WHAT DO YOU HATE THE MOST ABOUT COLT 1911s YES EVEN THE OLDER SERIES 70 GUNS ?????

Hey Drgrant and FPrice,

During matches it would seem to gum up from powder residue and some FTEs...but tearing it down, cleaning and mostly used dry lube, it would again be good for another 50 without a hiccup, I really love the gun but only being able to run 50 rounds is a PITA.0

Maybe I'll replace the main spring again (had tried that originally) and will def check out that 1911 cleaning link

Thanks

How are the failures occurring?

Also, given thats an officers mod sized gun the recoil spring probably kills itself much faster than normal, so that might also play a role, of course ive never seen the recoil spring assembly in
an officers sized one before.
Couple of pics for ya attached

Attachments

• 20220518_171204.jpg
    20220518_171204.jpg
    534.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220518_171249.jpg
    20220518_171249.jpg
    560.9 KB · Views: 20
Hey Drgrant and FPrice,

During matches it would seem to gum up from powder residue and some FTEs...but tearing it down, cleaning and mostly used dry lube, it would again be good for another 50 without a hiccup, I really love the gun but only being able to run 50 rounds is a PITA.0

Maybe I'll replace the main spring again (had tried that originally) and will def check out that 1911 cleaning link

Thanks

Dry Lube? WAT. Contrary to popular belief overlubing guns isnt really a thing. Most people use too little.

This gun needs to be MOIST. The rails should be glistening, as well as coat the bushing etc. Use something like Slip2000 EWL 30 on it. It should be moist enough you have to dry it off with a cloth when you're done.

Dry Lube? WAT. Contrary to popular belief overlubing guns isnt really a thing. Most people use too little.

This gun needs to be MOIST. The rails should be glistening, as well as coat the bushing etc. Use something like Slip2000 EWL 30 on it. It should be moist enough you have to dry it off with a cloth when you're done.
Every gun I have I use Remington dri-lube mainly, but maybe that is the issue with the 945, and will def try it out...thanks

+1 to Slip2k, great stuff.

Every gun I have I use Remington dri-lube mainly, but maybe that is the issue with the 945, and will def try it out...thanks

That stuff is for magazine tubes at best, it doesn’t belong anywhere near moving parts in a gun. Most guns, even things like Glocks etc, run better wet. A gun like a 945? it’s imperative to use a normal lubricant.

Found it under his blog:

Whoa, he uses a ton of grease on his guns. I have always used a fair amount of Pro Gold in the syringe, but he greases the shit out of every thing but the chamber, feed ramp and mag well.
Maybe that's why I've had good luck with my 1911's? I've always used grease on all the spots that rub, but maybe I should use more? But I don't think I have ever put 1000 rounds through a gun without cleaning and lubing it.

Whoa, he uses a ton of grease on his guns. I have always used a fair amount of Pro Gold in the syringe, but he greases the shit out of every thing but the chamber, feed ramp and mag well.
Maybe that's why I've had good luck with my 1911's? I've always used grease on all the spots that rub, but maybe I should use more? But I don't think I have ever put 1000 rounds through a gun without cleaning and lubing it.
I used to use grease but frankly oil is good enough. If you're under 1k on an interval you can use basically any decent gun oil and youll be good.

@fencer I used to use grease on a lot of guns but after a point I just saved it for the M1 garand. (Back when i had it) Lots of big wear surfaces that are well suited for a dab of grease. Also the M1 was easy to lean any schmoo that got out of hand.

Found it under his blog:

Copied and pasted into notes. The article, not the link.
Thank you sir!

I started to use a gun specific grease on my 1911 and was afraid that it would be a sticky mess when it came time to clean it. To my surprise, after about 250 rounds, when I broke it down to look, the grease was just gone, no mess at all. I gave it a clean and applied new grease. I like it, the gun runs very well and while 250 rounds isn't the longest service life, it was worth trying.

This gun needs to be MOIST.

I've never personally found a gun to be overlubed like you've said. If I do soak it like an animal in lube and fire it the excess lube just blows out the gun one way or another. It's not like it congeals in the friggen gun and jams it up.

Maybe people think overlubing is sorta like a cosmoline situation.

I had my 1st lube problem on a gun when I brought my Glock 17L to Sig academy. It was straight out of the box with no lube and boy was it a pig. I soaked it in lube at the range and boom, worked great.

Yeah if I can actually find one...I haven't seen Colt 1911's in stores since pre covid now I'm kicking myself.

ETA

Last edited:
Like @drgrant the only time I've used grease (Yamalube) on guns was back when I owned a M1A. Though I do have a barreled action and some mags currently covered in grease because they're in long term storage.

It is possible to overlube a gun. If the gun is spitting lube at you and into your eyes (wear glasses obviously), it's overlubed. Long gun stocks and handgun grips can get oversaturated with lube, which over time can lead to cracks. This takes a long time, however, and is more of a problem on specific types of guns - look at Winchester M1897 forends, a lot are cracked or bubba-repaired.

As to 1911 reliability, it's a hand-fitted gun. If you get one built by someone who knows what they're doing and puts effort in, the gun will probably be fine. If not, then there'll be issues. The real difference between a 1911 and a more modern handgun is differences in manufacturing, not necessarily the guns themselves.

I started to use a gun specific grease on my 1911 and was afraid that it would be a sticky mess when it came time to clean it. To my surprise, after about 250 rounds, when I broke it down to look, the grease was just gone, no mess at all. I gave it a clean and applied new grease. I like it, the gun runs very well and while 250 rounds isn't the longest service life, it was worth trying.
What grease are you using?

I have two and even used one to pass my self defense at home class. Fired over 100 rounds that day without a hitch. Well except for my aiming!

Back
Top Bottom