• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What do you think of this clerks reaction in this shooting?

Anyone threatening bodily harm is a danger to the community, and needs to be removed promptly. Its too bad his removal wasn't permanent.

IIRC:
BG comes in with gun demanding money.
GG conceals his draw behind other associate.
Shoots BG 3 times in the back.
BG lives[frown]

Anyone threatening bodily harm is a danger to the community, and needs to be removed promptly. Its too bad his removal wasn't permanent.

IIRC:
BG comes in with gun demanding money.
GG conceals his draw behind other associate.
Shoots BG 3 times in the back.
BG lives[frown]

+1

You gotta do what you gotta do.

While I'm glad the BG was unsuccessful and agree he's scum, he probably didn't deserve to die for that and hopefully he'll rot in prison for a very, very long time. Though I wouldn't have any issue at all if he was fatally shot.

Good work by the GG.

Worked out ok. I think it was too close to the kid. The little guy is probably still saying "what? huh? "

When the result of not taking action is getting shot by the BG, whats "too close"?

Also, the baby was actually never between the BG and GG, and was probably farther to the side then guy standing next to you at the range usually is.

In any confrontation, the only 'known' outcome is the one you force to occur.

While I'm glad the BG was unsuccessful and agree he's scum, he probably didn't deserve to die for that and hopefully he'll rot in prison for a very, very long time. Though I wouldn't have any issue at all if he was fatally shot.

Good work by the GG.

[rolleyes]

Of course he deserves to be shot and killed. He actively and directly threatend the lives of 4 innocent people and anyone else in the area. What you are saying akin to playing in traffic and expecting not to get run over.

Whats the expected reaction to threatening peoples lives? The removal of the threat as soon as possible. What quicker way to remove a threat than to shoot it dead?

[rolleyes]

Of course he deserves to be shot and killed. He actively and directly threatend the lives of 4 innocent people and anyone else in the area. What you are saying akin to playing in traffic and expecting not to get run over.

Whats the expected reaction to threatening peoples lives? The removal of the threat as soon as possible. What quicker way to remove a threat than to shoot it dead?

+1 If you use a gun to commit a crime you better be ready to pay the ultimate price and I'm not talking jail time.

When the result of not taking action is getting shot by the BG, whats "too close"?

Also, the baby was actually never between the BG and GG, and was probably farther to the side then guy standing next to you at the range usually is.

In any confrontation, the only 'known' outcome is the one you force to occur.

I agree, I think the shot was good, and not necessarily "unsafe" for that kid. I was more referring to the permanent damage to that kids ears. I think everything has a trade off. This ended well.

So, the guy came in with a gun? I didn't see that... the video was too dark for me to see that...

Then good for the Clerk for having the balls to stand up and fire. You wonder how many people can actually do that without freezing.

It looks like the BG shot first then ran. You see everyone flinch before what looks like the GGs first shot. Reading the text of the video poster '3 shots fired, all 3 hit the bad guy, gun was a glock 23, 40cal with 165g Gold dots', If this is true, the flinch was caused by the BGs shot. You can count the GGs shots.

IMHO the GG had some sort of training. From concealing his draw, his grip on the gun, to locking the door. He atleast thought through that scenario before.

Either way, alive or dead, the BG won't be doing that again.

That's been around the net and there's been a post by the GG describing his actions. IIRC, he states that the the camera angle makes the bystander look closer than she actually was.

Bystanders seem to do stupid things by their very nature, but she really should have moved her arse without the other clerking having to shoo her along.

That's been around the net and there's been a post by the GG describing his actions. IIRC, he states that the the camera angle makes the bystander look closer than she actually was.

Bystanders seem to do stupid things by their very nature, but she really should have moved her arse without the other clerking having to shoo her along.

I suspect bystander with child was too shocked at what was going on that there was a big time delay in her thought process. GG should have yelled to get down but he was too busy and I don't blame him.

that's correct. the good guy is a member at GlockTalk and THR. when this video first came out he discussed in detail the distance of the kid and woman. The camera angle makes it seem much closer due to being 2 dimensional.

I liked how he used the other clerk as "cover" so he could draw without being seen

The first round may have been justified. The two fired at the bad guy's back as he's fleeing are not. And unsound is following the dude out the door with your pistol.

The first round may have been justified. The two fired at the bad guy's back as he's fleeing are not. And unsound is following the dude out the door with your pistol.

Nothing like a Monday morning QB on what was a split second decision. The BG got put down, everyone else went home. IMO it doesn't get much better than that.

Nothing like a Monday morning QB on what was a split second decision. The BG got put down, everyone else went home. IMO it doesn't get much better than that.

While I agree that post-hoc criticism can have its flaws if it ignores the exigencies of the moment, the fact of the matter is that if you don't know enough to stop shooting once the aggressor begins to flee, you'll spend Monday morning in the clink. This should be a major element of any self-defense training curriculum.

Last edited:

Does this rule apply to the robbers too--they can't shoot their victims in the back?

Seriously though, how would the good guy know the difference between the robber fleeing and the bad guy moving to cover for return fire?

While I agree that post-hoc criticism can have its flaws if it ignores the exigencies of the moment, the fact of the matter is that if you don't know enough to stop shooting once the agressor begins to flee, you'll spend Monday morning in the clink. This should be a major element of any self-defense training curriculum.

You have been living in MA far too long.

A little close, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

You're perfect self-defense scenario might not pan out the way you plan it. This is clearly one of those instances.

You follow through until the threat has been eliminated. Eliminated can manifest into evasion, death, surrendering, etc.

You have been living in MA far too long.

The issue isn't how long one has lived in Massachusetts, but rather whether one intends to continue living in Massachusetts, or one of the other 49 states, all of which have pretty much the same rule on this point. Neither is the issue whether one agrees or disagrees with the rule or feel that it denies one the opportunity to achieve true "justice."

The reality, rather, is that in this state (and virtually all others), the privilege of using deadly force is limited to the necessity of self-defense and the necessity of self-defense ends when the bad guy turns tail and runs. The next shot you fire is not for defense but retribution, and retribution will land you in jail. Fact of life, and just about as important to learn as tap-rack-bang.

Does this rule apply to the robbers too--they can't shoot their victims in the back?

Seriously though, how would the good guy know the difference between the robber fleeing and the bad guy moving to cover for return fire?

You don't unless and until he does (begin turning again to return fire), and until that happens, you're defense of self-defense will not protect you.

Now, let's understand something. This isn't a political discussion, where folks get up and spout off about how they think things ought to be. It is, I had thought, a discussion where one observe's a scenario and then analyzes it to see if the shooter's conduct fits within the rules of self-defense -- sort of important to those who carry -- ultimately for the purpose of informing ourselves and others about what we can do and what we can't do (at least without getting indicted ourselves).

Suggesting to folks who may not know better, and who may take your advice seriously, that you can legally keep popping away at a bad guy who is beating feet away from the scene is not a helplful (or nice) thing to do.

Bullship. If someone threatens you with death, the law should allow 3 years to hunt him down and kill him.

I'm with RKG.

As much as I may want to kill the bastard, I'm not going to get myself incarcerated for a "revenge" shot. It isn't worth it.

Back
Top Bottom