• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WHAT DO YOU HATE THE MOST ABOUT COLT 1911s YES EVEN THE OLDER SERIES 70 GUNS ?????

At those prices, you are better off with an Atlas.

You're not going to be able to convince someone of what 1911 to buy after a point its like a broad telling another woman what purse to buy or something nobody wants the shit all the
same. Like a guy once that I know at a cigar lounge was like grilling me about what 1911 to buy and im like dude after you start getting into the non crap guns over a grand you largely have to decide what you want and so on. I can tell someone a DW (whatever) is a better deal than a (whatever) but honestly none of it matters at that point, its mostly style appeal etc vs
function on high brow shit, assuming were not talking about weird shit like Cabot or something.

It was almost like he was annoyed that I wasnt giving him the answer he wanted to hear. "would you buy a nighthawk XYZ whatever" and then I would say "Dude if I had nitehawk money I would add a bit more and get two dan wessons instead" lol.

1911s are often less rational that most gun purchases anyways. Like I tried to talk a friend in NJ out of buying a Krapber but he got it anyways. "Because Retail" etc.

Nowadays I just tell people to do some reading and then buy whatever they want, because its likely different from whatever I want or some guy on the internet wants.

There is little or nothing practical about a 1911 especially if someone is buying it as a toy. So they need to figure their shit out and pick whatever shit they want. Anything less and they going to be disappointed.

And herein lies my beef with non-45 caliber 1911: they look wimpy:

iu
And they are not dishwasher safe.

thought about this for a while, can't really find any issues with the colt 1911. but...10 years ago i bought a 1911 xse .45acp pistol. the thing works like a champ, very accurate. my only issue is the roll marks on the pistol. looks like the logos were just smushed into the metal, it looks horrible. i was always meaning to give it to a gunsmith to redo the markings but i've never done it.

So for me Colt has always just been a four letter word ....LOL
I did not get the appeal for the longest time but then as I got more into guns over the years I have seen some really beautiful blued Colt 1911s.
My biggest issue is that no matter how tight the fit or how beautiful the finish I just could not get over the absolutely horrible sights they put on most of these guns. I mean especially that tiny ass shitty little nub of a front site and yes even most of the rear sights that looked like a hunk of metal some cut a notch in at home with a hack saw.

What are some of your thoughts or disappointments with this famous Icon of a pistol??
I cant reach the mag release with my short thumbs

Then again, I just don’t see this scene working with anything but a 1911.

For some reason looking down the bore of a 1911 seems more intimidating to me than any other .45 ACP.

From the story that my dad told about running across some Cavalry folks when looking for a spot to p!ss in the Rhine (the town was unsecured), that muzzle looks MUCH larger in real life. [rofl]

Ummm....wut? You literally can't buy or build a more accurate pistol than a match-grade 1911.
I watch some old bullseye shooters with them 38supers and the groups they post are just silly. A few times a year I hang out with a older service pistol shooter and even though is darn near blind he still manages tight groups at 25 and 50 yards.
He says as long as the black blur im shooting at is the correct blur I can hit it. His newest NM pistol was built out in the mid 80s and it such a joy to shoot. Also after shooting one of Greg Derrs builds I can say Its a huge improvement putting groups down range.

1911s in general? Old, shitty stupid f***img swinging link bullshit design. Stupid f***ing staked plunger tubes. USGI sights = worst sights ever put on a handgun, "Controlled Feed" translation = gun jams if everything isn't perfect. Stupid f***ing internal design. The looks, ergonomics and trigger are what make it absolutely iconic, rest of it is a horror show/dumpster fire. The problem is as an archetype nothing comes close on the first three terms. Which is why i still like 1911s even though they're fundamentally a piece of shit. It's the gun equivalent of a drop dead 25 yr old redhead with nice tits and ass but turns into a f***ing psychopath if shes not on her "meds". Thats what a 1911 is.

I think that's pretty much it. The last time I shot one I was happy with the trigger... but the rest of the package.... yikes.

I remember the 1st time I saw someone take a 1911 apart. I just sorta stood there, frowned, was a little confused and looked around. I was blown away by how absolutely retarded that process was. Reminds me of taking a Mosin Nagant bolt apart. Just how much drugs does it take to make an engineer think those breakdowns are ok? Jesus Christ.

The M1911 reminds me a lot of the service pistol I carried, the M9. while the M9 is probably a lot more reliable than a M1911 and it's probably the easiest pistol on Earth to take apart it still in my opinion has a lot of problems. It works like dog shit when it's dirty and the .mil magazines were literal dumpster fires. I remember going to a clearing barrel once getting back on base with my M9. I dropped the mag and a bullet just fell out of the f***ing magazine. The spring was apparently wedged/stuck against the mag body which took all the tension off the follower. So now I had 15 rounds just in the magazine under no tension. That was a known issue with M9 mags and this was like 20+ years after the Army adopted this hunk of f***ing shit. The only "good" thing the M9 has going for it is it's classic pistol look. While it doesn't have as many die hard followers as the M1911, it still has no shortage and it's a complete piece of shit compared to other modern pistols.

I think that's pretty much it. The last time I shot one I was happy with the trigger... but the rest of the package.... yikes.

I remember the 1st time I saw someone take a 1911 apart. I just sorta stood there, frowned, was a little confused and looked around. I was blown away by how absolutely retarded that process was. Reminds me of taking a Mosin Nagant bolt apart. Just how much drugs does it take to make an engineer think those breakdowns are ok? Jesus Christ.

The M1911 reminds me a lot of the service pistol I carried, the M9. while the M9 is probably a lot more reliable than a M1911 and it's probably the easiest pistol on Earth to take apart it still in my opinion has a lot of problems. It works like dog shit when it's dirty and the .mil magazines were literal dumpster fires. I remember going to a clearing barrel once getting back on base with my M9. I dropped the mag and a bullet just fell out of the f***ing magazine. The spring was apparently wedged/stuck against the mag body which took all the tension off the follower. So now I had 15 rounds just in the magazine under no tension. That was a known issue with M9 mags and this was like 20+ years after the Army adopted this hunk of f***ing shit. The only "good" thing the M9 has going for it is it's classic pistol look. While it doesn't have as many die hard followers as the M1911, it still has no shortage and it's a complete piece of shit compared to other modern pistols.
I think any mass built parts swapping platform will have its issues, toss in lowest bidder crap contracts and god bless .
My dad was in the air force and said the jets where millions of dollars but held to gether with lowest bidder $1 parts
Like the 1911 that M9 was mil spec and good enough for GI

The worst thing about Colt 1911's is the total lack of straight/flat/parallel surfaces and sharper than a box of razors, also there's that signature rattle.
Yeah also the sights are generally useless and the grips are are usually some kind of spray-tanned pallet wood. Then there's the inconsistency in extractor tension or heat treatment, or the safeties that are mush or so goddamn tight you need a ball peen hammer to re-engage. You have to admire the utter disregard for barrel fit, chamber dimensions, or feed geometry but then again why bother when your breech face is parabolic because the tooling hasn't been checked in three years.

I would never ever ever ever buy a Colt 1911. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone and I would spread the word that the older or rarer they are the worse they are especially the ones from the mid 1930's or early 1950's they are HORRIBLE!
9 out of 10 doctors agree that Colt 1911's cause sporadic impotence and early onset male-pattern-baldness.
Friends don't let friends Colt.

I have personally been on a mission to rid the world of Colt 1911's. These weapons of TWO WORLD WARZzzz have no place on our streets.
I will accept any Colt's for disposal free of charge. 1911's, 1911A1's, Commercials, pre-war, post-war, transitional, series 70/80/1991, M45A1, 2011's, 2019's, government, commanders, officers, carry-comps, long slide, national match, gold cup's, reproduction, bone-stock, full house custom.... I don't discriminate.
You're welcome!
1647646893138.jpeg

And herein lies my beef with non-45 caliber 1911: they look wimpy:

iu
Like a weightlifter wearing skinny jeans…save the little hole makers for the soy boys and gangsta wannabees. In the words of Colonel Jessup “you can’t handle the 45!”

This is worth watching if you're tempted to flush some money down the 1911 toilet bowl...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W7sb9Zp-8o

Yeah, we have all seen it, but a Colt is not a $3000 pistol, and he is being very charitable to the budget guns. There is a huge difference.
Glocks and Sigs and HK's are fine and I carry one. But a 1911 is classic, especially a Colt.
They are like a Classic car. There are more advanced, improved, and modern cars to drive. You can drive an electric car with a 24" screen, and some people would prefer too. But a nice 1911 is made of steel and wood and designed before injection molding and plastics were common, and some people appreciate the craftsmanship of a nice pistol.
A Glock or comparable pistol is like a Toyota Corolla
A nice 1911 is like...
1647652700651.png
Some people don't appreciate the difference, and that is fine. Some of us do.

I’m down to four 1911s in .45acp and a cute Springer Range Officer in pussies and pansies. I’m in the hunt for a quality .38 Super (or bone stock Colt that can be tuned), mostly for fun and to use the die set I bought 5 years ago😎

I don’t understand the Kimber hate. I’ve only owned Clackamas marked and relatively early Yonkers guns. And a few of the 25th anniversary run. All have run like sewing machines. No use for the series 2 guns. Maybe I’ve been lucky.

FLGRs seem silly to me. Bill Wilson has made a mint selling marketing solutions to non-existent problems, so who am I to argue?

To the 1911 haters-

1) I’ll happily take them off your hands for a fair price.

2) 1911s are the one true faith ❤️

I’m down to four 1911s in .45acp and a cute Springer Range Officer in pussies and pansies. I’m in the hunt for a quality .38 Super (or bone stock Colt that can be tuned), mostly for fun and to use the die set I bought 5 years ago😎

I don’t understand the Kimber hate. I’ve only owned Clackamas marked and relatively early Yonkers guns. And a few of the 25th anniversary run. All have run like sewing machines. No use for the series 2 guns. Maybe I’ve been lucky.

FLGRs seem silly to me. Bill Wilson has made a mint selling marketing solutions to non-existent problems, so who am I to argue?

To the 1911 haters-

1) I’ll happily take them off your hands for a fair price.

2) 1911s are the one true faith ❤️
Very well said

I don't hate anything about my Colt 1911, but I do hate a sentence with more than one question mark. If a sentence ends in 5 question marks does that mean the OP is really really really really really curious?

Back
Top Bottom