• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WHAT DO YOU HATE THE MOST ABOUT COLT 1911s YES EVEN THE OLDER SERIES 70 GUNS ?????

Mine (e-series round butt) always worked well, too.

I never fired it, though, so I don't regret trading it. Most of the time.[wink]

You have a lowly smith and you havent fired it? WTF? how do you know it even works right JK [laugh]

My dads e-series full size, the f***ing ambi safety lever fell off the side. (not fitted properly from factory) Thankfully Lou @ BEC fixed it for me, its been fine for him ever since.

You have a lowly smith and you havent fired it? WTF? how do you know it even works right JK [laugh]

My dads e-series full size, the f***ing ambi safety lever fell off the side. (not fitted properly from factory) Thankfully Lou @ BEC fixed it for me, its been fine for him ever since.

I edited that. I realized it wasn't well phrased, lol.

I fired it a bunch, but not as much as I fired other guns; you know how it is. After awhile, it became a safe queen. I traded it because it was a two-tone, and I just couldn't get into that.

I edited that. I realized it wasn't well phrased, lol.

I fired it a bunch, but not as much as I fired other guns; you know how it is. After awhile, it became a safe queen. I traded it because it was a two-tone, and I just couldn't get into that.

The original ones were mostly just black but had different rollmarks.

The original one with the huge billboard with the nuke symbol thing on it was the best though. My friend still has one of those and it still runs. I think his plunger tube broke though and the whole bit (they had thousands of bad plunger tubes on those scan frame guns that just sheared off)

I'm a big believer in second chances. In all seriousness, I'd like to buy a Colt Wiley Clapp CCO. Had a couple of chances at local gun shops over the past several years, but hesitated and missed the boat. I find the CCO's ergonomics to be especially accommodating, and it's one 1911 that's easily carried.

I'm a big believer in second chances. In all seriousness, I'd like to buy a Colt Wiley Clapp CCO. Had a couple of chances at local gun shops over the past several years, but hesitated and missed the boat. I find the CCO's ergonomics to be especially accommodating, and it's one 1911 that's easily carried.

Whose alt is this? I almost feel like someone is using ai to generate shitposts

They did improve. And stopped being a 1911. Smith 945.

The 945 discoed, they don't make it anymore.

I had one of the 4" Commander ones it ran like a top. They made it in officer, commander, and full size basically. Used 8 rd mags on the latter two, and a 6 or 7 on the little guy.

It's too bad they didnt like push those guns harder with holsters, more sights, blah blah blah, etc.

More finish options etc.

One slightly fatal flaw was... it didnt point exactly like a 1911. Close, but not exactly.

@whatluck actually if you find a 945 and it's not at a s*** price whatever you do never sell the thing.... I think the values keep going up. My commander sold for around 1150 or so to another NESer who probably still has it. I miss that gun but the guy I sold it to was very appreciative. (Mind you this was like 10 yrs ago, but still. )

Maybe this thread has karma or is channeling JMB's ghost. After waiting about seven months and only having stainless ones pop-up, I scored a blued Colt Classic 1911 this afternoon with rosewood grips.

1648260290187.png

Curious to see how it shoots with the National Match barrel compared to my Remington-Rand USGI 1911. Series 70 firing system. Just gotta wait for it to arrive at my FFL...

Maybe this thread has karma or is channeling JMB's ghost. After waiting about seven months and only having stainless ones pop-up, I scored a blued Colt Classic 1911 this afternoon with rosewood grips.

View attachment 594943

Curious to see how it shoots with the National Match barrel compared to my Remington-Rand USGI 1911. Series 70 firing system. Just gotta wait for it to arrive at my FFL...
Congratulations and good luck! But don't get discouraged or make any judgments until you have completed the obligatory 500-round break-in period. The 1911 is by nature a fussy, finicky and temperamental contraption. Don't carry it for protection unless you're comfortable with crapshoot odds.

Nobody has still ever verified that pic, fwiw. IMHO someone took an M80 hand and put a pic of a blown up glock next to it.

I've seen plenty of other "glock hands" after a gun explosion and most of them involved superficial wounds compared to that.

The most common glock hands are the ones where the owner actually shot themselves in the hand with the gun, but is that the guns fault? [rofl]

I was saying "Holy Chit, that's a lot of damage"

I didn't think it was real...

Congratulations and good luck! But don't get discouraged or make any judgments until you have completed the obligatory 500-round break-in period. The 1911 is by nature a fussy, finicky and temperamental contraption. Don't carry it for protection unless you're comfortable with crapshoot odds.
I'm left-handed and carry an HK VP9 with a Trijicon RMR. Still, I appreciate the classics.

I'm left-handed and carry an HK VP9 with a Trijicon RMR. Still, I appreciate the classics.

Hey another Leftie :eek:

Don't sell the 1911 down the river as a Carry Gun...

I carry my S&W a lot, I love this gun...

Crimson Trace grip, XS Sights Big Dot (I'm going to be changing over to one of their new Big Dot's soon I think, I'm going to try it 1st on my new M&P OR Shield)...
It came with the Ambi Safety but on my other 1911's I run the Wilson Combat Bullet Proof Ambi Safety...
I've started changing over to their new one, the Wide Lever Ambi Safety...

Wide Blade Ambi Safety

I'm old school, I carry in a C&L Thumb Break holster...
I've got a few different styles but I love DeSantis Holsters...

S&W CM 1.jpg

If you don’t like Colt’s, you can always go with one of the other variations:

1911 Variations.jpg
Top: Springfield 10mm 1911 TRP Operator Long Slide
Middle: Sig 1911 Emperor Scorpion Full-size
Botton: S&W Performance Center SW1911 Bobtail Commander

The Bobtail actually makes a pretty good carry gun from a size/weight perspective.

HELL YEAH BÖRTHER!
TWO WORLD WARS!
STOPPING POWER!
JUST AS GOOD!
I KNOW WHAT I GOT, NO LOWBALLS!

1648286437483.png

Ugh. 1911 thread.

If the gun is in spec and you know how to tune it, it’s as reliable of a gun as anything else. Problem is most shooters are too lazy to bother learning how to service a gun like the 1911. And I don’t blame them one bit. Why bother? A Glock just runs, right out of the box without ever having to f*ck with it.

I shoot a 1911 better than any other service-type handgun. What’s the 10k hour rule? I’m pretty sure my 1976 Colt gov’t has spent more time in my hand than my dick. And that’s saying a lot.

I don’t get offended by 1911 hate. There are way better options out there for any application. They just work well for me.

e017b400eb28b161bb6760a25f432401.jpg

I thought of another reason I like them. Interchangeable parts and holsters. I can grab any one of my 1911s and go shoot a match. My belt set ups in the trunk will fit whichever one I have.

I don't crap on other brands generally. I'm smart enough to understand that a couple of horrible Kimbers or Remingtons don't make a significant sample size. But it doesn't help my opinion of them when I have seen them repeatedly crap their Depends in matches. One 9mm Remington went back three times before the owner dropped it into the trashcan in anger before being reminded that it was probably a crime to leave it there.

I am very wary of even Colts and Springfields too. I've handled many of both and their range of QC seems staggering. My own two Colts in the late eighties were uninspiring but in reflection I think I wasn't experienced enough to make them shoot well and quickly traded them off to try other guns.

The point is to judge the 1911 platform you have to have a good one and the experience in shooting to appreciate how well it shoots.

I've never dealt with him but if he was unable to tell you why it was broken you needed a different smith. That gun probably had a bent frame or some shit
like that going on. I have seen 1911s that were just fundamentally bad guns from the factory, and when you have a piece of dog meat like that? forget it you will bash
your head into the wall long before it will ever work right.

Even though I own like 4 of the things I wouldn't blame anyone for swearing off 1911s if they have other guns that work better and no desire to keep it. If keeping the guns around doesnt
result in a perceived "win" for you then dump that shit and move on. [laugh] Especially if you don't care or arent impacted by any of the other stuff.
I'm curious, have all your 1911s been completely reliable, or at least reliable enough to carry knowing it will go bang when you pull the trigger? I know that the newer 1911s are reliable, especially the ones chambered in 9mm. But the idea of a 9mm 1911 does not appeal to me at all. For me, It's either .45 or nothing.

When I moved back to MA I brought a Colt series 80 from CA. I didn't love it and sold it. Then I bought a series 70 from an NESer, had it tuned and purged of MIM parts, and it's great. It runs great, for the most part, but I have 2 questions:

1.) it ejects shells in 100 different places, randomly, including in my face- What's up with that?

2.) after about 100 rds, it doesn't jam, but the slide still has about .25" to completely shut so I just whack the back of it and it's fine- Again, what's up with that?

Back
Top Bottom