WHAT DO YOU HATE THE MOST ABOUT COLT 1911s YES EVEN THE OLDER SERIES 70 GUNS ?????

I can appreciate the looks and history behind the gun, no doubt. I don’t hate any gun that goes boom, but if I wanted a jam-o-matic, I’ll save some money and buy a Keltec. Don’t get me wrong, the 1911 had its time. So did the flintlock, and I don’t buy one of those either. Although I can totally understand people who use one in the army and want one for nostalgic purposes, I think that the weight to capacity ratio disqualifies it as a carry gun nowadays. From a purely practical/efficiency point of view, it’s a turd. The fanboys of the 1911 are worse than the Glock ones, and that’s saying something. it might’ve been cutting edge 100 years ago, but it doesn’t really hold a candle to modern firearms in terms of reliability, and reliability should be numero uno priority on any handgun, except for safe space wasting range toys.

I can appreciate the looks and history behind the gun, no doubt. I don’t hate any gun that goes boom, but if I wanted a jam-o-matic, I’ll save some money and buy a Keltec. Don’t get me wrong, the 1911 had its time. So did the flintlock, and I don’t buy one of those either. Although I can totally understand people who use one in the army and want one for nostalgic purposes, I think that the weight to capacity ratio disqualifies it as a carry gun nowadays. From a purely practical/efficiency point of view, it’s a turd. The fanboys of the 1911 are worse than the Glock ones, and that’s saying something. it might’ve been cutting edge 100 years ago, but it doesn’t really hold a candle to modern firearms in terms of reliability, and reliability should be numero uno priority on any handgun, except for safe space wasting range toys.
Hahahaha..."Jam-o-matic" !!!! Yeah, Pal...at 800 rounds my 9mm's recoil spring needed replacement, the ONLY time I had any "jams". Capacity? 8 in the mag and one in the pipe=9. Just HOW many rounds do you have to spray in a situation?? If you can't get things under control with 9 rounds, you need a bit more range time. Let me guess...you drive one of those cutting edge Prius'?

It's funny, I had you pegged as a BHPite. Which, in my head, is a less serious division than catholic vs Anglican...

I am, for 9mm.

I'm not a 100% purist, but I do believe that 1911s are not really 1911s unless they're in .45.

I'd say there's definitely an orthodoxy involved. Folks who'll only shoot a WWI-era 1911 with the straight MSH would be like those Mel Gibson Catholics who still insist on a Latin Mass. Other 1911 fans would also be Catholics, but with subtle gradations for those who'll accept things like bobtails or (puke) rails, or beavertails. Etc.

9mm folks would be Protestants, I guess, but BHP fans are like High Church Anglicans probably.

It's a fun metaphor.

I am, for 9mm.

I'm not a 100% purist, but I do believe that 1911s are not really 1911s unless they're in .45.

I'd say there's definitely an orthodoxy involved. Folks who'll only shoot a WWI-era 1911 with the straight MSH would be like those Mel Gibson Catholics who still insist on a Latin Mass. Other 1911 fans would also be Catholics, but with subtle gradations for those who'll accept things like bobtails or (puke) rails, or beavertails. Etc.

9mm folks would be Protestants, I guess, but BHP fans are like High Church Anglicans probably.

It's a fun metaphor.
Does this make Glocks, Baptists or maybe Lutherans?

Hahahaha..."Jam-o-matic" !!!! Yeah, Pal...at 800 rounds my 9mm's recoil spring needed replacement, the ONLY time I had any "jams". Capacity? 8 in the mag and one in the pipe=9. Just HOW many rounds do you have to spray in a situation?? If you can't get things under control with 9 rounds, you need a bit more range time. Let me guess...you drive one of those cutting edge Prius'?

Another predictably lame and reactionary attempt at 1911 apologetics. So funny.

The dig about a Prius is both telling and timely, given the price of gasoline these days.

Hope Bt74 remembers it when he fuels up.

1911s in general? Old, shitty stupid f***img swinging link bullshit design. Stupid f***ing staked plunger tubes. USGI sights = worst sights ever put on a handgun, "Controlled Feed" translation = gun jams if everything isn't perfect. Stupid f***ing internal design. The looks, ergonomics and trigger are what make it absolutely iconic, rest of it is a horror show/dumpster fire. The problem is as an archetype nothing comes close on the first three terms. Which is why i still like 1911s even though they're fundamentally a piece of shit. It's the gun equivalent of a drop dead 25 yr old redhead with nice tits and ass but turns into a f***ing psychopath if shes not on her "meds". Thats what a 1911 is.

why you attack my favorite child and ex in the same rant?

what I like about them is if you take a newbie to the range they almost always shoot the 1911 best. Just my experience. Will they go on to shoot and handle something modern more better… probably but great first experience with a classic. Unless it jams.

What I hate is in these topics usually within the first 5 posts someone says the 1911 won 2 world wars. 🙄

Look......its a fantastic pistol......but ffs it DID NOT win 2 world wars. If our soldiers in ww2 and ww1 that were issued pistols had been given 38 revolvers we still would have won those wars. Come on.....let's get real......the vast majority of side arms in the military are issued to staff officers/staff nco........and those combat troops that are issued a side arm......time comes they are using that side arm shit went WAY south and the situation is INDIVIDUAL life or death.

All that said.....I love the 1911.....its an amazing platform.

If your saying the 1911 won 2 world wars you probably have no idea how wars, battles, and combat are conducted.

I have a Colt Competition that has never malfunctioned. And I have tried to make it jam on a couple of occasions, with all kinds of ammo.
I am a Sig guy, and they are great, but if I ever go someplace that the likelihood of needing a gun increases, and I can conceal it, I am carrying a 1911 in a shoulder holster.
I am a rural/ suburban dweller and for me, the most likely place I would need to carry is, in no particular order, Church, weddings, funerals and busy shopping centers/ malls. These days, I don't get to church as often as I used to, but probably 15-20 times a year.
The main reason I carry the 1911 is the confidence that I can get effective hits quickly and accurately at the greatest distance. I carry Wilson Combat magazines and the spares are 10 rounds, with two magazines in the holster and one in the left pocket of my jacket. 9 in the gun, cocked and locked, 30 rounds of Speer Gold Dots in spare mags is a pretty substantial load out.
If you are ever somewhere and shots ring out, the first thing you are going to do is figure out how to get out with your family. I honestly feel that what I am carrying is going to increase my chances by as much as possible. I have a 365, 320, 229, 226 and 220, and they are all fine guns, but I shoot the Colt faster and more accurately. It points so naturally, the trigger breaks so clean and crisp, and the match barrel delivers such consistent accuracy, that there is no doubt what I want in my holster.

We all make choices based upon our situation and options available. Your situation may make a Glock 19 with 15 round magazines the best choice for you and your needs, but I am very comfortable with my choices and have considered them carefully. I have no intention of altering my decisions because someone on the internet thinks there is a better option.

I love the Colt 1911 but it’s a range toy and that’s all it will ever be to me. I crack up when I hear guys talk about carrying a 1911. Pretty goofy considering all the choices these days that are lighter, have higher capacity, and are more reliable.

In actuality I own a Sig Emperor Scorpion 1911, great range gun but I don't like pistols with manual safety’s for carry. I would consider a 10MM 1911 for bear defense.

The 1911 is;
Too heavy,
Over complicated,
Lacks capacity,
Has poor sights,
Is unreliable,
Etc., ad nauseum.

Or you are;
Too weak,
Have no mechanical aptitude,
A poor shot,
Incapable of proficiently changing magazines,
Unable to maintain your firearm,
Etc., ad nauseum.

I'm going with;
The irrational distain for the 1911 comes from people who are woefully incapable in general and can't comprehend another person's likes/dislikes if not in lockstep with their own.

The 1911 is;
Too heavy,
Over complicated,
Lacks capacity,
Has poor sights,
Is unreliable,
Etc., ad nauseum.

Or you are;
Too weak,
Have no mechanical aptitude,
A poor shot,
Incapable of proficiently changing magazines,
Unable to maintain your firearm,
Etc., ad nauseum.

I'm going with;
The irrational distain for the 1911 comes from people who are woefully incapable in general and can't comprehend another person's likes/dislikes if not in lockstep with their own.

Yet another predictably lame and reactionary attempt at 1911 apologetics. So funny.

I can understand fencer's affinity for the 1911 in general and his Colt Competition Pistol in particular. I have one.

In a similar vein, I feel the same way about my car --a 1953 Dodge Meadowbrook with a Gyro-Matic transmission.

It isn't as sprightly as the machines we have today, but it has never failed me.

Sure, it helps to carry an extra set of contact points and a tach/dwell meter, not to mention a timing light, but the Meadowbrook has a distinct presence on the road. The 230ci flathead six is thrifty yet eager enough, and I love the way the Kelly-Springfield bias-ply tires howl when taking a curvy off-ramp at speed! It's almost as cool as the ram ornament on the hood...

1647703110169.png

I crack up when I hear guys talk about carrying a 1911. Pretty goofy considering all the choices these days that are lighter, have higher capacity, and are more reliable.

There are shortcomings to the 1911 compared to other platforms, sure. But there are a lot of strengths and certain situations where they make a lot of sense. I'll list a few:

For those who prefer to CCW a full size pistol OWB under a long shirt, their slim profile makes them a lot more concealable than a lot of double stack options

For those who live in communist states like MA where capacity is limited to 10 rounds in many or most cases, a single stack 1911 with 9 rounds can be considered a good option against other pistols where the capacity is cut down to less than it is capable of holding, especially when considering the next point:

For a whole lot of us, the 1911 points more naturally, and the trigger is far superior to other platforms. Meaning, we shoot it better. And given that in a lot of cases we are going to be limited to 10 rounds max capacity, the benefits of having a slimmer pistol that points and shoots better for a lot of us, its easy to see why a good amount of us choose to carry the 1911.

I'm not saying its the best option in all or even most cases. All I am saying is there are a lot of things about the 1911 that do make it a good option for a lot of people, and for someone to be completely baffled why no one would choose it is beyond me. Clearly, it is a good pistol and a good option for a lot of folks.

Yet another predictably lame and reactionary attempt at 1911 apologetics. So funny.
The 'one trick pony' strikes again. I was really put in my place... 'I like 'X''... 'Well you're a stupid poopy face 'cuz I don't like 'X' and everyone needs to know it'! Whaaaaaaaa! Get over it. Some people like things even if considered shitty by others. Hey, some people may even like you... Ha! So funny.

:p

Last edited:
The 'one trick pony' pony strikes again. I was really put in my place... 'I like 'X''... 'Well you're a stupid poopy face 'cuz I don't like 'X' and everyone needs to know it'! Whaaaaaaaa! Get over it. Some people like things even if considered shitty by others. Hey, some people may even like you... Ha! So funny.

:p

Sweeney, this is a hate thread as defined by the OP himself.

If you're offended, tough sh*t,

Sorry, not sorry!

You don't have the capacity to offend me.. but, you do make me laugh.

If I can make anyone laugh, even at my own expense, it's a win.

I'm just sh*tposting on a rainy day, and glad you're taking the bait.

But 1911s still suck.

BTW, when I go to a wedding or funeral, I usually carry two Mossberg Shockwaves.

Which is why i still like 1911s even though they're fundamentally a piece of shit. It's the gun equivalent of a drop dead 25 yr old redhead with nice tits and ass but turns into a f***ing psychopath if shes not on her "meds". Thats what a 1911 is.
Dude, you say that like it's a bad thing.

Back
Top Bottom