• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What do you think happened?

38ExtraSpecial

NES Member
40 S&W brass found mixed in with some 500 S&W brass.
Buddy found it in some stuff he bought.
I have my theory. What do you guys think? A31679B0-F4AD-46FF-943D-242955CBBB16.jpeg

A clearer close up would help.

A side view to show case bulge if any or striations in stretched brass.

A primer close up to see if a decapping pin left tool marks or if a firing pin peirced the primer.

I've run across similar pieces of brass in .223/5.56 and determined it was an over charge.

looks like decap pin was set to low and the primer is crimped ? Is it a small primer? I tried to decap some of those small primer 45acp just for haha's and My pin went right through the primer ?

I do not have the brass in hand. Sent to my by a friend.
My guess is is was mixed into the 500 smith brass and when the previous owner tried to decap his 500 brass he got a surprise of a 40 case jammed inside. No where for the primer to go really. Pushed the decapping pin through the primer.
I don’t think overpressure could do this with a breech in the way. If it were fire when the action was out of battery you would see a lot more weird stuff going on with the case.

i'm stumped. there was nothing supporting the rear of the case if it was fired...
forgetting about the 500's, i'd hazard a guess of a .40 fired from a 10mm. firing pin detonated the primer while the case moved forward in the 10mm chamber and that's why the primer looks as it does and the case not being bulged. what i'm saying is i don't know what i'm talking about.

I do not have the brass in hand. Sent to my by a friend.
My guess is is was mixed into the 500 smith brass and when the previous owner tried to decap his 500 brass he got a surprise of a 40 case jammed inside. No where for the primer to go really. Pushed the decapping pin through the primer.
I don’t think overpressure could do this with a breech in the way. If it were fire when the action was out of battery you would see a lot more weird stuff going on with the case.

Look at the inside of the flash hole to see of the decapping pin bottomed out and left an indentation mark on the web.

I just did that a few days ago. I was de-p;riming some .38 brass and the pin started to push the old primer out, then went right through it. It was PPU brass and all the others de-primed without any problem. I've been reloading for nearly 50 years and this has never happened before. Not even with crimped primers.

Back
Top Bottom