gonna ask @cams how he feels about the iconic work horse…

Wouldn’t some people consider the multiple caliber options innovation? Isn’t that sorta the definition of innovation?
yes. I understand that both of my original points will be considered as positives by some, and that's ok but to me, 45ACP is the essence of 1911. It's the marriage of these two things that made this gun so special

I have two problems with 1911:
  • Some genius thought that it's a good idea to make 1911 in 22LR, 9MM, 10MM, 40MM, and every other damn caliber under the sun! 45ACP is the ONLY appropriate caliber for 1911!
  • Lack of innovation. The resurgence of 1911 during the 1990's AWB has caused detrimental stagnation in 45 caliber guns. Why bring technology to 45CP space if the USA is the only country that shoots it? Oh, and everyone in the USA who like 45ACP only buys 1911s.
Some may see them as advantages but I don't

1911 in 40mm?

1911s in general? Old, shitty stupid f***img swinging link bullshit design. Stupid f***ing staked plunger tubes. USGI sights = worst sights ever put on a handgun, "Controlled Feed" translation = gun jams if everything isn't perfect. Stupid f***ing internal design. The looks, ergonomics and trigger are what make it absolutely iconic, rest of it is a horror show/dumpster fire. The problem is as an archetype nothing comes close on the first three terms. Which is why i still like 1911s even though they're fundamentally a piece of shit. It's the gun equivalent of a drop dead 25 yr old redhead with nice tits and ass but turns into a f***ing psychopath if shes not on her "meds". Thats what a 1911 is.
But nobody gets 1911 hand! :p :p :p

Attachments

• glock hand.jpg
    glock hand.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 12
Is this the start of a boycott on Colt 1911 because someone doesn’t like the sights? With so many options out there who cares?
I’m itching to go play with my Super 38 and I really think my custom Series 70 needs a fresh makeover for 2022.

The worst thing about Colt 1911's is the total lack of straight/flat/parallel surfaces and sharper than a box of razors, also there's that signature rattle.
Yeah also the sights are generally useless and the grips are are usually some kind of spray-tanned pallet wood. Then there's the inconsistency in extractor tension or heat treatment, or the safeties that are mush or so goddamn tight you need a ball peen hammer to re-engage. You have to admire the utter disregard for barrel fit, chamber dimensions, or feed geometry but then again why bother when your breech face is parabolic because the tooling hasn't been checked in three years.

I would never ever ever ever buy a Colt 1911. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone and I would spread the word that the older or rarer they are the worse they are especially the ones from the mid 1930's or early 1950's they are HORRIBLE!
9 out of 10 doctors agree that Colt 1911's cause sporadic impotence and early onset male-pattern-baldness.
Friends don't let friends Colt.

I have personally been on a mission to rid the world of Colt 1911's. These weapons of TWO WORLD WARZzzz have no place on our streets.
I will accept any Colt's for disposal free of charge. 1911's, 1911A1's, Commercials, pre-war, post-war, transitional, series 70/80/1991, M45A1, 2011's, 2019's, government, commanders, officers, carry-comps, long slide, national match, gold cup's, reproduction, bone-stock, full house custom.... I don't discriminate.
You're welcome!

Last edited:
Had a Gold Cup that the plunger tube went south Colt fixed it but took forever to get it b. ack to me. One of the common problems with Colt I think.

OK after pondering this for a bit, the thing I dislike about them is the idea that you are always one brain fart away when reassembling from a nasty and embarrassing gouge on the frame. Fortunately I'm good at now but it can be dicey until you know what you're doing.

On the other hand I do love the character of a 1911. Many guns are objectively better, and I choose to not carry a 1911 but mostly because I only own full size Governments. But the beauty of them can not be denied.

OK after pondering this for a bit, the thing I dislike about them is the idea that you are always one brain fart away when reassembling from a nasty and embarrassing gouge on the frame. Fortunately I'm good at now but it can be dicey until you know what you're doing.

On the other hand I do love the character of a 1911. Many guns are objectively better, and I choose to not carry a 1911 but mostly because I only own full size Governments. But the beauty of them can not be denied.
What is the trick? I have an idiot scratch on my government from first take down. I know some shops round the piece off to make it easier.

Somehow I haven't scratched my compact.

None. You’re wrong. It won 2 World Wars
and served honorably for decades. 😉

View attachment 591704

…but yeah, the G.I. Sights are point and shoot for me.

To be fair, it did NOT win 2 world wars. That would be like saying the aluminum canteen won 2 world wars. Or leggings for that matter.

As far as my gripe - it's the weight-to-capacity issue. I love 1911's. They fit me well. Not as well as some, but well enough. But 8 shots in a 400# package just doesn't do it for me.

Back
Top Bottom