• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What do you shoot LONG RANGE?

I've got a bunch of choices, but then I shoot IBS Benchrest and have several rifles for that anyways.

I got interested in "long range" shooting and went pretty deep into it. The investment has been breath taking. My wife is also a shooter, so no problem there, as long as the bills get paid.

Her long range rifle is currently a Winchester Model 70 Varmint ('65 vintage) in 243. Currently wearing a 6X scope, but that will change.

My extreme long range rifle is a Rem 700 Police in 338 Lapua, wearing a Leupold 20 MOA Picatinny Mark 4 mount, Leupold Mark 4 rings and a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14 Mil Dot Scope and Harris bipod.

Recently restocked and rescoped a Rem 700 SA in 6x250 (tight neck), with a Hart barrel, HS Precision stock and the same scope, mounts and bipod as above.

I also have a Rem 600 in 308, Hart Barrel, McMillan stock, EGW 20 MOA mount. It's getting Mark 4 rings and a SWFA SS 10x42 Mil Dot scope. I'll probably put one of these on the wife's 243.

I also have an M1A Loaded currently going into an Archangel stock. Got a Sadlak mount for it, it also will get a SWFA scope like above.

To go over 1K yards effectively, I also bought a Kestrel with Applied Ballistics software, a MagnetoSpeed Chronograph and a set of Bryan Litz's books.

I highly recommend the books first, over everything else. That and spend some time watching Youtube videos from Berger Bullets, Litz and
TiborasaurusRex.

I can tell you the 243, 6.5 Creedmore, 260 Remington and 6.5x47 are all ballistically superior to the 308, especially in transonic range and wind drift.

By they way, the reason I prefer the Remington 700 is I do my own gunsmithing, including barrel turning, fitting and chambering as well as action truing. I'm used to the Remington. For a factory built gun, I would easily recommend the Savage or the FN over the Remington.

TiborasaurusRex I have watched. His scope reviews are decent though probably getting dated by now.

What advantages do the Savage or the FN have over the R700?

TiborasaurusRex I have watched. His scope reviews are decent though probably getting dated by now.

What advantages do the Savage or the FN have over the R700?

Older Rem 700's were really good, for factory rifles.

The newer ones aren't as good, probably due to poor QC procedures.

The Savage and the FN are said to be better factory rifles, out of the box. More than just a few people.

My main issue with Remington is barrel quality. But then, I use Hart, Chanlynn, Krieger or Bartlein barrels, mostly Hart. Obviously, not all the really decent rifles I have are long range stuff.

Rebarreled, the best alternative to Remington is a custom action, like a Kelby, Hart or such.

I am considering a Savage 112 (.338 Lapua). Seems like a bargain. Anyone have any experience with one?

If you don't reload be prepared for $4.00 to $5.00 around and if you do $3.00 a round.
By far the smartest approach would be a Savage chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, match ammo is available for $1.25 a round. And if you check around someone always has it on sale for $1.00 a round.

Dean

If you don't reload be prepared for $4.00 to $5.00 around and if you do $3.00 a round.
By far the smartest approach would be a Savage chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, match ammo is available for $1.25 a round. And if you check around someone always has it on sale for $1.00 a round.

Dean

Isn't the 6.5 about $500 more than the 112?

I am considering a Savage 112 (.338 Lapua). Seems like a bargain. Anyone have any experience with one?

338 Lapua, I own one. Savage 112, there's a lot online. Check the sources I mentioned. There are other sources that are pretty good, too. John Plaster is one of them.

Dean

Owning a 338 Lapua is pretty expensive if you don't load you're own. Gander Mountain in Plattsburgh, NY recently had a box of Federal (Gold Medal) 338 ammo, with 300 grain Sierra bullets for $140. That's $7 per round.

Plus, factory ammo is not as good as what you can make. I have been making my own ammo for many years, so no problem.

Frankly speaking, the round makes exactly zero sense in New England. The area I live in has a few places where I could make use of it, but not that many.

You'll actually be shocked at how far some fairly mainstream cartridges are good for. Especially with handloads.

Isn't the 6.5 about $500 more than the 112?

And, you'll quickly recoup the difference in ammo cost.

If you are looking to have a "long range" rifle, but will use factory ammo, the best choices are going to be 243 Win, 260 Rem and 308 Win. Especially 308 Win, as ammo with 175 grain Sierra match bullets aren't all that hard to get.

Of course, you'll need to define "long range".

My take on it is short range is under 100 yards. 100-500 is "full distance", 500-1000 yards is "long range" and over 1000 yards is "extreme long range".

Up to 1000 yards, the 308 Win, with 175 grain bullets is going to be acceptable. It goes transonic around 800 yards (per Bryan Litz, who I trust more than other sources). The 175 grain bullet has tolerable accuracy after going transonic. A bullet goes transonic around Mach 1.2, and stays in the zone until around Mach 0.8.

Unofficially "Long Range" by definition starts at 800 yds. I shoot at PF&G anywhere from 100 yds out to 600 yds. So I will offer opinions from Short Range <200 yds , out to 600 yds (midrange). Any 223 can take you all the way out to 600 yds you simply have to be aware that the wind will play a role in the lighter .22 calibers vs the heavier .30 cal's. I shoot .223 at 600 but i'll only handload 77 or better 80 gr bullets. I also shoot .308 at 600 but I stay above 168 gr bullets. You also need a minimum 20" bbl with .223 to maintain adequate velocity out to 600 yds. Same holds true with 308, stick with a minimum 20" bbl. Now for true "Long Range" 1000+ yds I move up to either my .300 Win Mag or my .243 Win. Both are set up specifically with 26" heavy barrels, Bell & Carelson Tac A5 stocks and quality 24X optics. I don't shoot my 308 beyond 600 yds as my 308 has a slow twist 1-12" bbl and I don't feel comfortable pushing my 308 hard. I have the other listed rifles that fill the task much more efficiently.

Last edited:
I guess my in use long (mid) range rig is a Krieger / Compass Lake .223 upper on a NES group buy lower that I built. Shot decently at 600 yards during the Sept CMP New England Games. Nosler Custom Comp 77's but I'll probably move to 80's next time.

Another project that started as a Aero NES group buy lower is my AR-308 in 6.5 Creedmoor. Built it for F-Tactical class if that ever gets traction. 20" barrel from Ballistic Advantage. BA makes barrels for some big name AR builders, including some brands that cause drooling on arfcom. I don't have dies to reload 6.5 CM yet and so far have only shot at my 100 yard home range, but with Winchester Match 140's I have to really mess up a shot to be over .75 MOA. Went to the range on Friday to see how cold would affect it- breezy and only 8 degrees F [shocked]. 5-shot groups averaged .553 MOA. One group would have been .266 MOA except I screwed up the last shot. Smallest actual group .482 MOA. No problems with the rifle. I guess CLP lube works ok at that temp.

As above mentioned, sometimes you can find the 6.5 CM ammo on sale for ~$1 per round. I have recently seen the Winchester Match 140 for that price. Half MOA ammo for one buck a round is a pretty damn good deal. I like Winchester brass as well, which makes the $1 each 6.5 CM ammo a ridiculous deal for precision rifle shooting.

I'm trying to run a 18" match barrel AR with Sightron SIII with 77grain noslers.
The 80 grain noslers where on sale end of summer. I plan on trying those next.
Long range for me is 200-600 yards. Ideal no but its what I have. Looking into bolt gun but getting beyound 600 is rare.
200 yards I'm shooting MOA 600 yards first time out.....I fell apart. Shot worse than I do with irons.

Last edited:
I'm also planning LR, with a focus on a prairie dog hunt
For applicable (?) guns, I'm considering the following
1. Bushmaster DCM Match. For closer ranges. Fixed carry handle.
2. Remington 700 VSSM .223. Close & Longer ranges, scoped Vortex Crossfire II 6-24x50mm
3. 6.5 Grendel 24" AR platform sharing the DCM lower or a dedicated PRS & High end (Geissele SSA-E) triggered lower. Longer ranges, scoped Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP PST-43127
4. Sinclair F Class bipod.

http://www.flatwillowcreekoutfitters.com/ great video's

These guy's are great to talk to http://www.precisionfirearms.com/14.html
Their top of the line 6.5 upper is a little over 2k with options

Last edited:
An AR in .223 with an upper from White Oak, Compass Lake, or Keystone Arms. Use the leftover money make good ammo. $2000 bucks really isn't much if you shoot a lot. I probably spend $2000 a year just in ammo components....

I've shot an Service Rifle AR in .223, 6.5 twist Krieger and have done fine with it from 600 to 1000 yards. If your eyes are good and can read the wind it's hard to miss the x-ring at 600.

A week old Rock River Service rifle came in 3rd at a 1000 yard match in Quantico, with my son behind the trigger. Don't let anyone say that a .223 can't do it. May be better choices but you will pay for both equipment and ammo for barrel burner calibers.

A Rem or Savage bolt gun with a decent barrel will hammer the x-ring.

Check out Mo's Competitive Supply in Brookfield CT (Mo Defina). He usually has a lot of stuff on Gunbroker that just may be used for long range!

The Savage Stealth 110 BA is an awesome platform. It is a solid big time hitter that can compete with other rifles several times the cost.

Unfortunately the price of the rifle is only a fraction of what you'll need to outfit this rig properly with quality optic and bipod. That alone can double or triple the overall investment. Then there is the $5/per round(match grade new) to shoot it. Not quite the cost of a 50 BMG but dam close to it.

The .308 or 6.5 Creedmore models of this are a few hundred less to purchase upfront and far friendlier on the wallet to feed.

That said there is just something about shooting a BAG (big ass gun) that makes me smile so I'm happy with the purchase.

The optic is between Nightforce F1, Vortex AMG, or the IOR Valdada. All 6-24x FFP and all 2-3x price of the rifle.

just finished the new "LR" rig, hopefully get a chance to zero this week (too damned cold today), then start building out data to 1k

15934594_10100193289069370_1533094157_n_zpsynrajkny.jpg

I have two Rem 700's. Both heavy barrel both with McMillan stocks and Leopold glass. One in 308 and one in 300 win mag. Both are accurate, but I have never had a chance to shoot them at more than 600. I'm seriously thinking of selling the 300 win mag. It has been stupid accurate but if you put 20 rounds through it you feel like you need to go to a detox. It is like drinking a bottle of cough syrup for about a half hour after you shoot it.

The 308 is a pussy cat in comparison. Absolute dream to shoot. Almost boring out to 500 yards.

But at less than 500, I would probably grab my AR with a Ranier Ultra Match barrel. At 300, an average shooter can put 30 rounds into a torso sized target in 10 seconds.

One of these days I will get serious about long range shooting

just finished the new "LR" rig, hopefully get a chance to zero this week (too damned cold today), then start building out data to 1k

15934594_10100193289069370_1533094157_n_zpsynrajkny.jpg

Now Jeff, I've got to ask: what advantage does that rifle have over the Tubb gun you already have in the same caliber?

"Nothing, I just wanted it" is a valid answer.

Now Jeff, I've got to ask: what advantage does that rifle have over the Tubb gun you already have in the same caliber?

"Nothing, I just wanted it" is a valid answer.

thats basically it. sadder part is there isnt just "one" other 6XC

admittedly, the L129A1 isnt currently 6XC, but would be if I could get LMT to sell me JUST a barrel extension, instead of having to cannibalize a perfectly good barrel for one.

15970362_10100193665569860_710122910_n_zpsgtjkhcij.jpg

depressing part is if I skipped these 4, i coulda bought myself a brand new roadglide with all the goodies. my rifle collection is actually getting fairly substantial.

Back
Top Bottom