• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What do you shoot LONG RANGE?

Tracking Point
338 Gun 4k Scope 13k
308 Gun 2k Scope 13k
556 Gun 2k Scope 8k

The 338 was 27k, and now is 17k. I would expect the price to continue to slide, and ATN to have an Airsoft version in a year or two.

The software and control system can be found as follows, for back deck squirrel fun with a six pack
http://projectsentrygun.rudolphlabs.com/home
search youtube: sentrygun

https://www.atncorp.com/range-finder...allistics-1500
https://www.atncorp.com/smart-hd-optics

Similar applications for tracking camera's
http://www.movensee.com/?___store=e...+Tracking +Camera&utm_content=Tracking Camera
Cell Phone Scope
https://inteliscopes.com/

Or - Order NOW !!! I know you were looking for something to do with that tax return
http://www.knesekguns.com/commercia...9a0b6db80797ea48012ccbe&search.x=0&search.y=0

Last edited:
The optic is between Nightforce F1, Vortex AMG, or the IOR Valdada. All 6-24x FFP and all 2-3x price of the rifle.

If you have that kind of money to put into it, then order a drop in custom barrel($400ish) now, before you buy the gun, then swap out the barrel before you even shoot the rifle.

If you have that kind of money to put into it, then order a drop in custom barrel($400ish) now, before you buy the gun, then swap out the barrel before you even shoot the rifle.

PRS Production division has to keep the rifle & optic under $3k. I think a custom bbl would break that?

A vortex AMG is over 3k alone, isn't it? I know msrp is. Also, are you planning to shoot sanctioned national events? Most club matches are run what you brung, no divisions.

Maybe the MSRP is that high, retail is far lower. I didn't know that club matches didn't have divisions but that's probably to be expected. Still, I think that $3k ish target price is where I want to be. If it starts to creep towards $4k it means fewer other guns and that's not good. [emoji51]

Maybe the MSRP is that high, retail is far lower. I didn't know that club matches didn't have divisions but that's probably to be expected. Still, I think that $3k ish target price is where I want to be. If it starts to creep towards $4k it means fewer other guns and that's not good. [emoji51]

Razor gen 2 retails for $2500, so I don't know where you're finding the amg much cheaper. I was being conservative, starting msrp for the amg is $3700.

Razor gen 2 retails for $2500, so I don't know where you're finding the amg much cheaper. I was being conservative, starting msrp for the amg is $3700.

It retails for $2500 most places (SWFA, B&H, etc.) and has the same retail price as the Razor Gen II. I realize the MSRP is $3700 but that is super inflated.

Just got done talking to Tracking Point and Remington on their 2020. Turns out that if you shelled out over 5K two years ago your up the creek. Tracking point supplied a highly watered down version of their scope to Remington, and Remington decided they did not want to maintain it. So now you have a $600 gun with a big piece of dead electronics on it that doesn't do anything more than what a good scope or ATN HD will do. Remington was rumored to be exchanging the gun with something else, but they wouldn't tell me what they would exchange it with. Warranty of 1 or 2 years, then your on your own with electronics. I like the new ATN range finder that you can use with any rifle or glass scope to adjust for variables.

very interested in what people are using for their "Long Range" rigs.
Specifically:
  1. Caliber (.243, .308, some version of a 6.5mm?)
  2. Make/Model (got something exotic?)
  3. Customization (i.e. trigger, bedding, stock, aftermarket barrel, provisions for free floating, etc...)
  4. What you typically use it for (poking holes in paper, hunting, etc)

I shoot F-TR at long range so:
1. 308 for long range (800/900/1000), 223 and 308 for mid-range (300/500/600)
2. Two main long range rifles, Defiance Rebel in a custom maple stock and a Kelby Panda F class in a custom walnut stock
3. you're joking right? LMAO. Jewell or Bix'nAndy triggers; yes bedded; Kreiger, Brux, or Bartline ( i have lot o barrels), my stocks are custom made for me with a 15" LOP.
4. Competition

I use NF scopes, Kowa or Leica spotters, SEB bipod, and everything is hand loaded. I run either Berger 200s or 215s at long range.

My OMG is it fun to shoot gun for mid range is a 223 built with a R700 action with a 28" Lilja 3 groove 1:7 chambered to shoot 90VLDs. Shooting an 18lb 223 is like shooting rimfire. It's pretty cool to watch your trace into the target at 500 yards. Inside of that I lose it in the distortion from the muzzle blast, and beyond that it goes out of the top of the scope on 42x so I lose it into the target at 600 yards.

Last edited:
I shoot F-TR at long range so:
1. 308 for long range (800/900/1000), 223 and 308 for mid-range (300/500/600)
2. Two main long range rifles, Defiance Rebel in a custom maple stock and a Kelby Panda F class in a custom walnut stock
3. you're joking right? LMAO. Jewell or Bix'nAndy triggers; yes bedded; Kreiger, Brux, or Bartline ( i have lot o barrels), my stocks are custom made for me with a 15" LOP.
4. Competition

I use NF scopes, Kowa or Leica spotters, SEB bipod, and everything is hand loaded. I run either Berger 200s or 215s at long range.

My OMG is it fun to shoot gun for mid range is a 223 built with a R700 action with a 28" Lilja 3 groove 1:7 chambered to shoot 90VLDs. Shooting an 18lb 223 is like shooting rimfire. It's pretty cool to watch your trace into the target at 500 yards. Inside of that I lose it in the distortion from the muzzle blast, and beyond that it goes out of the top of the scope on 42x so I lose it into the target at 600 yards.

Why do you cling to .308 for long range? It was my understanding that most F class shooters had gone to a 6 or 7 mm round at this point.

Why do you cling to .308 for long range? It was my understanding that most F class shooters had gone to a 6 or 7 mm round at this point.

I don't "cling" to the 308, I use the chambering required per the NRA rule book for F-TR much like Palma is required to be shot with a 308 or a 223.
3.4 F Class Rifle

(b) F-Class Target Rifle (F-TR)- A rifle limited to .223 Remington or .308 Winchester or their commercial and/or metrification equivalents. Chamber dimensions must not exceed the maximum SAAMI or CIP specifications. Bore, groove, and throat dimensions may be selected to suit bullets used. There is no restriction on bullet weight. The rifle must be fired off a bipod, rigidly ttached to the rifle’s fore-end, and/or a sling. Any bipod, meeting the definition of a bipod, may be used but its weight must be included in the rifle’s overall weight. Any safe, manually operated trigger is permitted. Any sighting system is permitted, but it must be included in the rifle’s overall weight.

What you refer to is F-Open. I choose not to shoot in Open for a number of reasons.

http://competitions.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-book.pdf

The F class rules start on page 67

Last edited:

I'm not sure where you got the idea that .308 doesn't work well for out to 1000 yards. You've stated it in a few different threads in the past.
There are other rounds that have better ballistics on paper, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are going to shoot better scores.
Some shooters "cling" to the .308 because it is an excellent precision target round.

I don't "cling" to the 308, I use the chambering required per the NRA rule book for F-TR
3.4 F Class Rifle

(b) F-Class Target Rifle (F-TR)- A rifle limited to .223 Remington or .308 Winchester or their commercial and/or metrification equivalents. Chamber dimensions must not exceed the maximum SAAMI or CIP specifications. Bore, groove, and throat dimensions may be selected to suit bullets used. There is no restriction on bullet weight. The rifle must be fired off a bipod, rigidly ttached to the rifle’s fore-end, and/or a sling. Any bipod, meeting the definition of a bipod, may be used but its weight must be included in the rifle’s overall weight. Any safe, manually operated trigger is permitted. Any sighting system is permitted, but it must be included in the rifle’s overall weight.

What you refer to is F-Open. I choose not to shoot in Open for a number of reasons.

http://competitions.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-book.pdf

The F class rules start on page 67

Gotcha. You are correct, I did not make a distinction between open & TR. I didn't realize there was a TR which shows how much I pay attention to F Class shooting.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that .308 doesn't work well for out to 1000 yards. You've stated it in a few different threads in the past.
There are other rounds that have better ballistics on paper, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are going to shoot better scores.
Some shooters "cling" to the .308 because it is an excellent precision target round.

I did not say the shot could not be made, simply that the round is sub optimal. That is evidenced by the rounds used in competition where there are no restrictions on caliber.

I shoot to 1,000 with 5.56 and make shots well but that does not mean it is the optimal cartridge for the range.

It is a perfectly valid discussion to have.

Last edited:
I will not argue that there are not better rounds than the 308 for long distance shooting. F-TR, Palma and ICFRA have rulesets that require the use or we'd all be running something else.

In F-TR, serious competitors are running setups bear little resemblance to what most people think of as a 308. My loaded rounds are over 3" OAL. We run 30" or longer barrels (though Will Chou won the Canadian Nationals with a 29), we load for bullets for which there is no load data. (see if you can find a load for a 308 shooting a 215 Hybrid [rofl]). Even with all we do a typical 308 running a 200 Hybrid at 2650 still has nearly twice the wind drift and needs about 7MOA more elevation from a 100 yard zero than a 284 running a 180 Hybrid or a 183SMK at 2800.

On the other hand. I can typically get about 3500 to 4000 rounds out of a barrel in a 308 before I get to the point that I start to doubt it in competition, your typical F Open shooter has a tomato stake at about 1700.

Fair enough and great info to have. This is why I love discussions like this: Every once in a while someone comes along with more info from something you haven't seen.

Personally I like the PRS style over F class & Palma but can appreciate the load development you have there. Pushing those limits is how we grow all of the sports and I am a big fan of that.

3ea6a0a7e35e7596312b7ab7410199dc.jpg

What do you guys use for rings? Setting up my new Savage 10 BA stealth and hoping to make it out to Granby this spring

I have seekins precision rings on that gun. Probably unecessary to spend that on rings but I didn't want to take chances having an issue with something stupid.

"What do you guys use for rings? Setting up my new Savage 10 BA stealth"

Depends on what optic you intend to mount?

I have a Nightforce Beast mounted on my Stealth in 338 and use the Nightforce "Ultralight" rig set.
Not necessarily the cheapest options but I highly recommend the set up to maximize the long range capability of the platform. The 34mm tube of the optic limits the quality choices, other diameter tubes have a wider variety of good options.

Back
Top Bottom