• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What have you seen lately?

Found a spruce grouse five minutes into my son’s first hunt. Couldn’t get a shot and didn’t see anything else. Hard rain, so it wasn’t easy hunting. Still had fun.
Spotted three nice deer, not sure of point count, two were bucks though on our ride home. I’ve seen more deer up here in six months than I have in my life. Maybe I’ll connect this year.

Whatever, still a great day and a new partner.

D9CB2DC4-2134-4611-8D83-974674966120.jpeg

Found a spruce grouse five minutes into my son’s first hunt. Couldn’t get a shot and didn’t see anything else. Hard rain, so it wasn’t easy hunting. Still had fun.
Spotted three nice deer, not sure of point count, two were bucks though on our ride home. I’ve seen more deer up here in six months than I have in my life. Maybe I’ll connect this year.

Whatever, still a great day and a new partner.

View attachment 396154

Were you in NH? Did you mean ruffed grouse? Spruce grouse are off limits in NH

I didn't see anything moving yesterday (10/10). Really high winds had me questioning the wisdom of being up in a tree... I went to an area that is usually pretty active in mid-October. But I was pretty disappointed by the sign. Just a couple piles of fawn droppings and some really old and small tracks. The drought really dried out the swap it's in and I think they've relocated as a consequence. I was surprised at how dry everything was. I gotta get back on some water for my next sit. This warm dry weather has me thinking that's where they'll be.

Were you in NH? Did you mean ruffed grouse? Spruce grouse are off limits in NH

Didn’t look like a ruffed grouse, but sounded like one when it took off. It was some type of partridge.
I’ll have to look up spruce grouse to make sure what I don’t shoot at.
I was just happy to see something my sons first time out. I went two years before seeing anything that was shootable.
Had a big doe at my shooting spot this morning. About 175 yards off. Dry fired my 30-30 at it three times and it just kept looking at me.

Is that a trail cam?
00000009.JPG

And this isn't a neighbor, walking under the pole lines 1/4mi from home. It's New England PowerCo land. Presumably he just parked and was looking for a place to hunt. Otherwise, that's odd garb for open carry.
00000001.JPG

Local Saint Anselm's college kids out for a walk about 1/2mi from campus, spotted my "tree chair" it seems. They took picture with their phones, of course. No call from NHF&G - my name, address & phone# are on the chair. Our local K Region F&G Officer said they get lots of calls but do not respond to other than property owners. When the PowerCo was trimming this Spring, I asked what the situation was on hunting/stands on PowerCo land. They just said they would try to neatly take down any stands they found before cutting trees but otherwise no concerns. It's NH. If there's an easement to private landowners and it's not posted or within 300ft of a building/15ft of a roadway, NHF&G will not respond to other than the landowner. It's NH.
00000020.JPG

Last edited:
I had a havahart trap out in the backyard for a pesky skunk that was digging up my lawn. I caught the skunk and took care of him (no details) but I left the trap out in case there was another one. I checked the trap yesterday and found a fisher cat in there. He bared his teeth and extended his claws while I was checking him out. He was pretty big and got a little feisty when I moved the trap into the woods. I got an old bedspread and covered the trap which calmed him down. I then released the catch for the door and he was off like a rocket into the woods. I didn't think there were any fishers in Foxboro but I was wrong. The cellphone pic is a little blurry. Sorry about that.

image (72).jpg

I had a havahart trap out in the backyard for a pesky skunk that was digging up my lawn. I caught the skunk and took care of him (no details) but I left the trap out in case there was another one. I checked the trap yesterday and found a fisher cat in there. He bared his teeth and extended his claws while I was checking him out. He was pretty big and got a little feisty when I moved the trap into the woods. I got an old bedspread and covered the trap which calmed him down. I then released the catch for the door and he was off like a rocket into the woods. I didn't think there were any fishers in Foxboro but I was wrong. The cellphone pic is a little blurry. Sorry about that.

View attachment 401263
What'd you use for a lure?

Squirrel hunting today Savage Hill WMA in Princeton. Saw the ass end of a white tail hopping along and eventually a healthy sized pile of scat. Had a few "Chickens of the Tree" in my sites, but the shots just weren't there. Another day of nature hiking, which is still better than just another day!

View attachment 401263

I'm in North Attleboro. This year a Fisher has taken up residence in the woods in back of my place. Back in July, the first time I heard it, I thought someone's dog or cat got got. The sounds those things make are so earie. I hear it out there every once in a while through my office window when I'm working late.

This girl was in the field across from my mothers on Sat. One of the local farmers opened the gate and walked to the other end of the field were she was and slowly walked just to keep nudging her along until she came out of the open gate, crossed the road by my truck and headed for the brook in the woods. Incredible animal.

20201024_140753.jpg
20201024_140826.jpg
20201024_140856.jpg
20201024_140858.jpg

Back
Top Bottom