• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WHAT DO YOU HATE THE MOST ABOUT COLT 1911s YES EVEN THE OLDER SERIES 70 GUNS ?????

Damn it! You beat me to it! …and here I was gonna ask @cams how he feels about the iconic work horse…
lol Never owned a Colt 1911, had to qual with them when I first got sent to Uncle Sugars Happy Camp, I thought it was cool but the safety was on the wrong side for me. And to boot (no pun intended) I was also covered in burns on my face and neck from stupid plastic rifle not having a permanent brass deflector invented yet. lol

I have two Sig 1911’s (TacOps and Scorpion). Not a purist like some, i don’t care if the extractor is inside outside or somewhere in the middle and it’s gotta have a rail. I just love them and they work for me.

I look at the iconic 1911 as kind of the American cousin of the AK, I’ve seen them both killing commies (on tv) since I was a kid and it may have imprinted on my squishy little brain like a baby bird or something. But, if someone said I could only have one pistol, I honestly don’t know if I’d keep the .45 or the G45 (9mm). Both are perfect to me.

For some reason looking down the bore of a 1911 seems more intimidating to me than any other .45 ACP.
And herein lies my beef with non-45 caliber 1911: they look wimpy:

iu

On the plus side, the 1911's design is said to have inspired Rube Goldberg...lol
A 1911 makes for a helluva paperweight. Also would be great for pistol whipping. And it only has 50-something parts!
Lol, that's possible but it has certainly inspired almost every other semi-automatic pistol on the market for the past 110 years so there is that.
There are a lot modern guns that are a hell of a lot harder to assemble/disassemble, I can prob do it in under 5 minutes and I am almost a millennial.

FLGRs make junk guns feel better lol....
I have never seen a 1911 that disassembles/reassembles the way my Springfield TRP 10mm long slide does. It uses a closed end reverse plug instead of a bushing (since it is a bull barrel) and a short standard GI guide rod (unlike the 5” which uses an open-end reverse plug with a full length guide rod with the pin hole for the capture “tool”, also know as a bent paper clip). And, since it doesn’t have the FLGR with the pinhole, the recoil spring is completely free, so you are always fighting the recoil spring when disassembling/reassembling the pistol. The first time I slid the slide off the frame I almost launched the spring/guide rod across the room. I quickly learned to wrap my offhand around the slide/dust cover when taking the slide off or putting it back on to keep the spring/guide rod in place.

That the only 70 Series Colt my Dad ever kept was a damn 38 Super lol But it still gets it done and it has the best feel and finish of anything else I own.

The target market audience for a 1911 is first time buyers.

Everyone else knows better after that.
It was definitely my first purchase. But I’ve never lost that love: I’ve bought six others over the years, various sizes and calibers.

It’ll always be my favorite.

ETA: I just remembered where I was posting; only two of those were actually Colts. But.

Last edited:
I honestly think when it comes to the Colt 1911s they are truly a love hate relationship.
I own many of them myself but I always think of the Colt as the Harley Davidson of 1911s
You know it has it's quirks but there is still so much to love and so much history behind it.

Back
Top Bottom